What's in a name, and a picture paints a thousand words.

Smoother

17 minutes ago, Snurre said:

I of course have you all to thank for increasing my vocabulary with words like "MOSFETS", "Faceplant" and "Threadderailmentism".:)

What! You mean no one has introduced you to the oh so descriptive phrases

"arse over tit" ? 

How about " bassackwards"

or a little Texan: " y'all" or the redundant plural, " y'all all" or the possessive "y'alls"

and last but not least " widgadiga"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Snurre said:

Hm. "The rain in Spain gone arse over tit bassackwards on y'all, widgadiga?".

Thanks, @Smoother. I will have to try that on the next English person I meet.:rolleyes:

That's pretty good.  It did rain here in Spain, but it wasn't the reason I flew arse over tit bassackwards and sprained my wrist.

In a sentence: you didn't bring your wheel widgadiga?

Yeah, sorry about your wrist. I saw your Gremlin thread and I hope you and your wheel recover well.

So can you say "You didn't say everything was alright widgadiga?":huh:

I'm using that name, because it is a rhyme, and, as already Pumuckl said: "Everything which rhymes is good!" :)

And I selected my Avatar because I have the greatest respect for dogs who care about safety in the mountains (this one always wears sunglasses on glaciers and a helmet below rocky walls, very exemplary even for humans (but his wife told me he is wearing the helmet even at home to protect himself from the neighbors cat, who sometimes throws flowerpots on him)).

19 hours ago, Snurre said:

Yeah, sorry about your wrist. I saw your Gremlin thread and I hope you and your wheel recover well.

So can you say "You didn't say everything was alright widgadiga?":huh:

No you can't. Even in slang, things have to make sense.  Here is the origin of widgadiga:

wid= with

ga= ya (slang for you)

di= did

ga= ya , again

so in correct English it is " with you, did you? it's a question, about whether or not you brought something or someone, WITH you.

but your theoretical question above, would be correct but correctly wrong ( if you see what I mean) like this:

"You didn't say everything was alright, didga? " (no reference to bringing something " widga ")

One more example and your almost a honorary southern boy,:

"hey, you didn't bring that sexy sister of yours widgadiga?"

56 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

I'm using that name, because it is a rhyme, and, as already Pumuckl said: "Everything which rhymes is good!" :)

And I selected my Avatar because I have the greatest respect for dogs who care about safety in the mountains (this one always wears sunglasses on glaciers and a helmet below rocky walls, very exemplary even for humans (but his wife told me he is wearing the helmet even at home to protect himself from the neighbors cat, who sometimes throws flowerpots on him)).

SOooo. Your name's not Herman, and your not German? I feel such a fool. All this time I had an image of you.  Wait! That's not even YOUR dog.  Oh my god. It's all a lie! I'm even starting to suspect the dog doesn't even have a wife.

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

SOooo. Your name's not Herman,

Check.

and your not German?

Check.

Wait! That's not even YOUR dog.  Oh my god. It's all a lie!

I would say, it's visualization!     :)

But: I really can talk with dogs, people say so, and what people say is always right.

And who knows:

https://www.youtube.com/v/fJ9rUzIMcZQ?start=5&end=12&autoplay=1

I'm even starting to suspect the dog doesn't even have a wife.

That's the only wrong assumption here, he has, and she's a good one.  Sometimes he is even jealous, because he thinks I caress her more softly than I do with him, but this is a pure illusion he has, I promise!

Cheers, virtual Herman

PS: 

Best greetings and thanks from my neighbor, because this posting urged me for the first time since 2 weeks to play a Queen song full volume via my big speakers - meaning the leaves falling off the trees in front of my house. :D

13 hours ago, Snurre said:

So can you say "You didn't say everything was alright widgadiga

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

No you can't. Even in slang, things have to make sense.  Here is the origin of widgadiga:

wid= with

ga= ya (slang for you)

di= did

ga= ya , again

so in correct English it is " with you, did you? it's a question, about whether or not you brought something or someone, WITH you.

but your theoretical question above, would be correct but correctly wrong ( if you see what I mean) like this:

"You didn't say everything was alright, didga? " (no reference to bringing something " widga ")

pone more example and your almost a honorary southern boy,:

"hey, you didn't bring that sexy sister of yours widgadiga?"

13 hours ago, Snurre said:

Dang, @Snurre, you sure picked up on that fast, I never heard that expression before and had no idea what it meant.  I still think you used it correctly, even though @Smoother put a finer point on it.

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

@HermanTheGerman why the flock am I watching bohemian rhapsody AT 6:45 am!!!???

I don't know. Why are you ? :)

@HermanTheGerman I don't see link. 

"is this the real life, is it just fantasy ..."

@HermanTheGerman And when you say "thanks from my neighbor " did he or did he not appreciate you blasting the block with 70s glam rock?

As always: it depends.

He appreciates it when he is invited for a glass of wine and we are doing it together.

He doesn't if I'm doing it alone.

4 hours ago, steve454 said:
On 11/22/2016 at 3:24 PM, Smoother said:

" widgadiga"

Shouldn't it be spelled "widgadidga"?  The diga part is what threw me off.:huh:

I was going to propose "wijadija". Or wichadidga. Witchadidja. Wigachiga, wagacaga...wa...ga... ARRRGHH @Smoother! You ruined my night sleep! Go away and take your cursed word widga!:blink:

112796330_e5137de33a_o Cropped.jpg

6 hours ago, steve454 said:

Shouldn't it be spelled "widgadidga"?  The diga part is what threw me off.:huh:

1 hour ago, Snurre said:

I was going to propose "wijadija". Or wichadidga. Witchadidja. Wigachiga, wagacaga...wa...ga... ARRRGHH @Smoother! You ruined my night sleep! Go away and take your cursed word widga!:blink:

112796330_e5137de33a_o Cropped.jpg

All good.  Spell it however you wish. I don't think I've ever seen it written down before this. 

Quote @HermanTheGerman "is this the real life, is it just fantasy ..." Ahhhh!! I get it now. No Bletchley Park code breaker, me.

Ah shuduppayouface!

2 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I do about 2-3 hours each day, reading news articles or dialog, writing short pieces and speaking with my teacher (Skype) in Harbin.   My wife and I spend ~3 months in China each year.  

3 months in China, speak Chinese,? May I ask why? Learning another language is difficult enough without having to go from an alphabet to characters (or vice versa). Again, my respect to all who do.

btw does anyone else think Chris looks like a young James T Kirk, captain of the star ship enterprise? What's the dog called, Spock?

I have various contracts (Tsinghua U, Beihang U, Chinese University of Science and Technology, Harbin Institute of Tech, Shanghai Public Security) and always travel on the China State's tab.  My first trip to China (Shanghai) was in 1992, and I have been fascinated with their development and society since.  My wife (who is Lebanese) and I really love the people and culture, and enjoy our time in China.   Chinese is a seriously tough language for Westerners (but the consolation is that English is just as tough for Chinese).

The dog?  He's got big ears like Spock, but we call him "Dusty" (a good dog's name, and appropriate for all the hair he leaves around the house).

On 22.11.2016 at 9:30 AM, zlymex said:

DSC_7947mp.jpg

Nice rack... Why so many voltage standards/references, for calibration? I just bought (used) HP34401A -bench meter + HP6632A programmable DC supply this week, awaiting them to arrive next week... Never realized so much used industry/professional level hardware is available and at quite cheap prices (compared to list-prices, the meter was 230€, the supply 110€, both cost way over 1000€ new).

Archived