What's everyone think about the Ustride video?

Our problem is not the possibility of getting banned, it is the impossibility of getting explicitly legal.

And the reason that is not happening is because the riders in our own communities are dressing up like power rangers and (in my community in particular) screaming at pedestrians who feel threatened by PEVs on sidewalks.

If we want to get legal we have to make EUC riding an anyone-can-do-it thing, what happens in NYC is totally irrelevant to that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Vanturion said:

Which is an even dumber take as it not only gives people/the-public the wrong impression that it's perfectly safe to discount the possibility of an accident and subsequent avoidable injury, but he's putting himself at increased risk to broadcast this ill-advised message. SMH.

The thought process is invalidated by the premise being false. Riding EUCs is risky behavior and gear appropriately helps mitigate that risk.

Yes, but he could understand his thought process (which is erroneous, indeed). This is called empathy, and it is a type of intelligence especially we men, kind of lack, and it’s a pity, cause it makes us more human and more intelligent.

18 hours ago, upL8N8 said:

Alienrides is generously rewarding and promoting stupidity to advertise their shop and sell wheels.   They're struggling to sell their inventory with all the Telegram sellers, but using an illegal and dangerous event to advertise their store, and rewarding a guy who took more risks than anyone and pressured U-Stride to add additional risk to the event by racing for pinks... yeah, I don't think rewarding this guy or this type of event is the best way to promote the hobby. 

ARs was probably thinking, "it'll only cost us ~$2250 to ship out an EX30 and leach off of what might be the biggest news out of the EUC community this year".

AR should stick to closed circuit race events, and promote influencers who do cool shit that, at the very least, doesn't put unaware pedestrians at high risk of getting hurt / killed, or doesn't promote a complete lack of safety gear when they know full well the inherent risk of EUC cutout whether it be from overpowering or simple failure in the electronics.

While I'm not a huge fan of Eevees management, what AR just did effectively undermines everything Eevees has been doing to promote legal road use for EUCs.  It's hard to claim that EUCs need big powerful motors for safety or argue claims of them being a nuisance is exaggerated, when another EUC store is promoting this particular type of illegal race.

ARs also now made it impossible for U-Stride to do the right thing and pay up given that everyone universally agrees that he's in the wrong... possibly saving some measure of his reputation...  Or maybe he would just refuse and his reputation would be dead.

IMO, Blitz races were a good idea for the community.... right up until the moment Stride started selecting courses that put pedestrians directly in the path of fast moving EUC racers, and again right up until he accepted these stakes against the "for the love of the race" intentions of this whole thing.  I guess maybe he really thought voiding the stakes at the end of the race wouldn't come across as badly as it did.  Sorry, but that only works if you win.

I bet U stride wouldn't have had any issue taking Wheezy's Master Pro if he had won. But we cannot discuss that because that is not what happened. He lost and he reneged on his word. You cannot be a competitor in any sport and not honor your word. Well you can but no one is ever going to respect you again

18 hours ago, Vanturion said:

Like I said before, if legislators have access to experts who understand how to appropriately analyze risk, these devices cannot be made road legal due to the possibility of an electronic failure dumping the rider into traffic and getting run by the car behind them, so you're right about the impossibility of them becoming "road or traffic" legal if that's what you mean.

The risk you are ignoring by only placing importance on your own entertainment here is that the law-of-the-jungle types will eventually elevate public attention to the degree that police begin to issue heavy fines or escalate to confiscations and stop anyone seen on a wheel in or on public roadways. That's the future UStride and his friends are "helping" bring about here.

There is nothing stopping a car from exploding on the street. I am a diesel tech and I have gone to multiple sites where the diesel "ran away" from the operator and it actually happens quite often. If you are ever on the west coast and see like a "turn off" with what looks like a dirt wall at the end. That's what those are for, to crash trucks into to get them to stop when the Truck won't stop accelerating.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Vanturion said:

Which is an even dumber take as it not only gives people/the-public the wrong impression that it's perfectly safe to discount the possibility of an accident and subsequent avoidable injury, but he's putting himself at increased risk to broadcast this ill-advised message. SMH.

The thought process is invalidated by the premise being false. Riding EUCs is risky behavior and gear appropriately helps mitigate that risk.

It's possible to wear full gear and not look like you stepped out of a Call of Duty game. You can wear the pads under pants (motorcycle jeans, other style pants) and upper body gear under long sleeves, plus the full face helmet. People can see you're wearing a lot of protective gear, but you don't look like you're about go bust an entrenched drug cartel.

One looks responsible to onlookers; the other raises suspicions about whether you should be doing what you're doing in any kind of proximity to them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eezo said:

One looks responsible to onlookers; the other raises suspicions about whether you should be doing what you're doing in any kind of proximity to them.

Really? I think the last thing we need is gear police when people are simply trying to make the best choices to keep themselves safe when riding.

I mean I agree up to a point, but how many people are painting pirate skulls on their gear, or displaying gang symbols for that matter, or visibly strapping on firearms like Robocop when cruising the block on their wheel? Feel free to link any examples of egregiously anti-social safety-gear wearing riders that aren't on their way to some kind of Cosplay.

Outside of the I-may-have-just-robbed-a-bank-all-black brigade, I think you're asserting a problem that doesn't largely doesn't exist.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

There is nothing stopping a car from exploding on the street. I am a diesel tech and I have gone to multiple sites where the diesel "ran away" from the operator and it actually happens quite often.

This is an assertion without proof (feel free to provide some links), automobiles don't just spontaneously explode. Even the Ford Pinto which became infamous for almost exactly that, required at least a low-speed collision before the design flaw caused the explosion and resulted in horrible fiery deaths. What you may be referring to is fuel delivery lines leaking or oil leaking onto hot surfaces like the exhaust manifold in older vehicles causing a fire which then requires the driver to quickly pull over and fight that fire if they have the means available to do so.

Even with those kind of dangerous failures, the driver seeing the smoke has time to pull over and safely exit the roadway. Not so with a wheel-cutout which can happen when the motor is over-powered due to an unforseen obstacle in the roadway or any kind of electrical failure of the numerous components required on the motorcontroller to keep things balanced, upright, and the rider in control.

5 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

If you are ever on the west coast and see like a "turn off" with what looks like a dirt wall at the end. That's what those are for, to crash trucks into to get them to stop when the Truck won't stop accelerating.

Even these kinds of examples still has the driver in control of their vehicle with mitigation plans for semi's who lose their ability to brake. The truck operator isn't just immediately dumped onto the highway left to the mercy or reaction time of the Tik-Tok scrolling driver behind them.

I get that people want EUCs to be road legal and gain some kind of codified permission from their respective governments to share the road, but I think that viewpoint is somewhat naive and relies on a certain level of ignorance amongst lawmakers (not that that's not a thing). Like I said, because of the failure mode of these vehicles, it's not feasible that they'll be treated like motorcycles gaining the same level of permitted access to the roads.

At best I think continued use of bike lanes and discrete use of public roadways in low-traffic areas is the most feasible goal for us which will realistically only persist for as long as the crowd of people flaunting all traffic regulations and holding unsanctioned downtown races is kept to a barest of minimums, ideally zero. IMO everyone who wants to avoid regulatory crackdowns should admonish excessively bad riding ettiquette and the publicity surrounding such.

Edited by Vanturion

1 minute ago, Vanturion said:

This is an assertion without proof (feel free to provide some links), automobiles don't just spontaneously explode. Even the Ford Pinto which became infamous for almost exactly that, required at least a low-speed collision before the design flaw caused the explosion and resulted in horrible fiery deaths. What you may be referring to is fuel delivery lines leaking or oil leaking onto hot surfaces like the exhaust manifold in older vehicles causing a fire which then requires the driver to quickly pull over and fight that fire if they have the means available to do so.

Even with those kind of dangerous failures, the driver seeing the smoke has time to pull over and safely exit the roadway. Not so with a wheel-cutout which can happen when the motor is over-powered due to an unforseen obstacle in the roadway or any kind of electrical failure of the numerous components required on the motorcontroller to keep things balanced, upright, and the rider in control.

I wasn't trying to imply that cars would randomly explode, or that cutouts are uncommon. With any mode of transportation there is inherent risk. I was just trying to simply state that no form of travel is "safe". You could be walking outside and a piece of the ISS could fall off and nail you in the head. So you should you not walk outside? I was just trying to state that living life comes with the inherent risk of it ending prematurely

36 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I was just trying to state that living life comes with the inherent risk of it ending prematurely

Ok good, in that case we can enter the realm of nuance.

Let's say lawmakers have a proper grasp of the non-zero risk of electrical failure cut-out from these hobbyist level/quality PEVs, they understand that higher speeds in many models without some lean-back function don't simply top-out like conventional vehicles but increase the risk of causing a cut-out due to over-confidence, unanticipated obstacles, etc., and understand that any failure to keep the vehicle upright and balanced dumps the rider into the roadway and into traffic.

In addition to the unavoidable motor cut-out risks, these wheels have uniquely looong braking distances required to come to a stop further adding to the risks associated with their use in traffic and high density areas (or anywhere else for that matter).

All of this being the case, what incentives do lawmakers have to codify permission of these inherently more risky devices for use in traffic? And do those incentives outweigh the disincentives particularly when there are other perceived safer PEV alternatives that don't have the same risks outlined above such as e-bikes with already existing laws on the books permitting their use. This is also to say nothing of the loss of tax revenue typically provided by conventional vehicles when permitting potential transportation replacement low-cost alternatives to share the same infrastructure, what do lawmakers have to gain here?

That's more or less a more realistic look at the situation here. Obviously I'm not anti-EUCs, but I don't think it helps anyone to pretend they have a shot in hell of gaining the same legal status of motorcycles for use on public roadways, especially if some riders are mistakenly giving the public the impression that responsible riding doesn't require any gear in an attempt to misrepresent the risks associated with their use.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Vanturion said:

Feel free to link any examples of egregiously anti-social safety-gear wearing riders that aren't on their way to some kind of Cosplay.

Outside of the I-may-have-just-robbed-a-bank-all-black brigade, I think you're asserting a problem that doesn't largely doesn't exist.

How about a CBC video with 134k views on YouTube alone? The general public doesn't see people riding a GSX1300R looking like this. The general public doesn't see any of the motocross riders at the X games looking like a SWAT team. The general public doesn't see people on e-bikes looking like this. They don't see people on e-scooters or e-skates, or onewheels looking like this.

A rider going around looking like this raises the question in people's minds, "if someone is riding something and looks like that, I don't want them riding near me." Keep in mind, when it comes to what the public thinks, reality doesn't matter. Perception is the only thing that matters. Public perception is what drives government policy (lobbying and money does too, but that will never be on our side), so it doesn't matter what reality is, what matters is what the people think who write letters to their government representatives.

CBCEUC.PNG

Edited by eezo
  • Upvote 3