IPS Battery Usage on Hills

The Fat Unicyclist

4 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

2-3 quick hard breaking maneuvers removes the alarm so I can keep going so I don't have to stop.

Feels really safe.

Yes, I've found that too - just a few seconds where the wheel isn't drawing too much power, and all is good.

But I have also found that if I push on (without breaking or cycling the wheel) for too long, the wheel will reach a point that it rocks backward and forward - even when not moving... Odd...

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, esaj said:

Hunka, basically you're right but not really.

20bc648656.gif  Well, the condensed version of it.  

<Dude, you're supposed to be my electronics guru wingman!  Don't voltage block me! :rolleyes:  How am I supposed to impress all the hot chix on the board who are into electronics?>

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

the load became the limiting factor well before the temperature was an issue.

I'm sure the battery is the primary factor, but I have become convinced that better heat dissipation does improve hill climbing. I noticed a difference when summer ended and outdoor temperatures around here became cooler. Hills that I had to carefully coax the wheel to climb during the summer, now the wheel seems to climb noticeably easier. Since the only thing that changed was the ambient temperature, I speculated that the wheel was able to release heat better and therefore was functioning better.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

20bc648656.gif  Well, the condensed version of it.  

<Dude, you're supposed to be my electronics guru wingman!  Don't voltage block me! :rolleyes:  How am I supposed to impress all the hot chix on the board who are into electronics?>

IMG_3827.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 7 months later...

@The Fat Unicyclist just found this thread, been reading some reviews of the LHotz, Someone said it performed near the same as the MSuper, just with less range, and people always say the IPS wheels have about the best climbing ability.  I just watched @MaxLinux's video review of the 121, he climbed some long, steep hills on it.  I didn't know they could go 30kmh either.  That was an interesting test you did.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist just found this thread, been reading some reviews of the LHotz, Someone said it performed near the same as the MSuper, just with less range, and people always say the IPS wheels have about the best climbing ability.  I just watched @MaxLinux's video review of the 121, he climbed some long, steep hills on it.  I didn't know they could go 30kmh either.  That was an interesting test you did.

I'm hoping to ride an MSuper this coming weekend... it will be interesting to compare. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, steve454 said:

people always say the IPS wheels have about the best climbing ability.

IPS 121 and 191 (Lhotz), both of which I ride regularly, are great hill climbers. I live in a very hilly area, so hill performance is very important to me. I've been very pleased with the hill capabilities of my IPS wheels. My latest wheel is a Gotway MSuper 2. It's better on hills, not by a very large margin, but enough to be noticeable. The extra power of the MSuper 2 adds confidence and makes hilly riding more relaxing. I'm saying MSuper 2 is definitely superior on hills to IPS 121 and 191, but not so superior that it makes me say "Wow, that's amazing!" I'll be interested to see what The Fat Unicyclist thinks of the comparison with MSuper 3. I'm assuming the margin of superiority will be larger.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, steve454 said:

been reading some reviews of the LHotz, Someone said it performed near the same as the MSuper, just with less range, and people always say the IPS wheels have about the best climbing ability.

So, just to make this clear, the Lhotz does in no way perform similar to the MSuper V3, except for tire width. While riding a Lhotz, at my 80 kg you always need to be careful to stay within the power limits of the wheel. On an MSV3 (not the s+, just the regular 67V version) when coming from riding the Lhotz, you won't even come near the power limitations of the wheel. Even when you're trying to. I won't say the Lhotz is a bad wheel, but it's just a 1000W P_max wheel, whereas the MSV3 is a 1500W cont. wheel, that can easily output up to 3500W P_max. Thats like comparing a 50 HP car with a 200 HP car. They will perform similarly as long as you don't exceed a power consumption of 50 HP. I still think the Lhotz is a good wheel for what it is, but it has it's limitations.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

IPS 121 and 191 (Lhotz), both of which I ride regularly, are great hill climbers. I live in a very hilly area, so hill performance is very important to me. I've been very pleased with the hill capabilities of my IPS wheels. My latest wheel is a Gotway MSuper 2. It's better on hills, not by a very large margin, but enough to be noticeable. The extra power of the MSuper 2 adds confidence and makes hilly riding more relaxing. I'm saying MSuper 2 is definitely superior on hills to IPS 121 and 191, but not so superior that it makes me say "Wow, that's amazing!" I'll be interested to see what The Fat Unicyclist thinks of the comparison with MSuper 3. I'm assuming the margin of superiority will be larger.

He did! The. Soldered connectors melted causing a cutoff