What minimum range are you happy with per charge?

With new battery technologies developing, there likely will be a day where all EUCs will be capable of travelling 100 kms per charge.

Right now though what minimum range do you expect from your ideal EUC per charge?  Are you happy with 20 kms, 30 kms, 40?  My wheel only goes 6 kms tops, but I have a new battery on order so I hope to double my range.  12 kms would probably be fine for me as my feet get tired after a while.  It would be nice to have a 30 km range so I wouldn't need to ever worry about battery charge.  I don't think that I would ever come close to using up a 50 km battery although I guess it would be nice to have the reserve range there for you.  I just don't think it's too common to make 70 km trips on a regular basis.  What travel distance are most people doing?

My typical riding trip (just for leisure) last summer was 20 to 25km on one go. The 25km ones were really stretching it, and on some occasions the batteries died a few hundred meters before home & I had to carry the wheel :P Would have liked to do longer trips... The battery capacity was limiting my route choices.

As I fit into the "high load" category (i.e. because I'm fat) getting 20-30km would be ideal - and I don't mean just on the flat, but including reasonable hills in that range...

I think that 50 km at close to top speed is good for me, especially considering that I have no other vehicle of transportation. It would actually be nice to able to ride 100+ km for some long trip, perhaps off road, but when considering how much batteries cost right now, it's just not worth the expense for excessive battery capacity, not even considering the additional weight and space requirements. 

I want more and more range. I'd love to have an euc that can go 160 Km in one charge. Perhaps next decade it will exist.

I get about 60 Km range on my current euc. So 100 more to go before we're there!

4 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

With new battery technologies developing, there likely will be a day where all EUCs will be capable of travelling 100 kms per charge.

Right now though what minimum range do you expect from your ideal EUC per charge?  Are you happy with 20 kms, 30 kms, 40?  My wheel only goes 6 kms tops, but I have a new battery on order so I hope to double my range.  12 kms would probably be fine for me as my feet get tired after a while.  It would be nice to have a 30 km range so I wouldn't need to ever worry about battery charge.  I don't think that I would ever come close to using up a 50 km battery althogh I guess it would be nice to have the reserve range there for you.  I just don't think it's too common to make 70 km trips on a regular basis.  What travel distance are most people doing?

Ks 18" with 1500wh can already travel 100km if the rider is no more than 60kg, so we have seen this day already).

with my 100kg i can only do 25miles on my 840kw battery. I always want more range but realistically 20-25 miles are enough for most of my trips. Lrger batteries translate into bigger weight/ size so at the moment i am quite content with the range.

I get 35 miles on my KS 14C 680 wh with my weight (130 pounds /59 kg). However, I would be PERFECTLY happy with just having 25 miles on a charge (And that gives me a massive buffer already). I care a lot about weight now so I'm willing to sacrifice some battery for less weight.

I am getting around 2 days of use out of my E+. Thats ca. 20km and then there is more power left to get an extra run round and about (lunch). I chose 9b1 because of that range so I am quite happy about battery capacity. But yeah, could always get use for more) So 388Wh battery sounds like a good upgrade

Last weekend I went on a trip of (almost) 40 km. I want to do trips up to twice this distance.

I am 110 kg, driving a KS 18a 1360Wh. Half the distance was on dedicated bicycle paths and the other half was offroad. Some stretches were really hard going, with loose gravel and windy conditions. It was pretty exhausting at times, but also in beautiful forest and heath. It is for making these trips that I bought my second wheel.

After 40 km the battery indicated 60% full. This means that the my tripdistance may actually go up to around 80 km. I have not yet experience my wheel with low battery though. 

With the first wheel (nb1 E+) I could do 15-18 km max, and very soon I was looking for a wheel with a larger range. 

On a daily basis 25km would be enough to take me to and from work with a little spare range. My current EUC has a 50-60 km range which allows me to go even if I forget to charge during the night. I was offered a battery upgrade which would take me close to 80 km, but that would be overkill. I don't see any situation where I would need that range.

On 23 мая 2016 г. at 5:21 AM, johrhoj said:

Last weekend I went on a trip of (almost) 40 km. I want to do trips up to twice this distance.

I am 110 kg, driving a KS 18a 1360Wh. Half the distance was on dedicated bicycle paths and the other half was offroad. Some stretches were really hard going, with loose gravel and windy conditions. It was pretty exhausting at times, but also in beautiful forest and heath. It is for making these trips that I bought my second wheel.

After 40 km the battery indicated 60% full. This means that the my tripdistance may actually go up to around 80 km. I have not yet experience my wheel with low battery though. 

With the first wheel (nb1 E+) I could do 15-18 km max, and very soon I was looking for a wheel with a larger range. 

Its hard to gauge the range by extrapolating the remaining bars on the battery indicator- sometimes they are deceiving. If you have a chance please use up the battery one day to check the total range until the indicator starts flashing after the two bars. My prediction is , depending on the terrain and your riding style, you should be able to get from 65 to 85 km per charge

Being "a bit heavy", I get 30km out of the KS14C and 39 out of the MCM2s, both 680Wh, mixed land configuration, not all flat.

30km is the very minimum for me, I would not buy any wheel with less because it would be frustrating.

For those people who prefer a longer range per charge, do you you still get "range anxiety" and check your distance travelled on your app?  With my current 6 km range, I carefully plan my route so I don't get stuck carrying my EUC home.  With a 25 km or higher range I'd be concerned about getting stuck out in the middle of no where way farther than 3 kms from home.  

Do you carefully plot your course so it's not more than half your range so you can be assured you have enough battery to get home?  I suppose that those who have a large reserve of battery left after most trips don't worry too much as they know they wouldn't be travelling farther than half their capacity.  For those who have a medium sized range would you prefer if your EUC had an easily replaceable battery pack so you can bring along an emergency spare pack so you'll never get stuck or is it not really a concern as you always have enough power to spare?  Or do you carry a charger around while travelling?

If manufacturers could without adding too much weight incorporate the charging circuit into the EUC and add in a retractable charging cord like on a vacuum cleaner would you want something like that so you can charge on the go?

I think some of the KingSong 14 EUCs and a MooHoo (?) wheels had a swappable battery pack cartridge, but it doesn't seem to be a common feature so maybe it's not that popular to have.

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

For those people who prefer a longer range per charge, If manufacturers could without adding too much weight incorporate the charging circuit into the EUC and add in a retractable charging cord like on a vacuum cleaner would you want something like that so you can charge on the go?

I could see something like that being possible with the King Song 18. It has the space in the case for sure! Maybe someone will mod one.

On 22.5.2016 at 0:14 AM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Right now though what minimum range do you expect from your ideal EUC per charge?  Are you happy with 20 kms, 30 kms, 40?  My wheel only goes 6 kms tops, but I have a new battery on order so I hope to double my range.  12 kms would probably be fine for me as my feet get tired after a while.  It would be nice to have a 30 km range so I wouldn't need to ever worry about battery charge.  I don't think that I would ever come close to using up a 50 km battery althogh I guess it would be nice to have the reserve range there for you.  I just don't think it's too common to make 70 km trips on a regular basis.  What travel distance are most people doing?

The problem with the feets are limiting. It's a problem of todays pedals and the sensitivity of current firmware.

I'm happy with 40+ km on flat road and 30 km with inclines. All below 20 km is not usable and not safe anyway (enough capacity for acceleration, braking, inclines).

3 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I carefully plan my route so I don't get stuck carrying my EUC home.

Do you make allowances for hills, wind, et cetera? 

There's not many hills here, and I'm generally careful not to tackle anything too steep.  With 6 km maximum range you have to be extra careful or else it's walking time carrying a bowling ball!  I usually just do a circuit around the neighbourhood which works out to be under 6 km which is plenty so far for me.  My feet get a little tired going that long without a break.

Wind doesn't seem to make a huge difference for me, and temperature didn't seem to lower my battery power that much when I went rolling during a 3 C day.  I'll be glad when my spare battery arrives so I can do a quick swap mod so I will have some extra range handy to decrease my range anxiety.

7 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I'll be glad when my spare battery arrives so I can do a quick swap mod so I will have some extra range handy to decrease my range anxiety.

That would be awesome. You could literally ride until you can't, and then just "refresh" and ride home! 

must be a balance between weight batteries , charging time , battery width (I have a 264wh unicycle and other wh 132 and the latter is more streamlined to drive ) , however, when you travel for an hour and a half , after you have to rest a little ' of time

12 minutes ago, Luca Morello said:

however, when you travel for an hour and a half , after you have to rest a little ' of time

You can't really make such general  statements:)

I often ride with a group of friends and it sometimes last 6 hours, we just make a break to have a beer and fast charge wheels that need to (not all do, even for more than 50 km rides) with 5A chargers.

6 hours ago, Reivax said:

You can't really make such general  statements:)

I often ride with a group of friends and it sometimes last 6 hours, we just make a break to have a beer and fast charge wheels that need to (not all do, even for more than 50 km rides) with 5A chargers.

You can actually ride for 6 hrs straight with only 1 break in between? And you dont get cramps in your feet from standing on the pedals? I sure wanna be you when i grow up...

Well it's not 6 hours straight , as I said we make a break, for about one hour and a half. Also, it's not a race and not like riding non stop on a highway: when riding in the city or suburbs we stop for pedestrians, cars, to look at the scenery, to chat... etc.

Here is an example of a recent ride that took 6hr (break included) for 49km:

I even have a friend who rode 1600 km in about 18 days on his Gotway MSuper (customized so he can sit on it sometimes), from Amsterdam to the south of France.

For French speaking people, here is the blog telling about his trip: http://jiraichargerchezvous.blogspot.fr/2015/10/la-ligne-darrivee-les-hautes-pyrenees.html?m=1

7 hours ago, Luca Morello said:

6 hours standing ? it seems almost a job . I think realistically we can integrate with car rental per minute or other means of transport .

But, such rides are not to go from point a to point b, they are more like exploratory rides to places nice to visit and worth seeing :)

It's for the fun of wheel riding with friends too, we would never think of doing the same itinerary with a rental car

Archived