Ninebot One E+ Upgrade to 1.4.0 Poll

dbfrese

A poll for Ninebot E+ riders only please! Ninebot One E+ Upgrade to Firmware 1.4.0 ????  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Based on personal experience of updating to firmware version 1.4.0, I recommend that other E+ riders:

• Upgrade to 1.4.0 as soon as possible. It is awesome!
    • Meh. Doesn't matter if you do or don't, it didn't do much either way, that I noticed.
    • STOP! Don't do it! It was a mistake to update to 1.4.0.
    • I just wanna see the results of the poll. I don't own an E+, or I do and want to know what early adopters think of 1.4.0.
    • I ride a Ninebot One P, and want a poll of of Ninebot One P riders to see what they think.

I'm sticking with 1.3.0. I tried 1.3.5 on another E+ and I didn't like how the pedals tilted during turns and while accelerating. I don't want to risk not liking 1.4.0 since there's no going back!

@Shoe73 so far no problems with 4.0 but it would be nice to know what the upgrades actually entailed. Not sure why the company is so secretive.

Okay so I guess I'll do it. It's a pretty small sampling, but for the E+ there are 4 riders who've tried it so far and say yes, two who don't care either way, and zero negatives.

I'll load the new firmware tonight, but it may be a little while before I can test it out. Yesterday it was 118oF (48oC) and it's too hot to ride outside, and the E+ probably wouldn't like it either!

Ive done the update to 1.4.0 about a week ago and could not see any problems.

Tiltbacks are way more smoother now and I can feel a very little vibrating from the motor overthe pedals when Im still standing.

I upgraded from 1.2.3, 

Much smoother tiltback, better slow tight turns and breaking.

Feels more responsive and smoother.

Ride style 3 before and after upgrade.

I'm happy with the upgrade

3 hours ago, egiljo said:

Much smoother tiltback,

@egiljo now that you mention it, I remember tiltback being more sudden on 1.3.5 and it is less startling on 1.4.0.  It's slower so you don't feel like you will fall off forwards.  But it is strong and will slow you down.  I only wish it could be set at a little faster speed, like at 9 mph.

The poll does not apply to me since I am at version 1.2.5 and since I have not experienced problems with that version and I do not like their policy in which downgrades are not allowed, I am staying with 1.2.5 unless there is a change in policy in which the customer can choose the firmware freely.

So I did finally upgrade the firmware to 1.4.0, and I am pleased. It's hard to describe the difference, but it seems to make the ride more comfortable and the effect is most notable in making tight turns. Whatever the changes were, the latest firmware makes them a lot more fun and easier to accomplish. Don't ask how, I can't really quantify it, but it is very noticeable if highly subjective!

Updated a few minutes ago. The experience to drive on one spot back and forward is really bad, feels like a sudden lost of power! Do not update if you like to do isome tricks on your wheel. Oh no! No way back :-(

One thing I noticed when riding today, was warning beeps when I over lean in steep climbs. Also when trying to accelerate over the limit of what the bot could do. 

I jumped from 1.2.3 so it may have been there before 1.4.0 ?

I like this feedback, makes me feel confident to push the limits 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but after a year of satisfied driving with the NB1 I am done with it. Since I accidently updated to 1.4.0 I had a handfull short time cut offs while doing tricks in front of my house. Just a small beep occurs and the power is gone for half of a second, then back again. It feels unstable, as I am an experienced rider I did not fall... You can prevent this by doing very smooth turn an direction changes. But I don´t like th behavior anymore. I lost my trust in this unit...Since there is no way back (Firmware wise) I made a decision:

I will leave the NB club and join the Inmotion club. My V5F+ is on its way. I hope I am not disappointed again...

Thanks Ninebot for a year of fun and exciting moments (Firmware Updates ;-)

Just updated my new Flame to 4.0. Have not had any problems with the older E+ conversion either. I always felt the responsiveness and acceleration was smoother than the 1.2.5.  Now i hear all these issues with the 4.0. Hopefully 'Double Trouble' does not stalk me now?

8 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove 74kg. Before the update the wheel had no problem with strong direction changes... I rode the wheel of a friend with same behavior- definitely caused by Firmwareupgrade

Pure guessing, but it could be that they dropped the overcurrent limit after which the wheel shuts down in the newer firmware, maybe they had too many boards failing due to overcurrent.

This is what I guess as well. It is a decision between safety for the board against the rider. If this wheel cannot brake a person of 74kg, what about people with 100kg or more? The wheel is specified for riders weight up to 120kg!?

22 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

What does @Jonathan Tolhurst use as his firmware?  That guy should be Ninebot's firmware tester as he seems to put his wheel through its paces.  

Hi, I am on 1.3.5. When doing tricks and riding on ramps/slopes you really need to have a very detailed understanding of how the wheel is going to behave. Changing the firmware means potentially changing the whole behaviour of the wheel! I am very happy with v1.3.5 and as there is no way to test or review the new firmware code and no mechanism to roll back I personally won't be "updating" from the 1.3.5 version.

I find it very annoying that the Android App asks you whether you want to update the NB firmware every time you use the app.

Archived