Advice for riding in the rain?

Eric Jorgensen

I started riding my NB1E in Seattle this summer when it is nice and dry, but soon the rains will come and I am not sure at all what to expect.  Is traction loss a problem?  Are there precautions to take?   What about riding with an umbrella?  Does the Ninebot kick up water? 

Anything you can tell me about riding in the rain would be much appreciated!

-e

In the rain I generally ride with my waterproof jacket and a pair of waterproof over trousers. I wouldn't use an umbrella in case the wind catches your or it covers your view (depending on the direction of the rain). The Ninebot doesn't kick up water (that will get you wet) and I haven't had any traction problems riding on pavements, roads, gravel, cobbles, dirt tracks, grass. 

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

Riding with an unbrella is OK for short distances, but it is a bit tricky - especially if the wind gets you!

Yeah wind is a beast - you don't want to end up Mary Poppins :D 

Hi,

For my personal experience, the best is to avoid riding in the rain, even if your wheel is waterproof, it can wear some elements faster. If you can't avoid it, then an umbrella is not recommended if there is wind, because it can make you loose your balance easily (unless you are a "pro").

The ninebot is waterproof, I have a friend who rides it everyday to work and for now (9 months) no issues. Just take what you would take while walking, an umbrella if there is little to no wind, avoid slippy areas, avoid deep puddles. In my experience it has the advantage to clean your wheel if you ride it fast enough ^^

I would do a couple of mods if you're riding in the rain.  The control board looks like it has been dipped, painted, or sprayed with a layer of waterproofing material, but to be on the safe side, I took off my side box covers, moved out the wires from the plastic clip, and placed some electrical tape over the openings under the clip.  I had noticed dust seems to get into the side box areas otherwise.  I put the wire loom back into place under the clip, and all seems well.  There are also two openings at the base of the boxes where the side cover tabs fit into.  I didn't cover up those, but that might be another spot that water can possibly get in.  You have to leave a spot for the tabs to fit into of course.  I left them open for air circulation.

I don't ride in rain, but I've had to go through some 2-3 inch puddles of water on some dirt trails.  The water doesn't seem to splash up, and no water or splashes got into the side cases when I checked them.  I wouldn't recommend an umbrella as it's very tricky to use while going at speed.  Maybe at slower velocities it might be fine.  Pedals tend to get very slippery when wet.  Here's a video of a KS18 riding in the rain:

I rode in the rain today, no problems at all.

The grip on the pedals, while good, is slightly reduced when they are wet. I didn't actually glide around too much on them, though -- it was more of a feeling of a less secure grip than anything else.

2 hours ago, Eric Jorgensen said:

Sounds like the umbrella is OUT!

If I tried to ride with an umbrella, it would be a disaster. I just let myself get wet. A few times I have been thoroughly soaked.

On 8/2/2016 at 4:06 PM, Eric Jorgensen said:

I started riding my NB1E in Seattle this summer when it is nice and dry, but soon the rains will come and I am not sure at all what to expect.  Is traction loss a problem?  Are there precautions to take?   What about riding with an umbrella?  Does the Ninebot kick up water? 

Anything you can tell me about riding in the rain would be much appreciated!

-e

Yeah, as others have said, an umbrella does not work well at speed. I bought this waterproof jacket off amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2O971E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works pretty well and keeps you dry. Outside of that, watching out for possible slippery metal surfaces, and obviously for very deep puddles, I don't take any extra pre-cautions in the rain.

21 minutes ago, logos122 said:

Yeah, as others have said, an umbrella does not work well at speed. I bought this waterproof jacket off amazon:

I'm using main "rain" set from bicycle days: http://www.naturkompaniet.se/fjallraven-poncho-9 + rain pants and neoprene shoe sleeves. Most of the times the poncho is enough and folded in it's pouch is easy to carry around on "unpredictable" days.

Archived