Even more range on E+

Pagsy

its a kind of an old story...

even Jason from ewheels.com tried to put a 32 cell batterie into the ninebot...(normally only 30 cells!)

so yes, than you can have a 420wh batterie, 416 to be honest...but nobody knows what that is doing to the wheel on the longterm, what that does to your mosfets etc etc...

and its not a big plus....you have to throw out your 320wh and instead have 420.... so 100 plus!

what i find better? the batterie expansion pack of 1radwerkstatt.de where you give your 320wh batterie a real plus of 388....anf use them both!  so that you have 708wh on the wheel!

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the low battery tiltback beeping for the first time today after doing a 19.9 km run.  It was 26 C, I'm 167 lbs, tire at 45-50 psi, average speed was 19 kph, and the terrain was a mix of flat with some moderate hills.  I was surprised with the tiltback as the app gave me a false impression that 27 km was the range on a fully charged battery, but that might be calculated for a lighter rider and flat travel distance.  Apps should ask you to enter your weight to help with calculations, but I guess it still can't factor in hills...

The tiltback was a little faster and at a greater angle so it was easy to recognize something was up with the wheel.  After slowing down the tiltback vanished, and I could ride like normal.  Speed didn't seem limited at first, but I tried keeping the speed lower to avoid the low battery tiltback again.  App said I had 10 km remaining, but that didn't seem realistic.  Battery level in the app was yellow and at about 20-25%, and the LEDs were red, low and flashing.  Luckily I was pretty close to home so I just didn't overstress the wheel. 

It's too bad 1Radwerkstatt can't ship to North America, and no one sells an extended battery pack in the US.  The price even if 1Rad could ship would be over $600 CDN with the exchange rate so it would be a pricey upgrade to get about 40 km of range.  I wonder if I could buy the extended size shells and make a split battery pack myself somehow. Does anyone know where to get Ninebot BMS boards?

48 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Could a local (US mainland) operator license the 1Radwerkstatt technology and have them manufactured locally?

There is really not that much to "license" here. Once you get solid supply of BMS boards and high quality cells the biggest investment (apart of the "knowledge" and experience) is the high quality industrial welding machine to put the packs together. Rest is just standard cables, plugs, a bit of soldering and heat shrink wraps.

I was thinking that someone like @Jason McNeil should start up a side business of putting together custom battery packs sort of like how 1Radwerkstatt does for Europe.  I wonder though whether there's much of a profit margin to be had there and whether it could compete price-wise with directly ordering from China.  Where do e-bike owners get their battery packs?

3 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I was thinking that someone like @Jason McNeil should start up a side business of putting together custom battery packs sort of like how 1Radwerkstatt does for Europe.  I wonder though whether there's much of a profit margin to be had there and whether it could compete price-wise with directly ordering from China.  Where do e-bike owners get their battery packs?

Some build their own packs, the rest... I don't know :P  But I'd be surprised if in a country the size of USA or Canada there weren't any companies that can manufacture packs according to customer requirements. No idea on the price though, probably would need to order more than just a couple of packs to get the price down (ie. for reselling). Competing with the Chinese packs shouldn't be much of a problem, due to shipping restrictions and the cheap chinese packs are likely much lower quality anyway (compared to a professionally made pack with good BMS & high quality cells). The people who buy the cheapest Chinese packs probably wouldn't buy the high quality packs anyway (even from China, as they need to import the cells and that pushes up the price). ;)  Having a trustworthy local (well, at least domestic) manufacturer for the packs would probably also mean that the packs have some sort of warranty, and you wouldn't have to worry about the quality or receiving fake cells.

@Jason McNeil there you go @HunkaHunkaBurningLove has a great idea to increase profits!

Hunka.. I bet that caught your attention! The lowest remaining battery amount I have ever went on the NB1 was 40%. I never trust gauges ever since I crashed my helicopter! 

@esaj has a great idea and maybe you can make some money selling the packs. Wonder how many NB1's currently originate in North America. There would need to be a large # of NBs to make it profitable

About fake cells, here's a couple of funny ones:

8PCS-18650-battery-3-7V-9800mAh-recharge

1000pcs-lot-ICR-8800MAH-3-7V-18650-Li-io

2016-new-2PCS-18650-battery-3-7V-9800mAh

8800-9800mAh? Yeah, right :D

Here's another one, might not even be fake (at least the capacity seems sensbile), but they might want to rethink their brand name:

High-quality-UltraPanic-2-PCS-LOT-18650-

:D  I guess it's time to UltraPanic once those catch fire...  Same goes for brand names like "UltraFire", "TrustFire" and "MainiFire". Why does there have to be "Fire" in the name, to remind the buyers that they can catch fire? :P 

31 minutes ago, esaj said:

:D  I guess it's time to UltraPanic once those catch fire...  Same goes for brand names like "UltraFire", "TrustFire" and "MainiFire". Why does there have to be "Fire" in the name, to remind the buyers that they can catch fire? :P 

UltraPanic is the bomb. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Gil said:

THIS is more serious... They were cited in the news a few days ago...

Still couldn't find any mentions of how much discharge current they can give out.

Another similar company was visited & praised in the media by president Obama himself a few years back, as they were on the verge of some breakthrough. Guess what? The battery never came. Don't know if the company exists anymore ;) There's always some buzz around the recent developments, that might not come to fruition (or it might take like a decade). But, let's hope this time is different.

I think that many "Companies" know that this administration will hand out money as if they can print more.  This in turn brings out the fake "Companies" that are simply out to get the Grant Money that is available, even though they don't have anything real to offer.  And then there are those that Think they have something, but it does not work out.

That's why we've heard of SO MANY Solar and Battery "Companies" that have gotten their money and disappeared.  There have been so many Billions of Dollars given out in the past decade, with nothing to show for it.  It's really sad there are not better checks and balances.

11 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I was thinking that someone like @Jason McNeil should start up a side business of putting together custom battery packs sort of like how 1Radwerkstatt does for Europe.

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@Jason McNeil there you go @HunkaHunkaBurningLove has a great idea to increase profits!

Guess what? @Jason McNeil already beat you to this idea:

7 hours ago, esaj said:

Answer lies here: http://www.trustfire.com/ and other two are just "parasite" names ;)

4693.jpg 

• 4 months later...
On 8/22/2016 at 6:14 AM, esaj said:

About fake cells, here's a couple of funny ones:

8PCS-18650-battery-3-7V-9800mAh-recharge

1000pcs-lot-ICR-8800MAH-3-7V-18650-Li-io

2016-new-2PCS-18650-battery-3-7V-9800mAh

8800-9800mAh? Yeah, right :D

Here's another one, might not even be fake (at least the capacity seems sensbile), but they might want to rethink their brand name:

High-quality-UltraPanic-2-PCS-LOT-18650-

The label clearly states in good english how dangerous they can be if not treated properly.  I would like to try them in my ecig first.  I would like to give them their proper respects.

Ultrapanic? Sounds like super strong to me, but then I don't speak Chinese.

The batteries might be fake, but the packaging is excellent, except for the possible misstatement of capacity.

I am more interested in the slight bulge at the positive end of the batteries, what is that for?

Here is a good name for batteries "Thunderbolt"

Archived