How I Instrument My Rides - WheelLog & Pebble

Marty Backe

Well @WARPed1701D , since we're playing "show and tell" , this is what I ordered.  

https://www.ebuyer.com/712097-pebble-smartwatch-jet-black-301bl

I can't tell if it's Steel, Time, Margerine or Elephant poo.  It does say "case: polycarbonate", or something like that.

Do I need an upgrade?

its obviously not colour, but I only want it to tell the speed. So for the price I think it will be ok, as long as the screen doesn't crap out as described by Marty. 

Oh crap. I just read the reviews. It appears to be the crappy screen model. I guess I'll keep it and see if it lasts. I really didn't do my due diligence on that purchase. I think I'll call it Way,

Got Way  ????

Edited by Smoother

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

That's  great.  I think I ordered a Steel. I'll have to go check now. ?

I own the Steel

519WtJBbvIL._SL1024_.jpg

Every once in awhile (a handful of times since I've owned it) the screen has gone wonky. But cycling through the buttons has always corrected it. So I still give the Steel a thumbs up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Well @WARPed1701D , since we're playing "show and tell" , this is what I ordered.  

https://www.ebuyer.com/712097-pebble-smartwatch-jet-black-301bl

I can't tell if it's Steel, Time, Margerine or Elephant poo.  It does say "case: polycarbonate", or something like that.

Do I need an upgrade?

its obviously not colour, but I only want it to tell the speed. So for the price I think it will be ok, as long as the screen doesn't crap out as described by Marty. 

Oh crap. I just read the reviews. It appears to be the crappy screen model. I guess I'll keep it and see if it lasts. I really didn't do my due diligence on that purchase. I think I'll call it Way,

Got Way  ????

I don't know anything about that one but I do know the problem with the Steel can be resolved by taking it apart and adding some folded paper to act as a shim to increase pressure on an internal connector. I thought about doing it but as it was brand new I felt returning it was the better option, plus the Time was $30 less. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jeff_Nelson said:

I found the WheelLog app for my Samsung Gear S3 Frontier smart watch. However when I put it on all the interface reads is 0 in all categories. The app is fired up on my phone and connected to my wheel... is there something I am missing?

Hi Jeff. Support for Samsung devices is very new to Wheelog and I don't think anyone in this thread has tried to use one. Maybe ask your question in the Wheelog thread for better help. 

So I've been playing with my new pebble ( original model, e-ink black and white). Such fun.  Downloaded about a thousand watch faces, got the wheel log connected ( don't know if it repeats wheel data yet as the wheel is about 40 miles away ).  So far so good. text and WhatsApp come through great.  Really enjoying it. Thanks @Marty Backe I knew you wouldn't steer me wrong. ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

So I've been playing with my new pebble ( original model, e-ink black and white). Such fun.  Downloaded about a thousand watch faces, got the wheel log connected ( don't know if it repeats wheel data yet as the wheel is about 40 miles away ).  So far so good. text and WhatsApp come through great.  Really enjoying it. Thanks @Marty Backe I knew you wouldn't steer me wrong. ?

Glad it's working so far. Don't forget to drag from the left (WheelLog) to get access to the configuration screen to setup how WheelLog functions on the watch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad it's working so far. Don't forget to drag from the left (WheelLog) to get access to the configuration screen to setup how WheelLog functions

Thanks. Didn't know that . Bewildering array of alarms.  So much to customise.  Always good to have something to keep the mind occupied . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad it's working so far. Don't forget to drag from the left (WheelLog) to get access to the configuration screen to setup how WheelLog functions on the watch.

It took me forever to find that menu first time around. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reviving this topic to ask for help on using my Pebble watch from eBay.

I have the Wheelog app form the google play store. (Version 4.4) but I am not able to get my watch to display speed or notify me of pre-set alarms.

@Marty Backe can you hop in with your boundless fountain of knowledge? How do I configure the Pebble watch to notify me of a 90 amp current (I've already set the alarm in Wheelog)

4 minutes ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Reviving this topic to ask for help on using my Pebble watch from eBay.

I have the Wheelog app form the google play store. (Version 4.4) but I am not able to get my watch to display speed or notify me of pre-set alarms.

@Marty Backe can you hop in with your boundless fountain of knowledge? How do I configure the Pebble watch to notify me of a 90 amp current (I've already set the alarm in Wheelog)

Do you have WheelLog running on the watch? If not, visit https://rebble.io to setup the watch and install the WheelLog Pebble App

• 3 months later...

Is everyone still tapping old eBay stock for Pebble watches? When they are finally gone, is anything going to work well and which has the display size needed to show information without changing the dpi described pages back?

There are still new ones to be had for a fraction of what they were new, but with every passing day you will at very least be looking at battery replacement sooner than later.

Thanks,

Ben

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr.Ben said:

Is everyone still tapping old eBay stock for Pebble watches? When they are finally gone, is anything going to work well and which has the display size needed to show information without changing the dpi described pages back?

There are still new ones to be had for a fraction of what they were new, but with every passing day you will at very least be looking at battery replacement sooner than later.

Thanks,

Ben

Yes, at this point. But @Seba is doing great work with the new app and it's promising that the current crop of smart watches will work with it. The only downside is that these smart watches are a lot more money than a ~$35 Pebble.

• Like 1