Recommendation for next EUC purchase -KS18,MSuper v3, KS16

Sketch

24 minutes ago, Keith said:

Ah, the solution to this is simple, my local radio control model shop owner tells me of one customer (Jack) who, whenever he bought a big ticket items like (say) a new transmitter would leave it in the shop and arrange for the owner to ring him, at home, the next day when he would be at work. Once the wife had explained that Jack wasn't there the owner would say: " Could you tell him the good news he has just won a transmitter in our monthly raffle". 

So you just have to arrange for @Jason McNeil to let your wife know what a wonderful prize you have just won!

that is best thing i've heard all day

WOW

i've got to try THAT one

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Greg Spalding said:

i just have to decide if i can live with the range enough to have the V8 as my only wheel

I did a range test today and managed to get to 31.22 Km until the low battery and full tilt-back got me off the wheel. After restarting the wheel I've managed to squeeze out another Km out of it on slow speed before it tilted again at which point I've decided to walk remaining 80m home ;) It was mainly windy colder day and I was keeping above 20 Km/h most of the time reaching my comfortable cruise speeds of 25 - 26 Km/h. So not that bad considering the conditions. Head light and "disco" lights were on the whole time.

V8 range.png

17 minutes ago, HEC said:

I did a range test today and managed to get to 31.22 Km until the low battery and full tilt-back got me off the wheel. After restarting the wheel I've managed to squeeze out another Km out of it on slow speed before it tilted again at which point I've decided to walk remaining 80m home ;) It was mainly windy colder day and I was keeping above 20 Km/h most of the time reaching my comfortable cruise speeds of 25 - 26 Km/h. So not that bad considering the conditions. Head light and "disco" lights were on the whole time.

V8 range.png

this is TERRIFIC news

appreciate you sharing it with me

please remind me again of YOUR weight... sorry to ask again

thanks so much for this wonderful information

4 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

please remind me again of YOUR weight... sorry to ask again

Over 90 Kg after lunch ;) And I'm quite tall as well which adds to wind resistance and higher COG resulting in decreased range / increased consumption too.

6 hours ago, HEC said:

almost the double range for 840Wh KS-16

840 / 480 = 1.75. I believe we don't know much about the efficiency of the wheels though. Only the higher voltage of the V8 should be a 25%-or-so efficiency gain, which would reduce the above range gain to 1.4-or-so. A well thought out controller and motor design could probably add another 30-50%. Without having compared user experiences I would not be at all sure that the range of the KS-16 is significantly larger than the one of the V8. 

It is worth noting that air pressure of the tire probably contributes some 30-40% to the range as well. So keeping the air pressure reliably close to the maximum can already save quite some money, if range is of major concern.

So far my ranges / efficiency for both wheels are:

KS-16: about 15.1 Wh / Km (tire pressure 4.0 bar)

V8: about 13.9 Wh / Km (tire pressure 3.2 bar)

So difference in "efficiency" about 8.8% in favour for v8. (too many 8's :P)

25% higher voltage definitely doesn't mean 25% higher efficiency and though better designed motor and CB would account for some single percentage increase but definitely not in ranges of several tens of percent ... Also keep in mind that avoiding depleting battery too much as well as full charge to extend it's life will leave you with less usable Wh.

Any idea to what extend the tire pressure influenced these numbers? I believe to have seen rather dramatic effects from tire pressure, but maybe only if it is even lower. It would certainly be nice to have numbers with similar pressure :unsure: 

20 minutes ago, MoNo said:

Any idea to what extend the tire pressure influenced these numbers? I believe to have seen rather dramatic effects from tire pressure, but maybe only if it is even lower. It would certainly be nice to have numbers with similar pressure :unsure: 

From my experience once you way above recommended tire pressure by manufacturer the difference is not that big - it's mainly affecting the ride comfort and maneuverability.

V8 has factory / recommended pressure 2.8 bar and KS-16 3.0 - 3.5 bar (if recall that correctly) so in both cases I'm above the factory values. Indeed if you'd drive with very soft tires like 1.8 - 2.0 bars that would increase the consumption / decrease the range noticeably.

21 hours ago, HEC said:

So far my ranges / efficiency for both wheels are:

KS-16: about 15.1 Wh / Km (tire pressure 4.0 bar)

V8: about 13.9 Wh / Km (tire pressure 3.2 bar)

So difference in "efficiency" about 8.8% in favour for v8. (too many 8's :P)

25% higher voltage definitely doesn't mean 25% higher efficiency and though better designed motor and CB would account for some single percentage increase but definitely not in ranges of several tens of percent ... Also keep in mind that avoiding depleting battery too much as well as full charge to extend it's life will leave you with less usable Wh.

And...that 8.8% is largely due to the difference in weights between V8 and ks16. Lol.  There has to be about 5kg difference or so? That is about 5- 6% of your weight. Ks16 has to carry a 6% more weight and it is 9% less efficient for range. So, only 3 % is due to the battery/ voltage efficiency :) 

54 minutes ago, Cloud said:

And...that 8.8% is largely due to the difference in weights between V8 and ks16. Lol.  There has to be about 5kg difference or so? That is about 5- 6% of your weight. Ks16 has to carry a 6% more weight and it is 9% less efficient for range. So, only 3 % is due to the battery/ voltage efficiency :) 

No - not really - the weight difference is only 3 Kg (already mentioned in this as well as V8 thread) so about 3.33% of the "load"  (probably less with warmer clothes and lunch ...) which is negligent considering the minor "discrepancies" in each ride like different ride style, wind, more breaking / accelerations and so on. So I'd still claim 6 to 7% at least, maybe more. The V8 "sample" is much smaller though but most of the rides so far were at stronger wind conditions. I'm also currently unable to measure exact amount of Wh put into the V8 battery during charging as I'm awaiting the "howerboard" plugs and sockets so I can plug in the Charge Doctor as well.

1 hour ago, HEC said:

No - not really - the weight difference is only 3 Kg (already mentioned in this as well as V8 thread) so about 3.33% of the "load"  (probably less with warmer clothes and lunch ...) which is negligent considering the minor "discrepancies" in each ride like different ride style, wind, more breaking / accelerations and so on. So I'd still claim 6 to 7% at least, maybe more. The V8 "sample" is much smaller though but most of the rides so far were at stronger wind conditions. I'm also currently unable to measure exact amount of Wh put into the V8 battery during charging as I'm awaiting the "howerboard" plugs and sockets so I can plug in the Charge Doctor as well.

Just 3? I gotta look it up, but when i lifted the V8 it felt sooo much lighter than ks16.  Maybe it was a deceptive feeling

edit : i know ks16 is supposed to be 37lbs, but coukd you do me a favor and weigh it and see what it acutally is? It just feels heavier.... Thanks

Archived