How I Instrument My Rides - WheelLog & Pebble

Marty Backe

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey Greg,

No, I haven't had problems with more than one device connected. In this particular case my phone is connected to the Pebble watch via bluetooth and at the same time there are two connections (via bluetooth) between my phone and the wheel: WheelLog app is communicating to the wheel, and my phones sound is connected to the wheels bluetooth speaker module. So in this scenario I have three bluetooth devices connected to the phone. Never had an issue.

Maybe it's time for a new phone ;-)

i can probably get a great deal on a NOTE 7 :huh:

thanks for your help

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Sven said:

I just received pebble and using a free android i got as promo when i opened account with sprint. All working good!

Great, and a free phone! When running WheelLog it's not obvious, but swipe from the left on the main screen to get to the configuration options. You'll probably want to at least change from km to miles. :cheers:

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Great, and a free phone! When running WheelLog it's not obvious, but swipe from the left on the main screen to get to the configuration options. You'll probably want to at least change from km to miles. :cheers:

Haha thanks i just did that. How dobi make sound again? Lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sven said:

Haha thanks i just did that. How dobi make sound again? Lol

You mean the horn? It's under Watch Preferences. And press the middle right button.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, esaj said:

No you don't, who wants to use non-sensical imperial measurement system? ;)  Metric is the way to go, it's all based on decades / orders of magnitude (basically divide or multiple by ten or a multiple of ten)... 1km (kilometer) = 1000 m (meters), 1 meter = 10dm (decimeters) or 100cm (centimeters) or 1000mm (millimeters), 1cm (centimeter) = 10mm (millimeters) and so on. See also SI-system:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units   and especially the prefixes:

Prefixes are added to unit names to produce multiple and sub-multiples of the original unit. All multiples are integer powers of ten, and above a hundred or below a hundredth all are integer powers of a thousand. For example, kilo- denotes a multiple of a thousand and milli- denotes a multiple of a thousandth, so there are one thousand millimetres to the metre and one thousand metres to the kilometre. The prefixes are never combined, so for example a millionth of a metre is a micrometre, not a millimillimetre. Multiples of the kilogram are named as if the gram were the base unit, so a millionth of a kilogram is a milligram, not a microkilogram.[22]:122[34]:14

Standard prefixes for the SI units of measure
Multiples Prefix name   deca hecto kilo mega giga tera peta exa zetta yotta
Prefix symbol   da h k M G T P E Z Y
Factor 100 101 102 103 106 109 1012 1015 1018 1021 1024

Fractions Prefix name   deci centi milli micro nano pico femto atto zepto yocto
Prefix symbol   d c m μ n p f a z y
Factor 100 10−1 10−2 10−3 10−6 10−9 10−12 10−15 10−18 10−21 10−24

Imperial units... you have 12 something to 1 something, then 3 something to 1 something... ;)  Probably nice in the 17th or whatever century, when you actually had to use your hands and feet to measure things? :P  

I hear you, and can do metric well enough (it's all we use in industry), but imperial measurements are still the natural units for Americans. It's how were grew up, so no matter what the rationalization, we still 'think' in miles. :)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I here you, and can do metric well enough (it's all we use in industry), but imperial measurements are still the natural units for Americans. It's how were grew up, so no matter what the rationalization, we still 'think' in miles. :)

I know, if I was taught in imperial units, I'd think of them as "natural" instead of metric, I was just trying to be a smart ass. The metric system does have it's advantages though, and if you count your fingers, you'll easily see where it's (at least I think so, haven't checked it up ;)) based on, it is "10-base". But when it comes to measuring things, it's all a matter of "common agreement", ie. what is "1 meter" or "1 inch" or whatever. A couple of fun facts (not fact-checked, pretty much off the top of my head, for some reason I pick up all kinds of trivia but can't remember people's birthdays or what day it is :P):

• Roman numerals have no character for zero ("0"), although they've used the latin word "nulla" ("none") for zero
  • There are ancient cultures that used numerical systems that were 16-base (hexadecimal), which is still used today, for example binary numbers (computer science) uses hexadecimals to represent lots of things like memory addresses, as 16 is a power of 2 (computers use binary, ie base-2 system), also base-20 and base-60
  • Ancient cultures were able to come up with things like mathematical systems that predict movements of celestial bodies without anything but measurements with very primitive instruments by modern standards and calculating "by hand"... :blink1:
  • The characters we use for numbers (0-9) are arabic
Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Code In Space said:

Now, if I could get it to display in mi/h instead of km/h.

I think you can do that in the wheel log options can't you ? Swipe left side of main screen right to get those options...

CBR

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I think you can do that in the wheel log options can't you ? Swipe left side of main screen right to get those options...

CBR

Cerbera, Excellent.  Thanks.  I did not know that was there.  (Noob to Android)

I think I should give you either a green up arrow or a heart.

Edited by Code In Space
Further thought.
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Code In Space said:

Marty, you inspired me to put Wheellog on my phone and connect it to my Pebble to diplay info from the Gotway ACM.

Really cool.

Now, if I could get it to display in mi/h instead of km/h.

Glad you like it and that @Cerbera was able to help you out. The author of WheelLog hails from England so that's why the default is metric.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3 July 2017 at 2:43 AM, esaj said:
  •  
  • The characters we use for numbers (0-9) are arabic

One tiny correction. I used to think this was true but a recent BBC documentary stated that Arab mathematicians gave us 1 to 9. Later it was someone in India who "invented" zero. Apparently if you're counting with pebbles in sand, when you remove a pebble it leaves a faint round impression, somewhat like a zero.  E.g. One pebble minus one pebble equals a round shaped nothing.

Speaking of pebbles, thanks to you @Marty Backe ? I "had" to buy one of these damn fiendish watches too.  This brings my EUC related spending this week to over £1,200. And I only asked where to buy an inner tube!   I'll be eating pot noodles for  quite a while longer now. ?

Edited by Smoother
Math(s)
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EUCMania said:

@Marty Backe, There are many different Pebble watches. Which one works with Wheellog? Anyone with bluetooth connection to phone?

The Pebble watch is standard. The only difference between them is styling. So pick one that you like and at your price point and it'll work with WheelLog just fine. If you search for "Pebble" on this forum you should find some references to particular models.

I've owned both the Pebble Steel and the Pebble Time and I recommend the Time over the Steel. The Steel model has a design flaw that caused corrupted display sometimes. I saw it on mine after just a few days of ownership and returned it. The Time has a higher quality display both in resolution and it is color which wheelog takes advantage of.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smoother said:

That's  great.  I think I ordered a Steel. I'll have to go check now. ?

OK. Just to complicate things..there is a Pebble Steel (bad), a Pebble Time (good), and a Pebble Time Steel (no idea). :w00t2:

This is the one I ended up with and I am happy with it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106IS5XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_ny4-zb5WF73N1

Another advantage of the Time is you can remove the strap easily with built in sprung clips. With the Steel I needed to get some precision screwdrivers to remove a tiny screw.