Experienced Unicyclist Tries A EUC - First Time!

dpong

Experienced conventional unicyclist "LargeEddie", a member at the forum http://unicyclist.com met with me and rode my Ninebot One E+ successfully after about 3 minutes of "instruction." 

I was astounded at the ease with which he acquired this new skill.  @John Eucist  He wasn't just riding, he was turning and dismounting as well!

My meager attempts at riding a conventional Uni have not yet yielded these spectacular results. 

27 minutes ago, dpong said:

Experienced conventional unicyclist "LargeEddie", a member at the forum http://unicyclist.com met with me and rode my Ninebot One E+ successfully after about 3 minutes of "instruction." 

Can't find the video right now but there was a guy from UK who purchased the Ninebot and documented his learning and experience via series of lengthy YT videos and one of the episodes was exactly like yours - he met with his friend who was riding normal unicycle and they swapped and indeed the friend was zooming around on EUC in no time and guy didn't even managed to mount the mechanical unicycle :D 

EDIT: This is him:

And here's the bit with mechanical unicycle (from 39:20):

Having ridden a traditional unicycle helps tremendously. I rode one in my high school days, and very infrequently after that, but that's what I credit with being able to learn after two, maybe three 10 minute sessions, 36 years after regularly riding the traditional type.

Also, you can see he has a well developed sense of balance, since he can ride so slowly from the start. This is not the way most beginners would learn, and if you are a neophyte just starting out, good forward speed is one of the most important elements in learning more easily.

Yes, the transition from mechanical to electric is quite easy although it took me a bit longer than the video-guys. During my university years I lived in a student housing where all the rooms led out to a long corridor. You could just barely touch both walls of it when cycling so it was a perfect learning ground. It took me several days to get the hang of pedalling it, though.

When trying the EUC I was missing the saddle that connected me to the wheel so I realized after a while that I was crouching too much and squeezing the sides too hard. Then again I had no instructions to go by.

Unicyclists learned to balance left-right as well as front-back. Where as electric unicyclists only learned the left-right and let software balance our front-back.  Hence why it's much easier for a unicyclist to learn eucs but not the other way around.

This is actually pretty encouraging. He may have been able to ride right away, but he is just as wobbly and insecure on the wheel as i was - and still am. I have a harder time learning this skill than I though I would have. I'm not going to give up though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to teach a 13 year old with unicycle skills how to ride. While I was describing how the EUC worked he just rode off and had the ability to stop and start and turn with no practice. Very humbling. I've taught a handful of other talented unicycle riders and most had the basics down in just a few minutes.

Like others have said, riding a pedaled unicycle is harder than an EUC because you now have to balance front and back. There's a unicycle football league near where I live and all of those guys can immediately get moving on my EUCs. Mounting and dismounting is still the hardest thing to learn for them though.

I'll be more curious how fast someone who can ride a BC Wheel can be a pro on an EUC.....

42 minutes ago, Shoe73 said:

Amazing video

Wow...definitely a trunk, arm, leg, neck, fingers, toes, ears, eyes and nose work out! A pedestrian would be a bit scared watching this guy coming at them?

6 hours ago, Vik's said:

Maybe get rid of the seat? Add a decent mudguard, and a carry handle. Make the pedals a bit bigger - and up the performance a bit...

20160607_150618.jpg

Now that looks better! 

While trying to not brag but having been a skilled pedal uniguy for 50 years plus, the E U C was easy from minute one.

We have also taught a few ski racers to ride in literally minutes with teaching using as few words as possible and concepts like this.

Stand up straight, look forward.

With a helper on each side palm up, uni learner palms down, walking speed to learn how E U C handles, exactly the same way to teach pedal uni!

Apply equal foot pressure to pedal front to advance, heels to stop, side to side weight shift to control turning.

3 guys were riding in like 5 minutes and able to do slow wide turns and control speed well.

ukj

12 hours ago, JoyRide said:

@Vik's I had a look at that SBU. While it looks pretty to me and it seems to have some interesting safety features, the battery is awfully weak and the price is ridiculously high :o

At first sight it is right. But if we consider other things like where it is designed, battery chemistry (LiFePO4) and that they are pioneers of electric unicycle and are at ca. same price level as Solowheel.... And there are 1000W motor, massive 18" wheel, sturdy aluminium construction... Sounds like a good product anyway.

• 2 months later...

It's worth mentioning that all the computer components in the SBU are the same as the solowheel. FocusDesigns is an electronic design consultancy and they licensed their work from the SBU to Solowheel.

Archived