RIP a very sad day...

On 4/22/2024 at 5:44 AM, techyiam said:

Regulations don't magically make accidents go away. As long as we have people riding these things, people will get hurt or die.

True. But if that is the argument why have any traffic regulation at all?

The point of having regulation in the first place is to have a standard that we can expect people to comply to, and those that doesn't can get a hint/punishment others don't get as long they comply to the standards.

Another way to look at this is the freedom I have in my home Vs in a public space where others are just as free to be.I could walk naked in my home, but on 5th avenue it is not suited to do so.

Now I don't advocate too much regulation but I do think a huge majority will benefit if reasonable rules apply Vs a full blown out ban. I don't want a ban. But people that ride as a race could do this in closed areas as a track, it doesn't belong in public areas/traffic. Just like this apply to cars or MC.

Now this incident could maybe have been avoided, but I can't say that for sure. But I do know that helmets  help in most cases to mitigate an accident and high speed do not add to help when things goes wrong for whatever reason. That is why I can only hope people in general will ride responsibly. Or an EUC can be a deadly weapon to the surroundings or the rider. Freedom to ride isn't freedom to do whatever....

• Upvote 2

A little regulation can go a long way. Then you quickly start to see diminishing returns. (We do NOT have a little regulation.)

How much is one life worth? One injury?

What if it's you or your relative/friend that gets harmed. What's stopping you from making a bad legislative deal? Pushing for a regulation that creates more trouble than it's worth.

If you vote against it, does that mean you're killing people?

Also, just because there's regulation, what makes you think that's going to protect your kids walking to school?

What I'm getting at is, it's a poor system. How about we don't try to rely on it to solve our problems.