What's the Most You Would Spend on An Electric Unicycle?

With some of the newer wheels coming out, we're seeing some pretty astronomical prices.  Considering I bought my generic no name wheel for $220 USD which came with a shell, electric motor, control board, battery, and charger I'm just curious what the upper ceiling is for pricing that people are willing to spend.

Say if a new wheel came out that could go 60 KPH for 100 km per charge regardless of rider weight, was lightweight, and had all the bells and whistles like audiophile quality Mark Levinson integrated 5.1 channel surround sound speakers, ABS, a competition class glossy automotive quality metal fleck paint job, heated leg warmers, GPS guidance, pedals the size of football fields, etc would you spend $4000 or more for it?  How about $5000?  What features would you expect from a $5000 EUC?  Maybe free lifetime battery and tire replacement?

Personally I would think that maybe the upper ceiling is around the $3000 mark.  Me, personally, I don't think I would spend more than $2000 for a wheel, but that's just me.  Once you get into the upper pricing I'm thinking more used car four wheels.  I know that Solowheels are priced right up there, but people still buy them.  I guess I just get a little bit of sticker shock when I see prices like $2500 for a new wheel.  Then again, remember Apple II plus computers and IBM PS/1s?  I think they were priced over two grand back in the day.  Apples and IBM's or Oranges though right?  What pricing will the market bear?

WDF_2422169.jpg

It comes down to the specs! 

I would consider $3500 USD, or even more for a wheel that did everything I wanted - as detailed by@HunkaHunkaBurningLove.

The climate where I live is mild, so I can ride an EUC year-round. So if it had enough power, range, et cetera it would actually be feasible as a total replacement for my car. And that raises it's value considerably. 

20 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

it would actually be feasible as a total replacement for my car. And that raises it's value considerably. 

I'd have to get insurance for it, because $3500 is a lot of money to lose if it is stolen, stops working, or is run over by a truck (as actually happened to one of my wheels in the past).

If anyone would like to read about how my wheel was run over by a truck, here's what happened:

I was riding on the sidewalk when a large pickup truck (the kind with dual rear wheels) came shooting out of a parking lot just as I arrived. I could not stop in time, put my hands out to keep from slamming into the side of the truck, my EUC fell down, and the truck (which did not slow down whatsoever as this was happening) ran over my EUC. I mean the rear wheels went directly over my EUC. This of course made a huge bump for the truck as its rear wheels rolled over this large object (my EUC), and the driver just kept on accelerating like nothing happened!

In a demonstration of IPS build quality, I was able to ride the EUC (an IPS 121) home.

2 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I'd have to get insurance for it, because $3500 is a lot of money to lose if it is stolen, stops working, or is run over by a truck (as actually happened to one of my wheels in the past).

Yes - I'm working out how to insure mine at the moment (including personal liability).

Of course, the fully featured wheel that would be worth this much would have an integrated chain / lock. As well as a remote disabling option (to stop tampering).

$2,500 with 1640wh, increased safety precautions(battery, circuit board, zero cut-offs), quick charge, 60km/h, theft deterrent,(hidden GPS tracking with app for location), shock absorption, more on-demand torque, especially on take-offs. Thick ankle cusions. Cusioned Foot rests on Petals.

On 8/27/2016 at 3:22 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

As well as a remote disabling option (to stop tampering).

Ninebot has that, you can lock it and if someone tries to turn it on it shakes violently and flashes the lights and is unrideable.  It also has a find another Ninebot feature but don't know if it would show one that is not turned on.  I've tried it a couple times but of course did not find any near me.

Just now, steve454 said:

Ninebot has that, you can lock it and if someone tries to turn it on it shakes violently and flashes the lights and is unrideable.  It also has a find another Ninebot feature but don't know if it would show one that is not turned on.  I've tried it a couple times but of course did not find any near me.

Find another Ninebot ???  That is special!

Rather than vibrating and beeping, I would be keen on something that just stops it working (in conjunction with the integrated lock)...  My handle design allows for a cable to secure the unit, perhaps if I just add a key switch I will be secure?

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

That's a good solution, the ninebot will turn on when locked, probably giving hope to a thief that they can make it work.

Yeah, I've heard about that "open circuit on" thing...  But what if you put the key switch onto the battery wire?

@The Fat UnicyclistI don't know, but I just tried the find rider nearby function again and this time found one 1.3 kilometers away.  So I zoomed out on the map and found about thirty riders within about a 15 mile radius, most had a flag that looked like a 9, there were 4 or 5 pictures of ninebot one, and more pictures than that of Minipros.  Most of them had fbxxxxxx next to the name, I guess they logged in from facebook or something.  I have no interest in trying to contact any of them, it's just interesting to know that there are that many in this large urban area.

Also checked the rankings and the top people are all around 5000 kilometers.  @dpong and @Tishawn Fahie and @SerpentineGX are all up there as US riders with the most mileage.  I just collected my third medal as a bronze knight for going over 200 kilometers:P

2 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

I didn't think the find a rider feature actually work! @steve454 one day when you feel like it let me know we can ride around. There's a lot of us in the city riding!

@Tishawn Fahie I bet there are more riders in the New York area than anywhere else in the US, just because of the population density.  Unfortunately I am in the Dallas area.  I have driven through New York state once and was amazed by I think it was five very tall buildings that were apartments, think it was called Co-op city with something like 100,000 people living there, long time ago may be mixed up about it.

Hey, have you checked your ranking?  I think you are in the top 10 in the US!

If an OEM could make an EUC with true 30km+ range under most conditions with toolless-swappable battery packs, and with battery technology that all major airlines would approve for domestic and international flights, and that weighs max 15-18Kg: I'd pay up to $2-2.5KUSD for a sleek Inmotion V8 or Ninebot advanced concept that had all those features plus next-gen refinements. Being able to fly with your wheel commercially is the biggest value-added feature a manufacturer could add, possibly by using a more advanced lithium battery design. Once that is solved, the wheel will need a hardshell luggage case with wheels that meets all TSA safety requirements. A compact travel battery charger would complete the ensemble.

Since I'm already asking for quite a lot, the next feature is even harder to do: a helmet with integrated, head-mounted Augmented Reality display, as well as multiple mounts for up to 8 overlapping cameras for VR-experience recording. Take an Airwheel C5 as a basic idea, add self-levelling and stabilisation for flush-mount forward 4K HDR cameras, plus a Microsoft hololens set of goggles to see all camera views, and overlay diagnostic and real-time data on the windscreen for the rider, thereby eliminating the need to hold or interact with hand-held phones or cameras entirely. That would be worth up to 5,000 USD, maybe 10K if kitted out with high-end cameras that meet the specs.

Add an extra $500 for solid carbon-fibre chassis and covers and molded ankle rests that can be adjusted front-back a few notches for a more aggressive or laid-back position. It would be great to just mount the wheel without support, and be assured that placing the ankle into a comfort foam notch would be have near-perfect placement.

1 minute ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Don't hold back @litewave - I'll see what I can knock up for you in the shed this weekend.

I forgot to add the integrated chilly bin. Can you throw that in for the same price? :lol:

11 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yeah, I've heard about that "open circuit on" thing...  But what if you put the key switch onto the battery wire?

If you do that, do make sure that the switch/lock can't turn "off" during riding and can handle the current as all of it will pass right through it (40A or more in spikes? Most switches I've seen have been like 10-20A max), the original power buttons work differently (at least for higher powered wheels).

Currently I would pay something like:

15€ per km (range) + 20 * km/h (speed)

So if speed is 40 km/h max with a range of 100km, i would pay 2300€. Of course I would also want all the basics, including light, full safetyfeatures, etc. 

Prices would come way, way down with higher numbers sold and genuine mass manufacturing coming into play.  Also, sellers will demand as much money as they can get and milk individual markets for whatver they are worth. A BMW motorcycle that was built in Berlin cost less in dollars in California than it costs in € in the next door dealership in Berlin.

7 hours ago, litewave said:

If an OEM could make an EUC with true 30km+ range under most conditions with toolless-swappable battery packs, and with battery technology that all major airlines would approve for domestic and international flights, and that weighs max 15-18Kg: I'd pay up to $2-2.5KUSD for a sleek Inmotion V8 or Ninebot advanced concept that had all those features plus next-gen refinements. Being able to fly with your wheel commercially is the biggest value-added feature a manufacturer could add, possibly by using a more advanced lithium battery design. Once that is solved, the wheel will need a hardshell luggage case with wheels that meets all TSA safety requirements. A compact travel battery charger would complete the ensemble.

As all Kind of Lithium batteries over 160wh are forbidden in luggage and Hand luggage.....this will unfortunatly never happen!

There is -no- Batterie Technologie (over a certain amount of wh) which is allowed in air planes...and i do not think the EUC producer's are the driver of new Batterie Technologies...like i said...unfortunatly!

Maybe workarounds such as shipping 4 separate 160Wh packages that can be reassembled in the wheel for a total of 640Wh :)

maybe it will cost in shipment (1 in hand luggage and 3 shipped) and technical solution in the wheel to build up a 640 from 4 160 :( 

Archived