Tesla Autopilot Kills Driver

Talk about high tech gone wrong...

I remember seeing a Casey Neistat video where he was driving a Mercedes that had an autopilot system, and then I read a bit about Tesla with the same tech.  It sounded a little too good to be true, but it did seem to work at least from videos I've watched.  I did also see one guy's test of the Tesla failing some experiments during it's autonomous roll forward summon feature.

I think people tend to make serious errors in judgement trusting new tech too much as the driver who died was reported to be watching a Harry Potter movie during the accident.

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Are you back to riding your Msuper?  I remember seeing your xray of the tibial fracture - yikes.... and EUC Extreme's collar bone fracture....  how did your fall happen on the generic X3?

Kinda off topic, but for me much more damage was caused during dinosaur fossil hunting than euc riding so far. These old reptiles are responsible for breaking my both pinkies, a fibula, tearing ligaments in my foot, and countless cuts and scars all over my body, including an unidentified piece of metal inside my leg, and a bunch of other health conditions. 

Never would have figured Paleontology would be so hazardous, but I guess dig sites can have their own unique difficulties.  Casting and transporting large finds can be pretty labor intensive.  I remember watching some documentaries about some interesting dinosaur discoveries.

8 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Never would have figured Paleontology would be so hazardous, but I guess dig sites can have their own unique difficulties.  Casting and transporting large finds can be pretty labor intensive.  I remember watching some documentaries about some interesting dinosaur discoveries.

Well, it doesnt have to be dangerous. It's a hobby of mine and i kinda fly solo most of the time. I happen to find myself in all kinds of quarries, creekbeds, cliffs, climbing mountains etc. i am not the guy sitting down for hours with a brush trying to clean a dino bone in the soft sediment- this would be boring for me. I am more into dino tracks, which is a different kind of fossil hunting. There is only a few others like me, what i do is usually informal and involves getting into spots where others dont go.

Nevertheless, all the injuries caused by physical impacts were due to my lack of safety precautions, being caught up in the moment, adrenaline rushes, carelessness, or complacency due to thinking that i have a lot of experience.  Just the other day the doctor told me i have arthritis in my shoulder, which was probably caused by lifting and carying huge rock plates with dinosaur tracks.

14 hours ago, Cloud said:

Kinda off topic, but for me much more damage was caused during dinosaur fossil hunting than euc riding so far. These old reptiles are responsible for breaking my both pinkies, a fibula, tearing ligaments in my foot, and countless cuts and scars all over my body, including an unidentified piece of metal inside my leg, and a bunch of other health conditions. 

Geez Cloud, are you sure those dinosaurs you hunted were already dead?

Initially it was said that neither the driver nor the car notice the white side of a tractor trailer against the bright sky but recently it was said the driver was watching Harry Potter on a portable DVD player so wasn't paying attention.

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

What, were you shot by a gun?

6 hours ago, esaj said:

Alien probe ;)  They just got the wrong body part...

Lol, i am nit sure hiw it got in there but the xray showed its there. I dont remember being shot. My theory is that a pice if the rock hammer chipoed and flew into my leg and i was so much in the moment that i didnt notice. Often times, when i am hammering away i dont notice cuts, bruises or blood coming down my legs, and then when i am done i am like..oh look i am covered in blood..interesting...

3 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Geez Cloud, are you sure those dinosaurs you hunted were already dead?

Im not sure anymore, i think they are having their revenge. I keep tying to find the live one. I dont think of them as dead, and in fact, while the bones and evidence of dead animals, dinosaur tracks are evidence of live ones. When i see a trackway ( several tracks showing the animal's path, in my head i see images of them walking and i keep trying to find a live one grazing at the end of his trackway. But so far, the only live dinosaurs ive found were birds.

Does Tesla have radar, laser distance sensors? There should be redundancies too. two radars look closer to ground, 2 looks a little up. Laser distance sensors scan around the car, one for each height segment. From the report, it said that the camera cannot tell the difference of a white sky from a white truck. So, isTesla  using ONLY image recognition software to pilot? That is too dangerous because image recognition is not reliable. If the Tesla has laser distance sensors, then it will know a big object is entering its way.

19 hours ago, Cloud said:

As a geologist by myself I know what you mean. The metal in your leg is a cutoff of your non - Easton Hammer. Always use Easton-Hammers. They are built to bang on a chisel without chipping metal parts off. These metal chips fly away really really fast. I have a chip in my Knee too. :-) 

20 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Are you back to riding your Msuper?  I remember seeing your xray of the tibial fracture - yikes.... and EUC Extreme's collar bone fracture....  how did your fall happen on the generic X3?

BMS shutdown. tried to outrun it and got hit by the right pedal from behind. Complete fractured my right leg. :-(

@Geowurm pleasure to meet someone else who is " down to earth". Yes those hammers are good. Ive had many different ones and still searching for the perfect one. I go through them so fast. I normally use masonry ( bricklayers) hammers ( as the chisel) in combination with a small sledge hammer which i used as the hammer. Chisels dont normally have enough mass to split serious rocks, and also the hand is so close to where the hammer hits on the chisel that its easy to bang on the fingers instead.

43 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Geowurm @Cloud I like going off topic if it is educational and interesting. What is the most cherished or valuable discovery to date?

Lol, me too, love going off topic but hate to hijack someone else's thread, i may have to moderate my own posts and move them to another thread, lol. Anyway, about the discoveries, as i live in new york, there isnt much dinosaur bone material to be found in the reasonable driving distance. The geology/ stratigraphy of the adjacent areas is that its mostly devonian, silurian, ordovician, carboniferous, some cambrian deposits in the bedrock, where things are to be found but mostly invertebrates, marine fauna, plants,  which i used to collect in the past. Dinosaurs did not exist at that time yet. However i am lucky to live around here because of the so called Newark Supergroup" , a series of rift basins from the past lacustrine ( lake) environment, formed at the time the super continent Pangea was breaking up into smaller continents about 200 million years ago. Those rift basins going from canada, or more relevantly Masachussers down to virginia, along the connecticut river ( rt 91) in Ct and thru NJ and PA, were formed at the time of the break up and got filled with soft sediments, associated with the shallow lakes. Thats when the  Dinos made tracks in that sediment walking by the Lakeshores.  So even though most of the geology is bedrock much older than the era of the dinosaurs, there are strips of land in between which are younger and just the right age. Unfortunately, the rule of thumb is - where you find track you dont find bones and where you find bones, there are no tracks. Reason being that these need different conditions for preservation. Bone material needs to be rapidly buried in sediment to get preserved, while for track to get preserved there needs to be a specific break in the sedimentation event so as to allow the mud in which tracks are made to harden first and then be buried to be preserved and turn into rock under pressure and over time

Id say the most interesting rare finds are large plates with multiple trackways. I had one 9 x 4 ft long with about 40 tracks from late triassic dinos, as well as some other smaller ones. Also baby dino tracks are very rare and i had found a few of them. I will try to find some pics and post.   The good quality material is hard to find and often the most cherished becomes not necessarily the new type of fossil but the rare high quality one.

4 hours ago, EUCMania said:

Does Tesla have radar, laser distance sensors? There should be redundancies too. two radars look closer to ground, 2 looks a little up. Laser distance sensors scan around the car, one for each height segment. From the report, it said that the camera cannot tell the difference of a white sky from a white truck. So, isTesla  using ONLY image recognition software to pilot? That is too dangerous because image recognition is not reliable. If the Tesla has laser distance sensors, then it will know a big object is entering its way.

Maybe @Gimlet can comment as I think he drives one.  It must have some multi-sensor array that combines readings from the all over the car to detect things.  There's that one video where it actually avoids a large truck changing lanes into it so it swerves out of the way.  I wonder whether some sort of video recognition software would help as even basic cameras can do face recognition.  You would think that tire recognition would be a given.  If it could see that truck with the rolling tires turning into its path maybe edge recognition could find enough contrast to detect the rectangular frame of the truck container?  It sounds like the more complicated you get the more potential problems sprout up...

Love this forum!  I will begin tonight by studying what devonian, silurian, ordovician, carboniferous and cambrian deposits are all about. Oh yes, please include some photos! Outside my purview but so interesting! The only thing that comes close to your exciting hobby involves my occupation where I compile anthropometric data on infants that have significant asymmetrical craniums (plagiocephaly and brachycephaly) and then provide cranial remolding treatment.

Thank you @Rehab1 , yes it is very interesting, adventurous and exiting to find something buried for 200 million years and you are the first person on the planet who has seen this, it makes me feel the connection with the long lost past. 

Those are all geologic periods of time. Carboniferous is a more european term and in the US it is normally divided into the missipian and pennsylvanian periods.

your hobby is also very interesting and must be very rewarding since you can help treat babies and make a difference in the world

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Maybe @Gimlet can comment as I think he drives one.  It must have some multi-sensor array that combines readings from the all over the car to detect things.  There's that one video where it actually avoids a large truck changing lanes into it so it swerves out of the way.  I wonder whether some sort of video recognition software would help as even basic cameras can do face recognition.  You would think that tire recognition would be a given.  If it could see that truck with the rolling tires turning into its path maybe edge recognition could find enough contrast to detect the rectangular frame of the truck container?  It sounds like the more complicated you get the more potential problems sprout up...

@HunkaHunkaBurningLovethere is a video for Volvo heavy trucks that shows collision avoidance by automatically braking this huge truck and stopping just before impact, so the technology is there.

I've been following some of the autonomous driving developments, and recently I heard that the Google self-driving cars have been in some accidents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35800285

You wonder how they got approval to allow the computer driven cars on the road.  I guess no system is perfect, but you would think they would have had to make the system totally foolproof.  Imagine if a Google car were to kill someone... But it looks like Tesla got there first... 

Regarding paleontology, I've always wished that someone could invent an invisible time machine probe that could be sent back in time to the age of the dinosaurs so we could get live video of that era.  The drone could be remotely controlled to zoom around and see what exactly happened back then without being noticed.  It could also solve many crime mysteries and find the whereabouts of missng persons.  I would guess though that the government would restrict its usage because other countries could snoop into each other's secrets....

It's a relatively new technology and as far as I know the Tesla uses a camera that's behind the rear view mirror, the normal parking sensors that give a graphical indication on the instrument display when anything gets close and also radar which is just below the front number plate. It shows the edge of the road, the vehicles in front of you, even showing if it's a car or a lorry and white lines on the display and when they are good enough the auto pilot becomes available. I've used it carefully on main roads with good markings but Tesla advise against this and only recommend it's use on motorways and dual carriageways.

To enable it on the car for each driver you have to go through the warning screens that tell you that it is still in public beta mode and to always keep your hands on the wheel.

In effect you are the back up system and must stay alert enough to take control when the system can't cope, contra flow systems through motorway roadworks are a good example where when it loses sight of the white lane markings it just gives a loud double "Bong" and gives control back to you.

Unlike the Google system which requires a mapping car to travel every inch of every road  before their autonomous cars can use it the Tesla model is using all the information gathered from every one of it's auto pilot equiped cars which is all sent back to the mothership and integrated into the system for the rest of the fleet to make use of.

I personally have experienced the car avoiding a collision on the motorway and it definately gets your adrenalin pumping when at 70mph in the fast lane it suddenly decides to zig zag sideways to avoid another car that has just joined the motorway and come straight across the middle lane and two feet across the white line into  your lane. My passengers all woke up and shouted at me thinking I had lost control until I told them it was the car and pointed out the offending mini driver. 

could it work-will it work- should it be used

With autonomous motorised vehicles we are now at the 'will it work' stage (with the driver in the driving seat still having full resposibility; Google being the exception to the rule).

The most insteresting discussion will arise when we get to the ' should it be used' stage, when people will try to wrap their heads arount the ethical implications of autonomous vehicles communicating with other participants in traffic steered by AI/fuzzy logic. F.ex. should the collision prevention algorithm give priority to the driver's safety af all times or will it f. ex. favor 'weaker' participants, deciding to drive your car into a tree/river to save a group joggers? If the latter were the case  it could be made safer to ride an EUC than a 2-tonne SUV around town. :D

It is definately still in the beta stage at the moment and has a lot of failings, the biggest I've found so far is that it doesn't even seem to see cyclists on dual carriageways and I assume would mow straight through them without my intervention. 

On the other hand on long motorway journeys, where cyclists are banned thank god, it is very relaxing and a great aid. If you treat it like realy good self centering steering that tries to keep you central to your lane, but can easily be overcome by a little extra steering pressure, you then just let it take care of keeping the distance to the car front and speed. 

It seems to work great and keeps getting better as long as you are aware of it's shortcomings and stay prepared to take over when it fails.

Like I said,  it's new technology and early days as yet.

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

If you treat it like realy good self centering steering that tries to keep you central to your lane, but can easily be overcome by a little extra steering pressure, you then just let it take care of keeping the distance to the car front and speed. 

That is the best description yet of self driving cars that I have seen.  And that is a very good function, keeping the distance to the car front and speed.  That would eliminate tailgaters, which I can't stand, and reduce a lot of stress.

Archived