What's everyone think about the Ustride video?

I dont know what was really agreed and not (to be fair), but it appears Ustride at least had the guy thinking the race was for slips. Really scummy if so yes, all for that youtube buck likely... Almost worse tho, is how these dudes ride in city traffic by night. As if cars are not able to go faster, zigzag between lanes or pass red lights while scaring the pedestrians crossing the road. My 2c. :D

• Upvote 3

Putting aside the riding etiquette given thats not what this thread is about, I am way too attached to my kneecaps to race for a vehicle and then not hand over my slip when I lost. U stride is a brave man for sure. I sure couldnt sleep easy after it personally.

• Upvote 2

According to Zen Lee anyone who was involved in that race has been deleted and banned and apparently the other thread that had 800 something comments was deleted as well. I assume he was talking about this forum and not something on Fasciabook.

I've done outlaw style racing before in cars and its a risky proposition. We would find strips of road in industrial areas or semi rural stretches of road where we could show off without really putting anyone other than the spectators who got in the way or stood in a bad spot at risk. It was a risk of being a part of that crowd. Usually the cops were more interested we move somewhere else rather than writing a bunch of tickets (unless it was a task force). Being in a major metro area that was pretty easy to do. People would bust up and go to the next location / jurisdiction.

Having said that I've been involved in other performance oriented scenes and its videos of people racing through cities, around pedestrians, through neighborhoods and doing sideshows in intersections and on major highways, stopping highway traffic to pull stunts. It only ever leads to one thing. Lawmakers see that, they conflate it with some fast and furious bullship and then someone gets seriously hurt and they drop the hammer on PEVs like every rider is blowing lights and running into pedestrians in crosswalks (which happened recently in another race by Ustride). Or they come up with lame licensing requirements or import restrictions on motor sizes.  Entertaining video for us also means that ppl will get used to it and crazier and crazier things have to be done to keep interest. If you are gonna do that. Keep it underground. But videotaping yourself violating traffic law and being a hazard in public will catch up to you once eyebrows are raised. Keep in mind cameras are everywhere now and in some cities cops have a network of privately owned cameras they can investigate for proof of evidence if they can get a rough time and date.

Everyone who steps on a wheel is responsible for their own safety. If you ride high and fast with no gear on, one day your number may get called while you are maxed out. The hurt you feel from wearing gear vs riding naked is substantially different. If you do that and hit a pedestrian or damage someones property in the process. That's not cool youtube video or not. I hate nanny states and I prefer to keep that kind of stuff out of the mainstream so the lawmakers don't have something to do.

Ride hard, ride fast& ride wisely.

just my opinion

ZD

• Like 2

I only watched a few seconds but it looked reckless.

Still love the guy's other videos. The blitz videos aren't for me.

Similar thing with chooch. Bit crazy but I'm not into canceling anyone. Just don't watch that video if it's reckless.

Edited by alcatraz

7 hours ago, RNO EUC said:

According to Zen Lee anyone who was involved in that race has been deleted and banned and apparently the other thread that had 800 something comments was deleted as well. I assume he was talking about this forum and not something on Fasciabook.

Not to my knowledge.

A thread with comments sounds more like facebook, not a forum.

Maybe in the facebook group with the same name?

10 hours ago, Chriull said:

Not to my knowledge.

A thread with comments sounds more like facebook, not a forum.

Maybe in the facebook group with the same name?

Yeah, likely that. All the posts, videos and memes in that group regarding the incident were deleted in the FB group.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:41 PM, atdlzpae said:

Two thoughts:
1) Riding like that is how you get EUC's banned. We're rare enough that we don't get the "averaging" of thought as "there are good and bad drivers" that cars, bicyclists or e-scooter riders get.
2) That guy in front is pushing his wheel to the max AND has zero protection. First faceplant will damage his hands severely.

I'd be way less angry if they did it at 2am when there is barely any traffic. But they decided to do this when there are plenty of cars and pedestrians for some incalculable reason.

1) Riding like that is how you get a massive ticket or arrested; not how you get EUCs banned.  EUCs aren't technically 'legal' on roads anyways, at least not at those speeds.  Possibly though they're bringing more attention to law enforcement, who may decide it's time to crackdown on people breaking the law and maybe even enforce the actual laws on all EUC riders as well as e-bikes.

2) First faceplant will damage his face pretty severely too. :efee8319ab:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1