Recommendation for next EUC purchase -KS18,MSuper v3, KS16

Sketch

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to riding electric unicycles. I just recently began riding an EUC after spending the last year or so riding a boosted board and Onewheel.  I wanted an 18 in wheel, but the ones I wanted were not available at the time.  I ended up purchasing a KS 14c with the big battery from Jason at ewheels who is an outstanding dealer by the way.  This became my first wheel and I have become fairly proficient on it and like it a lot.  I want to purchase two other wheels to enjoy and ride with my family.  The three I have narrowed it down with are the KS 18, MSuper v3 and KS 16.  I like the idea of the 18 inch wheel for increased stability, but I do like the design of the KS 16 and it's trolley handle.    I'm 44 years old and don't push the speed limits to the max.  I do like the large foot pedals of the MSuper for my size 12 (US) shoe.  I'm 6'3" and weight about 185lb If that helps any. Any input would be appreciated. Of these 3, which are your favorites.  Feel free to add other suggestions if I missed one that should be in the list.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forums @Sketch

I'd put them personally in this order (after seeing all 3):

1. KS-16 ... optimal size and performance, very good build quality

2. MSuper V3 ... great range if you'd go for 16xx Wh version, large pedals, much more compact than KS-18 but much worse built quality, flimsy and short trolley handle, no speakers, heavy (about 25 Kg with largest battery)

3. KS-18... way to big to my liking, 4 speakers, seat, no trolley handle, older generation of the wheel

as you've not specified the battery size / requested range I'd also add Inmotion V8 to the (top of the) list as that's the latest generation of EUC and surpasses in the build quality and design all above wheels/

Thanks @HEC for your recommendations.  I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback.  I didn't now the MSuper had a flimsy feel to the trolley handle.  I also have been reading that the foot pedals rattle a bit in the up position.  Maybe I need to stick to Kingsong.  I've been happy with them so far.  I wish I could  get MSuper size pedals on the  Ks18. 

I just checked out the Inmotion V8.  What makes this wheel so much better quality besides the weight compared to the ks16?  Just curious besides range and a little speed increase, what the differences are.

I would like to have @KingSong69 chime in as well if you have time.  I know you have owned all the kingsong and MSuper v3.

Thanks

34 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I just checked out the Inmotion V8.  What makes this wheel so much better quality besides the weight compared to the ks16?  Just curious besides range and a little speed increase, what the differences are.

Thanks

The thing with the Inmotion V8 is that is the newest technology with the 84 V circuitry. If you are looking to buy a wheel with the latest and greatest technology look no further than this one. For me, however, the issue remains the lack of battery size. The range will be far less than the KS16, etc. I am 85 kg and this concerns me a great deal. Also, the perceived and actual quality of the V8 is much higher according to all those who have seen it. No wheel is without fault, however, but to me it's biggest fault is its lack of battery capacity which of course we know is a necessity because of how slim it is.  

@Sketch The new InMotion EUC wheels, both V5 series and the new V8, are the only wheels mentioned that are built from the ground up (not modified e-bike brushless motors). Where the other companies are just improving the speed and torque of their EUC revisions, InMotion has created a new driving style / handling to their wheels (which I personally prefer and think is better than the other brands).

Also, others on the forum I believe have said that the higher operational 84V allows a more efficient use of battery power (can't profess to be an expert on this).

And the various intricate convenience features (indents in the case to allow the wheel to stand vertically, under handle wheel kill button to allow you to lift the EUC while on, etc.) are extremely well thought out and better executed than the other brands. (not to mention overall quality of build is a step above Gotway/KingSong and on par, IMO, with Ninebot, important when you are troubleshooting, changing inner tubes, tires, battery, etc.).

Just started looking again, into an upgrade for myself & noted that the Inmotion V8 has a number of admirers.
As mentioned above, the battery aspect appears to be the only real disappointment but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the range given in the specification relates to the use of speaker & lights?
I don't know if it's standard practice to claim the range from just travelling by an 'average' weight person with no lights etc.??

Anyone able to shed some light on this for me please?
Thanks.

Weight will be a big factor on your range. Lights and music should have very little impact. If you are asking about standard practice for EUC range specifications, I think they compute the range by taking the lightest person they can find, on level ground, with a tailwind, then they double that result and publish it as the spec. 

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

Thanks @HEC for your recommendations.  I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback.  I didn't now the MSuper had a flimsy feel to the trolley handle.  I also have been reading that the foot pedals rattle a bit in the up position.  Maybe I need to stick to Kingsong.  I've been happy with them so far.  I wish I could  get MSuper size pedals on the  Ks18. 

I would like to have @KingSong69 chime in as well if you have time.  I know you have owned all the kingsong and MSuper v3.

Thanks

Please, read my review especial of Msuper3, where i compared it to the Ks18! i also reviewed the Ks18 and 16...

I am really to lazy to write all again :-)

Just one or two things:

Pedals of Msuper are just 1 cm longer than Ks16/18...no need to worry....pedals on all are good!

one thing to the Ks18: there are new versions with fans on the board, new bluetooth usage (the complete bt switch section on the one side now is gone)...its just nobody here reviewed it until now! So i can not agree with HEC that the KS18 is "older" generation"...absolutly not!

All wheels are great! if i have to choose from all 3....difficult...each has its own advantages ....(see reviews) ;-)

KS is qualitywise, and "goodie" wise much in front....v3 is fastest on planet now, but takes a lot of batterie juice when going fast, a real lot!

On 19.9.2016 at 7:51 PM, Sketch said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to riding electric unicycles. I just recently began riding an EUC after spending the last year or so riding a boosted board and Onewheel.  I wanted an 18 in wheel, but the ones I wanted were not available at the time.  I ended up purchasing a KS 14c with the big battery from Jason at ewheels who is an outstanding dealer by the way.  This became my first wheel and I have become fairly proficient on it and like it a lot.  I want to purchase two other wheels to enjoy and ride with my family.  The three I have narrowed it down with are the KS 18, MSuper v3 and KS 16.  I like the idea of the 18 inch wheel for increased stability, but I do like the design of the KS 16 and it's trolley handle.    I'm 44 years old and don't push the speed limits to the max.  I do like the large foot pedals of the MSuper for my size 12 (US) shoe.  I'm 6'3" and weight about 185lb If that helps any. Any input would be appreciated. Of these 3, which are your favorites.  Feel free to add other suggestions if I missed one that should be in the list.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

I just read again on central sentence: " i do not push speed limits to the max..."

If you are not going/wanting for 40kmh .....i would advise to the Ks16 here....

btw: all over 30-32 does not feel comfortable any more (to ME).....best cruising speed i feel about 27kmh

V8 for sure has best bulidquality and newest technologie...but the batterie is imho to small...

7 hours ago, Kroy said:

As mentioned above, the battery aspect appears to be the only real disappointment but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the range given in the specification relates to the use of speaker & lights?

Impact of having lights and music turned on is negligible. At optimum cruising speed your wheel will be using around 350W and in average around 500W with all the accelerations and dynamics of the ride. The lights and speakers will take about 5 to 7.5W max so it's about 1 to 1.5% of overall consumption so if your range will be let's say 50 Km on full charge you'll loose about 500 to 750m if you'll use light all the time which is IMO well worth for the sake of security.

Thanks to all of you for your input on this.  @houseofjob thanks for your explanation about Inmotion creating a wheel just for EUC and not using an electric bike hub.  I still think the longer range is something that would be more desirable.  

Thanks @KingSong69 for your reviews on these wheels.  I had a chance to read them and picked up a lot of great info.  Good to know about the pedal length on the ks18 being not that much smaller than the MSuper.  At this point I'm leaning toward the ks16 and the latest addition of  ks18 when Jason gets it in.  Of course my decision  seems to be changing on a daily basis.  We will see.  Thanks

I can't say anything about the MSuper, but when I bought the KS16, I tried both the KS18 and KS16 before (though I tended to the KS16 from the beginning).

At the end it was like I thought, the KS18 felt to heavy and bulky for me, so I bought the KS16, unfortunately with the 680 battery, not the 840.

Don't misunderstand me, I like it a lot, but that's the problem: I ran already 2 times out of juice, thanks God not far from my car. :-)

With the wheel 100% charged, I have a range of roughly 42 km (85kg weight, quite flat terrain, no wind, average riding speed roughly 25 km/h, distance measured with a Garmin GPS and track later compared on a map, both distance values were different only by 0,2km ).

I like it a lot to ride with the KS16, it feels agile and stable at the same time, has the extensible handlebar and can be even carried for some time if necessary. On flat biketrails it's easy to keep a speed of 25 km/h or higher, to me it's currently the ultimate wheel.  Though the above mentioned V8 sounds great, I already looked at it a few days ago, but for me it would not be the right one, because in my case range counts most.

@HermanTheGerman Thanks for your input about your KS-16.  I like a lot about the KS-16, but I would like the off road capabilities of an 18in wheel.  Waiting to hear more feedback on the MSuper v3.  I like that design a lot as well.  Thanks to everyone for your feedback.  I hope to make a desiscion soon.

25 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

Does anybody know which has the harder ride mode? Coming off my NB I tried a ACM and it felt really soft, took some getting used to.

Inmotion v8 is "harder" in terms of the riding mode.

@Sketch you should make friends with the forum members who live near you and own an 18" wheel so you can try it out. Whether a gotway msuper v2, v3 or ks18, an 18" wheel is quote a different animal from your 14" eucs. Better to try before buying, or you might find that its not what you expected.

Perhaps Jason could arrange a test ride for you? He may have a stock in california.

@cloud. Good advice.  Trying an 18" would be helpful.  I'm looking for more stability, but maybe the ks16 would be all I need.  The trouble is with six kids and their activities, there is not a lot of time to drive places to meet up with people.  We will see.  Thanks

22 minutes ago, Sketch said:

@cloud. Good advice.  Trying an 18" would be helpful.  I'm looking for more stability, but maybe the ks16 would be all I need.  The trouble is with six kids and their activities, there is not a lot of time to drive places to meet up with people.  We will see.  Thanks

When you say stability, what do you mean? Yes an 18"er feels more stable as as its more massivle and less nimble. But if you are just looking to get away from the softness of the ride ( as in you want to ride on a harder riding mode ) you may want to look at inmotion v8 which is still super nimble but has a stiffer riding mode and doesnt "give in into the lean " as much as kingsong. Jason carries inmotion also

@Cloud The only wheel I've ridden is the ks14. I have it on the stiffest ride mode and it seems a little soft, but it doesn't bother me.  What I mean by stability is that I would like a little less squirrellyness when going at higher speeds.  I'm thinking a bigger wheel might feel a little more comfortable on longer commutes.  Not sure if that means a 16 in or 18 in.

@Sketch i , like yourself, was coming from purely ks14 experience into the bigger sizes. The first time you try an 18" wheel you will say, oh my god, how do i make this thing turn? This is impossible to ride!  Then you will get used to it if you spend some time. Yes, both 16 and 18 inchers will have a more stable ride for longer commutes, 18 more so that the 16 . But 16 is the most universal size.  More stability with 18 will be offset by a bigger size, probably bigger weight, and less agility.   Hard to say which one you will prefer (16 or 18) This is why you need the test drive

@Cloud  Do you have any experience with the Inmotion V8?  How would it compare to the KS16?  I'm not too worried about the range.  I have a 12 mile round trip commute to work do it would have to be able to handle that.   I would love to hear your opinion on this wheel.  Thanks 

Archived