RIP a very sad day...

12 minutes ago, RoboFixIt said:

Would it be better / safer to ride smaller wheels?

At equal speed a smaller wheel will have less safety headroom as well as be more prone to bumps, so save a few exceptions, IMO, no..

Edited by null
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoboFixIt said:

So sad to hear about this RIP! We pray for healing for all impacted!

Would it be better / safer to ride smaller wheels?

Big wheels are fine as long as one chooses the right speed for conditions. Bike paths are generally unsafe at speeds over about 40kmh. Easy to go too fast for those conditions when the top speed on your wheel is more than double than that.

18 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Easy to go too fast for those conditions when the top speed on your wheel is more than double than that.

And yet, fast cars aren't banned from city centers, so at some point it has to be the rider to be responsible for choosing his speed. (I’m mentioning this because I have read several times that powerful PEVs should be banned from cycle lanes, as if the rider didn't have any control over the speed, and I just find this unreasonable, hence the analogy)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Stop talking about: small vs big wheels, speed, bike lanes, what's safe or not safe..

Leave this tread alone. Say some good, heartfelt words to passed one. Otherwise zip it. Show some respect?!

Edited by Funky
  • Confused 1

Oh sorry for wanting to show some respect. By wanting this tread to stay "on topic". Otherwise it would get derailed as all other treads.. (Forgetting altogether that we are commenting in tread about someone's death.)

But as you where folks - keep small taking non trivial things over one's death.. Sorry for butting in. Who cares if he was/wasn't a member of this community. It's a death! Not some trivial thing like a cut-out, or wheel stopping working.

4 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Says the guy responsible for derailing more threads than probably any other user..

Yup. And if that's coming from me - it says something.. <3

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Frolic0415 said:

He wasn't wearing his helmet and was riding very fast.

Aren't unicycles illegal in Victoria?

Edit: Found this online.

The following devices are not considered legal devices and are not allowed to be ridden in public areas: 

• e-scooters capable of travelling faster than 25 km/h
  • devices powered by a petrol motor
  • electric skateboards
  • electric unicycles or monocycles 
  • electric roller-skates
  • self-balancing motorised devices
  • other personal mobility devices which don’t meet the above definition.   

The above devices can only be ridden on private property. The fine for riding an illegal device in a public area is $925. Other penalties may also apply

Edited by DavidB
Additional info

56 minutes ago, Frolic0415 said:

He wasn't wearing his helmet and was riding very fast.

wrong on the helmet part.

If we don't learn the correct lessons from this then it will happen again. And again. And again.

I have no issue with large wheels whatsoever; I was saying that riders have to be doubly careful about how and when they use all that power and speed. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, DavidB said:

Aren't unicycles illegal in Victoria?

Edit: Found this online.

The following devices are not considered legal devices and are not allowed to be ridden in public areas: 

• other personal mobility devices which don’t meet the above definition.   

The above devices can only be ridden on private property. The fine for riding an illegal device in a public area is $925. Other penalties may also apply

it must be said that the legislator here has secured all rights to declare illegal and hand out fines. This sentence (bold above)  basically says that anything that can be considered a personal vehicle regardless of means of propulsion is illegal. In reality, it is open to personal interpretation what a personal vehicle is.  This then leaves only two opportunities: Stay at home on the sofa and be sure not to get a fine, or go out and enjoy the world with your vehicle.   It is again and again sad to see how gullible and uncertain about the future those who rule the country can be, and are.  And what is even worse, there is certainly someone who will now come forward (not in this forum) with sly comments that this would not have happened at all if the law had been observed.  But these kinds of comments do nothing to change the very sad :( situation, and you can get into an accident everywhere, regardless of how hard you try to be "law-abiding". :wacko:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

wrong on the helmet part.

If we don't learn the correct lessons from this then it will happen again. And again. And again.

The helmet was found dozens of metres away from the crash site and he was known for riding whilst holding his helmet in his hand. His head trauma also shows pretty concrete signs of this as well.

Source: He's passed me multiple times on rides at high speeds whilst holding his helmet, including on this specific trail.

Why talk about the learning from the correct lessons if you then proceed to not learn from them? Why would you tell me I'm wrong if you have no idea? Quite rude, please don't spread misinformation.

Edited by Frolic0415
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Frolic0415 said:

The helmet was found dozens of metres away from the crash site and he was known for riding whilst holding his helmet in his hand.

Thanks for that information. Whilst I appreciate it isn't conclusive I feel it's worthy evidence. It struck a chord with me because a few guys I have ridden with do the same, it makes no sense to me. I'll never berate anyone for their gear (or lack of) but I don't get why you would go to the faff of carrying a piece of protective equipment when it's generally far easier to just wear it. The only time my helmet comes off during a ride is if I get a bug in it and at that point I've slowed to a max of 10mph whilst I'm distracted sorting out the critter. Other than that, modern lids are so light and airy (especially full face MTB types) I just can't imagine not wearing one now and I genuinely don't even notice it. That said, I'm no saint because if I was serious about helmets I would be using full face MC types but of course something is generally better than nothing.

This is such a sad incident and will echo around the fraternity for some time I feel. My condolences to the family and those that knew James :(

• Upvote 1