[SPLIT] from EUC Talent Contest 2016 Winners - FB Post

US69

15 hours ago, John Eucist said:

@dalewalker The winners were chosen by the forum members by voting (moderators and organizers excluded) and not by a select panel of judges.  You could have voted too.  I'm aware that you have only "just discovered" this old thread (about your fb post) and that you feel you needed to voice, which you have.  That said, can we now put this behind? :) 

"No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time" - Winston Churchill

Well said John.

kinda going off topic here, but i LOVE Winston Churchill quotes. My favorite one is " you will never reach your destination, if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks". His was a great man, his wisdom reverberates with me a great deal.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Cloud said:

@Rehab1, you might want to reconsider reusing that ice. As somone in the medical field, you should know, that once applied to one's bottom, it kinda becomes a personal item. You might wanna get a new ( unused) bag of ice for yourself :) 

I agree. Anyway it would just melt before it made to America:P

Come to think of it France does belong to NATO with the USA (National Ass Treatment Organization). There must be some hygienic safeguards in place! :cheers:

I think if @Hirsute had a 6 year old film his stunts on an Ektachrome Super 8 camera, he still would be amazing to watch so no I don't think video editing has much to do with anything in the contest.  He could have pieced his submission together on an iPhone with iMovie, and he still would have won just because of his talent and creativity.  To suggest otherwise is an unjustified insult.

Give talent credit for what it is.  A "professional" is just a person who just happens to practice a bit more at his / her craft.  Training?  I'm pretty sure they practice all their stunts themselves as this trick riding stuff is uncharted territory for most people.  What you might not be able to see in the videos are the hours and hours of practice along with the blood, sweat and tears involved. To be able to do these tricks you see in the videos you better believe that they have worked hard on them.  @Jonathan Tolhurst looks like he practices a lot.  I'd consider him a professional Ninebot stunt artist.  Should people with talent be exempted from winning a contest just because you think they are at a professional level?  Where's the cutoff point?

In any case, arguing with people on the internet is pretty pointless.  Everyone has a right to their opinion so whatever.  Don't matter too much to me!  :innocent1:

16 hours ago, Cloud said:

@Hirsute you are amazing on the wheel and everyone knows that. Not only are you amazing, you are also an inspiration to many aspiring riders.  Of course you won thanks to your euc skills! 

hope he doesn't fart in your face while you have your nose tucked up there mate.

Have you tried any of the tricks submitted for the competition?

I guarantee some of the tricks the others submitted were alot harder and take more skill than the ones damien used in his video.

Thats why i don't think he should have won. (my opinion, im entitled to it)

When you say "of course you won thanks to your euc skills!" i instantly think "wtf?....this guys either an idiot or his full of crap"

i believe he won thanks to his performance training and editing ability NOT on his trick portfolio.

I know people are going to carry on again because i said this but what im saying is 100% true so i dont care what other people think of me for saying it. 

people are going to talk crap regardless.

If you were to get half a dozen skateboard or bmx riders and get them to watch and  judge the top 3 entrants based on tricks only and i guarantee the end result will be different.

if your going to hold an euc competition then make it an euc competition not a film making competition, or have both as separate categories (best euc tricks and best euc video), may end up with some real funny entrants for the euc video category while keeping the euc trick comp based on euc tricks

i know it was the 1st time and we learn as we progress and good on those that put it together.

in summary, I didn't and still don't think its fair the comp was won on film making ability when it's supposed to be an euc trick competition. 

I know what kind of training he has had better than 99% of you because i was going to do the same training  in Australia 10 years ago at NICA (National Institution of Circus Arts) and a few of my friends did it and now have a degree in circus. (yes you can actually get that)

I spent heaps of time there.

I know the training he's had and that along with helping out with multiple bmx competitions over the years probably makes me one of the most educated out of us all on this type of matter and I'm being told I'm wrong by people that have absolutely no background with this type of thing. 

Anyway... whats done is done.

some of  you don't like me because I'm too open and honest but end of the day if i didn't say anything about it the next 1 would be just as unfair because the issue would not have been addressed.

may not make me popular but what i have done is a good thing and its got positive repercussions that will benifit all the entrants next time because it puts them all on an equal playing field  and the focus will be more on the tricks

16 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think if @Hirsute had a 6 year old film his stunts on an Ektachrome Super 8 camera, he still would be amazing to watch so no I don't think video editing has much to do with anything in the contest.  He could have pieced his submission together on an iPhone with iMovie, and he still would have won just because of his talent and creativity.  To suggest otherwise is an unjustified insult.

Give talent credit for what it is.  A "professional" is just a person who just happens to practice a bit more at his / her craft.  Training?  I'm pretty sure they practice all their stunts themselves as this trick riding stuff is uncharted territory for most people.  What you might not be able to see in the videos are the hours and hours of practice along with the blood, sweat and tears involved. To be able to do these tricks you see in the videos you better believe that they have worked hard on them.  @Jonathan Tolhurst looks like he practices a lot.  I'd consider him a professional Ninebot stunt artist.  Should people with talent be exempted from winning a contest just because you think they are at a professional level?  Where's the cutoff point?

In any case, arguing with people on the internet is pretty pointless.  Everyone has a right to their opinion so whatever.  Don't matter too much to me!  :innocent1:

did you watch the other entrants videos? damiens was entertaining and done really well but if you go on the tricks alone there is at least 2 other entrants with a bigger range of harder tricks and they were overlooked because their limited home video quality couldn't hold a candle to the professional quality vid that damien did an amazing job of

Votes don't lie so I'll trust that people chose who they thought should win based on whatever factors they decided on whether it was best combination of tricks, most entertaining, best looking, coolest storyline, whatever.  You can't break it down into simple elements unless you have an Olympic venue to hold the contest in, and even then judges will be influenced by appearances.  You can argue technical points and whatnot, but when it comes down to it what has been done is done.  If the judges are forum members they are free to pick who they want to win.  If a professional non-electric unicyclist were to practice on an EUC and enter, should they be disqualified due to prior balancing experience?  I know where you are coming from, trust me.  It would be nice to be able to balance out (self-balance?) the playing field, but it's likely not possible.

If you have a better sense of how a contest should be run and judged, it might be an idea to host your own version and offer a wheel prize up rather than criticizing how this contest was run, or maybe offer a prize to whoever you judge should be the best technical winner as you seem to be the professional in this regard.  Your good friend @Jason McNeil offered some cash prizes up so feel free to contribute something for the "Best Technical Trick Performance Sponsored by Dale Walker" category.  Put your money where your mouth is if you feel that strongly about it.  :innocent1:

I'm as upfront as the next guy and don't mind when people speak their mind if they have a valid point to consider, but I think that the majority of people seemed to be okay with the contest and how it was run so talking smack just isn't going to get you too far I think.  That's just my 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If you have a better sense of how a contest should be run and judged, it might be an idea to host your own version and offer a wheel prize up rather than criticizing how this contest was run, or maybe offer a prize to whoever you judge should be the best technical winner as you seem to be the professional in this regard.  Your good friend @Jason McNeil offered some cash prizes up so feel free to contribute something for the "Best Technical Trick Performance Sponsored by Dale Walker" category.  Put your money where your mouth is if you feel that strongly about it.  :innocent1:

Bingo!!! There was also an anonymous donor that contributed  6- $50 runner up prizes! Dale could have easily contributed!  

19 hours ago, Hirsute said:

After all the hours and hours of training, i have the ass on fire when i read again that my video is just a "wow editing effect". I thought that i did a high skills act with comedy.

But nevermind, i will take some ice for my ass, and i go back on my trapeze.

you did do a high skilled act with comedy, i loved it. its great, all im saying is it is a professional production in a competition against amateur home videos and it was no surprise it won because its really good but i think that wow factor took a lot of the attention away from the other entrants and their big tricks got overlooked. its not a personal thing mate i just seen it as unfair because bringing the performance side in made it an uneven playing field 

17 hours ago, steve454 said:

Good presentation is a big part of a contest, maybe this will get others more involved with the video portion.

not everyone has the ability, i tried making a promo vid last year and all i had was a friend following me with my mobile phone filming and the editing i had to learn as i was doing it lol. looks crap compared to these fancy ones lol

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Votes don't lie so I'll trust that people chose who they thought should win based on whatever factors they decided on whether it was best combination of tricks, most entertaining, best looking, coolest storyline, whatever.  You can't break it down into simple elements unless you have an Olympic venue to hold the contest in, and even then judges will be influenced by appearances.  You can argue technical points and whatnot, but when it comes down to it what has been done is done.  If the judges are forum members they are free to pick who they want to win.  If a professional non-electric unicyclist were to practice on an EUC and enter, should they be disqualified due to prior balancing experience?  I know where you are coming from, trust me.  It would be nice to be able to balance out (self-balance?) the playing field, but it's likely not possible.

I'm as upfront as the next guy and don't mind when people speak their mind if they have a valid point to consider, but I think that the majority of people seemed to be okay with the contest and how it was run so talking smack just isn't going to get you too far I think.  That's just my 2 cents.

that sounds ridiculous, you ever seen or been to a trick competition? i have been to heaps of them and none of them were in an Olympic stadium. This was an euc trick competition, if someone gets off their euc and starts spinning a ribbon around instead and the crowd like it hes not going to win because the competition is for euc tricks not ribbon spinning. different aspects aren't to be thrown in to be judged on. its a trick comp, it should be judged on the tricks not who looks the best or a bloody storyline. its completely possible to even out the playing feild, every other extreme sports competition manages. easiest way to keep it fair is to not add things to the judging criteria. if its an euc trick comp it should be judged on euc tricks alone just like if it was a skateboarding competition would be judged on the skateboard tricks or if it was a bmx competition it would be judged on bmx tricks. id be happy to discuss the next one with them if they want help and are willing to take on some constructive criticism 

@dalewalker. Saying that someone won mostly due to some other skills and not the the euc riding skills could be a matter of opinion. But saying that someone's victory was unfair when the person complied with the rules and was voted the 1st place by the majority of the voters, and in accordance with the judging rules, is either insanity or trolling of sorts. And you dont strike me as an insane person.

Arguing or trying to reason with you just fuels the fire you have started. I was wrong to even say something in the first place.

@dalewalker. Saying that someone won mostly due to some other skills and not the the euc riding skills could be a matter of opinion. But saying that someone's victory was unfair when the person complied with the rules and was voted the 1st place by the majority of the voters, and in accordance with the judging rules, is either insanity or trolling of sorts. And you dont strike me as an insane person.

Arguing or trying to reason with you just fuels the fire you have started. I was wrong to even say something in the first place.

making excuses doesn't fix anything, it shouldn't be any different to any other competition. if its an euc trick competition then it should be judged solely on euc tricks. if the competition isn't run fairly people won't bother wasting there time

3 minutes ago, dalewalker said:

making excuses doesn't fix anything, it shouldn't be any different to any other competition. if its an euc trick competition then it should be judged solely on euc tricks. if the competition isn't run fairly people won't bother wasting there time

The "JUDGE" was every forum member including yourself, had you participated.  :facepalm:

16 hours ago, John Eucist said:

The "JUDGE" was every forum member including yourself, had you participated.  :facepalm:

yeah i was pretty busy at that time getting my business together. i think thats half the problem. a trick competition should be judged by a panel of about 5 people that know the difficulty of the tricks instead of people going "i like that 1" and voting based on things that arent part of the competition

I'm fairly certain the contest wasn't purely an EUC trick competition.  It was a EUC talent contest.  Talent is a pretty broad term.  Anyone could enter with any video as long as it fit within the rules.  You could have entered with a humourous storyline without any tricks if you wanted to.  @EUC Extreme could have entered with an off-roading video if he wanted.  You may be confused as to what the original intent and spirit of this event was about.

"Olympic venue" was meant to refer to an example of a highly standardized judging event, but okay whatever you're absolutely right.  This contest was rigged! I should have been the winner!!!  Talent schmalent!  I wuz discriminated against.  Hirsute's videos were all CGI and green screen!  I'm sure of it!  I demand a vote recount!  :pooping:

1 minute ago, dalewalker said:

yeah i was pretty busy at that time getting my business together. i think thats half the problem. a trick competition should be judged by a panel of about 5 people that know the difficulty of the tricks instead of people going "i like that 1" and voting based on things that arent part of the competition

So then make your own competition with your own rules.  Get five people of your choice to be the judge instead of "the people".  Problem (for you) solved.

16 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm fairly certain the contest wasn't purely an EUC trick competition.  It was a EUC talent contest.  Talent is a pretty broad term.  Anyone could enter with any video as long as it fit within the rules.  You could have entered with a humourous storyline without any tricks if you wanted to.  @EUC Extreme could have entered with an off-roading video if he wanted.  You may be confused as to what the original intent and spirit of this event was about.

"Olympic venue" was meant to refer to an example of a highly standardized judging event, but okay whatever you're absolutely right.  This contest was rigged! I should have been the winner!!!  Talent schmalent!  I wuz discriminated against.  Hirsute's videos were all CGI and green screen!  I'm sure of it!  I demand a vote recount!  :pooping:

well your clearly not taking it too seriously if you cant discuss these things without trying to make jokes

16 hours ago, John Eucist said:

So then make your own competition with your own rules.  Get five people of your choice to be the judge instead of "the people".  Problem (for you) solved.

im trying to help but all im getting is crap like this. why does everyone have to get defensive about it and throw it back on me? its not my bloody competition. here i am trying to help by trying to make it more fair next time but instead of discussing it as adults or taking a bit of constructive criticism your all just sulking and saying "you do it then".

jesus people if you want your competitions to be successful they have to be fair or else there not going to be worth putting on.

if you think a 12yo losing to a professional rider that has less tricks but better production abilities is fair then good luck.

its just shameful if you ask me. i dont mean what happened, thats a learning point. i mean the fact youd rather give me crap than sort your problem out, thats whats shameful

2 minutes ago, dalewalker said:

im trying to help but all im getting is crap like this. why does everyone have to get defensive about it and throw it back on me? its not my bloody competition. here i am trying to help by trying to make it more fair next time but instead of discussing it as adults or taking a bit of constructive criticism your all just sulking and saying "you do it then".

jesus people if you want your competitions to be successful they have to be fair or else there not going to be worth putting on.

if you think a 12yo losing to a professional rider that has less tricks but better production abilities is fair then good luck.

its just shameful if you ask me. i dont mean what happened, thats a learning point. i mean the fact youd rather give me crap than sort your problem out, thats whats shameful

You've made your opinion heard, and then some.  Nobody seems to agree with you.  Move along?

I am just curious to see what changes or modifications Dale would have implemented in the competition rules. I went back through 11 pages of discussions concerning the contest rules dating back to July and unfortunately not one single suggestion or comment came from @dalewalker.  Dale you now have chance to  make any changes or modifications to the contest rules below you believe would benefit next year's contest and they will be taken under consideration. Thank you! 

Welcome To The 1st Annual International EUC Talent Contest 

Contest Introduction

Welcome to The 1st Annual International EUC Video Talent Contest! The contest is designed to allow international EUC riders a chance to demonstrate their unique riding skills involving elements such as: Unique Style, Difficulty, Number of Tricks, Consistency, Creativity or any other skills that translate into pure fun Entertainment! 

Prizes

1st Place: Choice between either a Brand New  Inmotion V5F+ or the New V8 model! 

2nd Place: $300 

3rd Place: $200

*If the grand prize winner selects the V5F+ for their grand prize they will be allowed a choice of colors: Black or White. The V8 model is black only.

The EUC Moderators have generously offered to donate their time and provide the logistics for monitoring the contest and tallying the final votes.

Jason McNeil of EWheel.Com has generously provided the logistics for storing and shipping the new Inmotion models throughout the contest and is now giving the 1st place winner an opportunity to select between either the Inmotion V5F+ or V8 models . Jason will also be providing free shipping to the winner worldwide making sure the correct charger and electrical plug is applicable for the destination country. 

Rules:

Contest Entry:

Simply upload a short (3 minute maximum) video showing off your unique riding tricks and stunts onto You Tube or any other video sharing web site. Submit the link of your video to the EUC Forum Topic titled: ‘EUC Video Talent Submission Site’. Contest video entries can be submitted anytime beginning August 1, 2016 and ending at midnight PST September 30, 2016.  *Please Do Not Submit Your Videos To This Topic Site! 

1) To properly identify a video submission contestants are required to post their EUC Forum Username and Date of the recorded video at the beginning of the video presentation.

2) Submitted videos can contain music as long as you observe all licensing and royalty rights of the artist that produced the music. You Tube has been known to block portions or an entire video containing copyrighted material. To read more on You Tube's copyright rules please visit: https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/

3) Submitted videos must show current riding performances that have been recorded between the beginning of contest start date of August 1, 2016 through the final contest date of September 30, 2016.  Submitted video footage recorded prior toAugust 1, 2016 will be disqualified.

4) Video submissions must be original content created by the contestant and must not contain any elements that are protected by someone else’s copyright or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property or proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights.

5) Video submissions containing a contestant's company logo is allowed.

6) Performances featuring more than of person in the routine is allowed.

Judging:

Upon completion of the EUC Video Talent Contest forum members will be allowed to cast votes for their favorite video(s). Polling will be cast on a specific site established in the near future by the moderators titled:  ‘EUC Video Talent Contest Polling Site’. The polling site will open on October 1, 2016 and close at midnight PST, Sunday, October 9, 2016.

Forum members are allowed to cast a vote for more than one contestant but can only vote once for an individual contestant.The contestant with the highest poll number tabulated by the EUC Forum Moderators will be declared the winner.

The EUC Forum Moderators will monitor and have sole discretion over the entire contest and will adhere to the contest rules and may remedy any matters they may come up during the duration of the contest including decisions of disqualification of video submissions. The EUC Moderators will also be involved in confirming the final vote tally that determines the winner.

*EUC Forum Moderators and Rehab1 are not allowed to cast a vote for any contestant’s video entered into the contest. Moderator family members are allowed to submit videos.

In order to conduct a fair and unbiased contest  EUC Forum members who wish to cast votes for the best video(s) that determines the 1st, 2nd and 3rd  place winners must have joined the EUC Forum by July 31, 2016 and must also have at least  5 positive reputations.

EUC Forum Members who have joined the forum after July 31, 2016 can still vote for their favorite contestant in the form of a 'reputation' on the 'EUC Video Talent Submission Site'. 

**Important: There are no date restrictions for EUC Members wishing to enter the contest by submitting a video s). Contestants can enter their videos at anytime as long as the videos are submitted prior to the contest video submission deadline ending 12 am PST, September 30, 2016.

*Any questions or comments concerning the contest can be submitted to this topic site. We will attempt to answer all questions within 24 hours.

Best of Wishes and Good Luck!

@dalewalker@KingSong69@Rehab1 it is a tough one, what I think would be good would be to do 2 category's, have 5 judges that know how difficult certain tricks can be and get them to judge the trick competition and have another prize for the peoples choice award for the best video judged by the public. That way  its an equal playing field for the trick comp and we also get the professional productions like Damien's for entertainment. May even get some really funny ones enter for the Euc vid comp. People could even enter both categories with different videos for each one or use the 1 video to enter both.

I understand that would mean more prizes but hopefully you can get sponsors to donate.

I think that covers everything.

Too bad the world is so big, would be awesome if we could all go to an event/live comp. 

I welcome discussions about the pros and cons of my suggestions.

Holefuy there helpful

18 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

So i'm not allowed to take part to the tricks competition?

And who are the other professionnals for the "professionnals categorie"?

Of course you would be aloud to enter, it just means the trick competition would be based only on tricks and your other skills at performing would have its own section. Potentially you could win both category's.

Your entry was a really good video and I think your performance skills is what won it for you. I stil think your one of the best riders, I just believe there was a few tricks a couple of the other riders did that were harder tricks and should have won it for them but their videos didn't have that professional wow factor yours had. It's hard to let the public judge on skills when they don't actually understand the difficulty of them. Some people think slalom is a cool trick.

If I was a judge I would have given your entry a 9/10 but a couple others would have got 9.5/10 on there tricks.

Only give myself a 7.5/10 skills wise at the moment, been way too busy to practice tricks lately

Archived