Recommendation for next EUC purchase -KS18,MSuper v3, KS16

Sketch

@Sketch i rode V8 when i met up with Jason mcneil in Miami earlier this week. we went for a ride, Jason was riding the v5f and he let me ride the v8. I liked the wheel, its very nimble for its size and easy to control. The wheel is light, it feels like its half of the weight of ks16. Its has the inmotion's trademark high pedal positio. Which helps with tight turns. Pedals are quite comfortable, we rode 5-7 miles and i had to get off only once to rest my feet. I get about the same distance with ks16. I think ks16 pedals a atiny bit softer on the feet because of rubber but its not that critical.  Tiltback was smooth and progressive, a kind that will never startle and throw you off the wheel. The wheel felt quite strong even on low battery and even carrying my fat ass around  ( 100kg). Braking was good, i braked hard a few times and the wheel didnt fold, it did its job similar to how ks14 does it. Riding is my stiffer than ks but easy to get used to. I liked the level of stiffness.  And of course, the aesthetics, it looks good and i got quite a few "wows" from the miami crowd. Depending on the weight you shoukd be able to do more than 12 miles. Now its good to not discharge the battery fully. I am not shre what your weight is, but you will probably be fine. In the winter time your ramge may decrease though. I would wait for range stats to make the final desicion, but i imagine no issues in this department.

On the negative side, the side pads are made pf plastic with no soft pads. I imagine it will bother your anjles first but probably easy to adjust over time, also possible to adapt something on them. There were no speed beeps or overspeed voice prompts but perhaps they can be customizable thru app, im sure jason can let you know. There was a bit of a play around vertical position of the wheel amd when going back and forth but perhaos it was a fluke,.  There are no built in soeakers or usb port.

ks16 is much heavier and less nimble, but ut is still a pretty agile wheel. Ks16 will feel a bit more stable to you, i believe due to its weight. However this coukd get offset with a softer riding mode. The advantage of ks16 will be speakers, ipersonally like the look of both ks16 and the v8,

If i were you id probably go for the V8, because its so much lighter and its made with better quality control/ testing.

whichever one you buy, i recommend @Jason McNeil As your dealer for his outstanding after sale support.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cloud Thanks for your input.  That was very helpful.  I was told @HEC has some experience with this wheel as well and would be interesting to hear his feedback.  I weigh 85 kg so hopefully this wheel would be ok.  Do you know if the trolley handle is longer than the ks18?  It would be nice to have a lighter wheel.  Are the side lights permanently on?  Personally I like the looks of the ks18 a little bit better, but if the V8 rides better and is more reliable, I would go with it.  I think I like the design of the Ks16 trolley handle a little bit more.

i purchased my 14c from Jason and plan on buying from him again.  He is a top notch dealer.  Thanks again.

Sketch, when you say ks18, i guess you mean ks16.  I am not sure which handle is higher, i dont remember. I am sure you can turn off the lights thru the app.  I actually like the looks of ks16 better also but a lot of people will consider v8 to look much hotter. I cant say that v8 rides better, its just more nimble and has a tighter ride, and takes less effort to manouver around, but its a matter of habit. With 85 kg  you should get from 15 to 24 miles out of the wheel on a full charge

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

@Cloud  Do you have any experience with the Inmotion V8?  How would it compare to the KS16?  I'm not too worried about the range.  I have a 12 mile round trip commute to work do it would have to be able to handle that.   I would love to hear your opinion on this wheel.  Thanks 

For me, it has come down to a choice between the V8 and the KS–16, as well. I am 85 kg and I know that your 12 mile round trip would easily be accomplished by either of those wheels but of course he KS-16 would travel a great deal further. Trying to keep the wheel BELOW its maximum speed at all times will help the range as well.  The comparisons between these two wheels will be ultra-critical for me and I can't wait did you hear more people's thoughts about the V8 which I think is going to be the best wheel of the moment for fit and finish when I'm disappointed by the size of the battery which I'm sure is the largest possible for the space in which it inhabits

59 minutes ago, Cloud said:

@Sketch i rode V8 when i met up with Jason mcneil in Miami earlier this week. we went for a ride, Jason was riding the v5f and he let me ride the v8. I liked the wheel, its very nimble for its size and easy to control. The wheel is light, it feels like its half of the weight of ks16. Its has the inmotion's trademark high pedal positio. Which helps with tight turns. Pedals are quite comfortable, we rode 5-7 miles and i had to get off only once to rest my feet. I get about the same distance with ks16. I think ks16 pedals a atiny bit softer on the feet because of rubber but its not that critical.  Tiltback was smooth and progressive, a kind that will never startle and throw you off the wheel. The wheel felt quite strong even on low battery and even carrying my fat ass around  ( 100kg). Braking was good, i braked hard a few times and the wheel didnt fold, it did its job similar to how ks14 does it. Riding is my stiffer than ks but easy to get used to. I liked the level of stiffness.  And of course, the aesthetics, it looks good and i got quite a few "wows" from the miami crowd. Depending on the weight you shoukd be able to do more than 12 miles. Now its good to not discharge the battery fully. I am not shre what your weight is, but you will probably be fine. In the winter time your ramge may decrease though. I would wait for range stats to make the final desicion, but i imagine no issues in this department.

On the negative side, the side pads are made pf plastic with no soft pads. I imagine it will bother your anjles first but probably easy to adjust over time, also possible to adapt something on them. There were no speed beeps or overspeed voice prompts but perhaps they can be customizable thru app, im sure jason can let you know. There was a bit of a play around vertical position of the wheel amd when going back and forth but perhaos it was a fluke,.  There are no built in soeakers or usb port.

ks16 is much heavier and less nimble, but ut is still a pretty agile wheel. Ks16 will feel a bit more stable to you, i believe due to its weight. However this coukd get offset with a softer riding mode. The advantage of ks16 will be speakers, ipersonally like the look of both ks16 and the v8,

If i were you id probably go for the V8, because its so much lighter and its made with better quality control/ testing.

whichever one you buy, i recommend @Jason McNeil As your dealer for his outstanding after sale support.

Thank you so much for this comparison because it is the most important for me personally, as well

Sounds like the smart thing to do is to get both... Now how will I hide that from my wife?

I wonder if Jason is willing to write up a fake "buy one get one free" receipt :P

5 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

Thank you so much for this comparison because it is the most important for me personally, as well

Sounds like the smart thing to do is to get both... Now how will I hide that from my wife?

I wonder if Jason is willing to write up a fake "buy one get one free" receipt :P

To buy both is the crazy thing to do, but its my kind of crazy :) 

i am tempted to get a v8 myself but the battery size bothers me and i cant justify to sped a grand to get a wheel for short trips only since i have 2 ks14s already and planning to get an msuper also. Another thing is no soeakers and no usb port, thats another thing that makes me shy away. But most other people dont care about that! 

. I wish i was rich and coukd get them all!! 

40 minutes ago, Cloud said:

To buy both is the crazy thing to do, but its my kind of crazy :) 

i am tempted to get a v8 myself but the battery size bothers me and i cant justify to sped a grand to get a wheel for short trips only since i have 2 ks14s already and planning to get an msuper also. Another thing is no soeakers and no usb port, thats another thing that makes me shy away. But most other people dont care about that! 

. I wish i was rich and coukd get them all!! 

It is an odd thing that this new V8 which has the latest and greatest technology doesn't have some of those creature comforts and I will always hold true to believing they should've made it slightly wider to incorporate a battery with much higher capacity because I don't think anybody wants a wheel for that kind of money was such a small battery. I think it's a huge mistake.  maybe people who ride short distances and want the best wheel but where I live I want the best wheel that I need more range and I don't want to feel forced into buying a lesser quality wheel just so i can ride further but I believe that is the case.

I am very much into photography and have been so for many many years because my father gave me a camera in 1969 and I have not stopped shooting since.

Not that long ago I never felt bad at all about buying a $5000 Zeiss Otus Lens for my Nikon D4... For that money of course I could buy the V8, The KS 16, the Vsuper v3, and the ninebot one E+ but somehow I find it hard to justify buying just 2 of those.... the KS-16 and the V8

Even though the aforementioned lens sits in a box... unused at this moment

Funny how we find ways to rationalize things, isn't it?

@Cloud @Greg SpaldingYes,. Sorry for the typo.  I was talking about the k-16 not 18.  I think I would like the tighter maneuverability and if it feels like a higher quality wheel, the V8 seems like a good choice.  15-24 miles on a charge is actually really good compared the the Boostedboard and Onewheel I rode before I got into EUCs.  Both those devices only achieved 6-8 miles and cost a few hundred dollars more than the V8.  If you need the range than it's not a consideration, but if InMotion has a better track record with Quality control and it is a quick, lighter maneuverable wheel it might just be the right one for me.  At this point I'm leaning toward the V8. 

Im planning on buying an 18 in wheel as well so maybe that is why the decision should not be as difficult.  Now the desicion between the KS18 or MSuper.  Non are available at the moment from the dealers I have contacted so I have some time to think about that one.

@Greg Spalding I have been researching DSLRs and lenses lately and can relate the the high prices of good lenses.  Very spendy indeed.

The best wheel you can get is the ks 14c 840wh from www.ewheels.com The reasons are:

1. Light enough to carry upstairs into bus /  subway

2. Small enough not to be notice in public or threaten publlic

3. Can ride in city where control and stability is needed

4. Bluetooth speakers are loud enough

5. Comfortable

6. Can go pretty fast up hills.

7. Fast at 30 km/hr if needed on bike trails

8. Can travel long distances with 840wh

For non-city travel go with the 18inch Gotway and bypass 16inch..

If I had to choose one wheel it would be Ks 14c 840wh..

@Sketch for your 18" wheel, the advantage of ks18 is that if you buy through Jason you will have after sale support and if a replacement part is needed he will be able to send that to you fast. With msuper, you may be able to find a dealer, but since their network is developing here, chances are you will be waiting for a lot longer for your spare part and will have to make more effort to prove to gotway that you deserve a free replacement.

I rode both ks18 and msuper 2 and I will be getting an msuper for a more compact size, but it will be a wild card. Msuper 2 lacked torque, not sure what msuper3 will turn out to be. With ks18 we kinda know what we are getting, and its a decent wheel. Again, it would be best if you coukd try it before buying. On the other hand, whichever wheel you buy you will be happy with it once you get used to it.

@Cloud unfortunately the ks18 is not available from Jason at the moment and there has been a delay with future shipment.  I really like the MSuper as well, but don't like that you can't upload new firmware from your phones app and mixed reviews about reliability.  I think I just need to be patient.

I'm having way too much fun with my new V8 to write anything longer at the moment but I'll try to do so on Monday latest Tuesday. In brief - V8 is fantastic both in quality of the build as well as the look - no picture can show you that. Apart of the "decreased" range and slightly more wobbly albeit longer (89 vs. 83 cm height of top of extended handle from ground) trolley handle it beats IMO KS-16 in all other aspects though some of them might be personal preference depending thus different for you. There is a few very minor QOL nibbles here and there mainly with mobile app and charger but none of them is affecting the quality or safety of the ride. Overall I'm happy with the purchase though I still need a bit more time / Km spent on wheel to get used to different riding mode which is the most stiff / hard mode I've seen so far (and I do prefer that). So for those of you deciding between V8 and KS-16 I'd say the only key factor would be almost the double range for 840Wh KS-16 though you can always get a spare swappable battery for V8 as well. V8 is also 3 Kg lighter and a bit slimmer though also higher than KS-16.

4 minutes ago, HEC said:

I'm having way too much fun with my new V8 to write anything longer at the moment but I'll try to do so on Monday latest Tuesday. In brief - V8 is fantastic both in quality of the build as well as the look - no picture can show you that. Apart of the "decreased" range and slightly more wobbly albeit longer (83 vs. 89 cm height of top of extended handle from ground) trolley handle it beats IMO KS-16 in all other aspects though some of them might be personal preference depending thus different for you. There is a few very minor QOL nibbles here and there mainly with mobile app and charger bot none of them is affecting the quality or safety of the ride. Overall I'm happy with the purchase though I still need a bit more time / Km spent on wheel to get used to different riding mode which is the most stiff / hard mode I've seen so far (and I do prefer that). So for those of you deciding between V8 and KS-16 I'd say the only key factor would be almost the double range for 840Wh KS-16 though you can always get a spare swappable battery for V8 as well. V8 is also 3 Kg lighter and a bit slimmer though also higher than KS-16.

thanks... as you know from me.... so much for this "stream of consciousness" continued account of your V8 travels

i really appreciate this

9 minutes ago, Sketch said:

@HEC Thanks for taking the time give us your quick opinion.  It's good to know you are happy with it so far.  I will be looking forward to your full review.  Do you know if the spare batteries are currently available from @Jason McNeil?

Yes additional batteries can be ordered from @Jason McNeil (I've ordered those right away with the wheel) and it's also mentioned at FAQ section:

https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v8/

3) Will I be able to buy additional packs when I purchase the Wheel & how much will they cost?
Yes, the estimated cost of a 460Wh pack will be in the $350 range.

But as the batteries are currently a "bottleneck" in V8 production IM ships the complete wheels first and spare packs shall be sent to distributors in a couple of weeks. The battery replacement takes removing several screws and side panel so it's not as convenient as KS-14B for example but it's still (with some caution) possible to perform "in field" (carrying small Philip screwdriver and tweezers) though I'm a bit concerned about longevity of the tap-in screws used and I'm already looking into replacing those with small bolts and knurled nut inserts (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000pcs-lot-M1-6-3-3-Injection-copper-nut-Copper-inserts-Knurled-nut-Copper-flower-mother/32605860163.html). I'm also looing for a place to mount one of the small GPS trackers as well.

1 hour ago, HEC said:

I'm having way too much fun with my new V8 to write anything longer at the moment but I'll try to do so on Monday latest Tuesday.

I was wondering how you were getting on with the V8 :) 

1 hour ago, HEC said:

There is a few very minor QOL nibbles here and there mainly with mobile app and charger

App is still very much a work in progress: I've made a couple suggestions, like defaulting to the device information screen, rather than the predominately Chinese social page that seems mainly to consist of people posting pictures of their lunches. More useful stuff might would be the board temperature & 1sec avg power output info. 

2 hours ago, HEC said:

I'm having way too much fun with my new V8 to write anything longer at the moment but I'll try to do so on Monday latest Tuesday.

Way to rub it in?

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

@Greg Spalding I'm not sure getting the extra battery is worth it for me.  If it was a simple click in design I would do it for sure, but to have to screw and unscrew seems like a hassle and added ware and tear on the wheels case.

i'm 100% in agreement with those points

the V8 isn't really meant to have its battery changed in my book

i just have to decide if i can live with the range enough to have the V8 as my only wheel

16 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

Ah, the solution to this is simple, my local radio control model shop owner tells me of one customer (Jack) who, whenever he bought a big ticket items like (say) a new transmitter would leave it in the shop and arrange for the owner to ring him, at home, the next day when he would be at work. Once the wife had explained that Jack wasn't there the owner would say: " Could you tell him the good news he has just won a transmitter in our monthly raffle". 

So you just have to arrange for @Jason McNeil to let your wife know what a wonderful prize you have just won!

Archived