What's everyone think about the Ustride video?

14 minutes ago, Planemo said:

put them in a position where they have to be seen doing something and it's another matter.

This is what many people fail to either 1) understand, or 2) realize the importance of. If an EUC rider is a public nuisance or even just looks like they'll be a public nuisance, it forces the hand of law enforcement because they need to look like they care. They may not actually care, but like you said, Mrs Miggins has been pestering local government for 50+ years of her adult life about every little thing that bothers her, and police would rather shut an EUC rider down than have to deal with the bureaucratic headache of what will happen if Mrs Miggins goes to their bosses about something they didn't do.

• Upvote 1

Oh, U-stride has uploaded Part 2, for anyone else ghoulishly interested to see what happened next...

If nothing else, I'm quite impressed by how calm U-S manages to remain throughout, usually de-escalating whilst politely but firmly reiterating his argument until it is heard.

He might have confidence that he is much bigger guy than wheezy, but he isn't bigger than wheezy and 10 of his mates, so it still took some bravery I reckon to play the players, and then hang around to front them about it...

On 8/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, Vanturion said:

Like I said before, if legislators have access to experts who understand how to appropriately analyze risk, these devices cannot be made road legal due to the possibility of an electronic failure dumping the rider into traffic and getting run by the car behind them, so you're right about the impossibility of them becoming "road or traffic" legal if that's what you mean.

The risk you are ignoring by only placing importance on your own entertainment here is that the law-of-the-jungle types will eventually elevate public attention to the degree that police begin to issue heavy fines or escalate to confiscations and stop anyone seen on a wheel in or on public roadways. That's the future UStride and his friends are "helping" bring about here.

You mean appropriately suiting up for the risks they are taking so they don't end up with completely avoidable months or years long injuries. I didn't have to go far back to find the latest example of ignorance regarding EUCs and basic physics + the results.

Again, this is impossible for riding in or with traffic due to the failure mode. The most realistic goal is tacit acceptance or for legislators to continue to look the other way as the majority rides their wheels in ways that aren't disruptive or blatantly illegal.

You all like to over-emphasize the dangers in order to justify your right to natter at other people about their gear choices.

For casual riding and commuting gear is not required.

31 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

If nothing else, I'm quite impressed by how calm U-S manages to remain throughout

Might sound calm but I'm not convinced he is. Keeps deflecting about how good a race it was, that they 'tricked' each other, and does a fair bit of what I consider to be nervous laughing etc.

Shaking hands on something then knowingly 'tricking' them is a properly risky game whatever went down prior. And if there is an agreement that you're racing for pink slips, of course the people involved are going to believe it's for the vehicles they are currently on/in, not something at home/in a shop.

The release of breath at the end suggests he was indeed a bit stressed.

Keeping the camera on throughout was possibly an insurance policy...what other reason...?

U-Stride was on here only a year ago so I am wondering if he will comment, not that theres much more to be said about this fiasco IMO.

• Like 1

Wow this race really sparked controversy!  Banned ALOT of the active participants in the FB group over it, directly caused people to start a competing FB group that is thriving and really taking off.  I was banned for asking why the mass bans locks?  I was curious what rule or rules were broken as I felt this news, however people viewed the morality of the content, was newsworthy of the euc scene.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winterwheel said:

You all like to over-emphasize the dangers in order to justify your right to natter at other people about their gear choices.

For casual riding and commuting gear is not required.

Just to add one more thing in addition to what @Clem604 said above, I sort of care in the sense that avoidable injuries keep people out of hospitals. In countries with socialized medicine (who am I kidding, they’re just about all socialized now to some degree), isn’t it better to prevent avoidable injuries and not subsequently increase the burden on your fellow tax-payers?

Hell, it wasn’t that long ago the day-to-day propaganda was all about running out of hospital beds. A mostly rhetorical question, but does the logic of not wasting emergency resources only apply when the big-pharma and politicians get behind a particular agenda?

Most of us who introspect about our younger state of mind compared to our mind today understand how impressionable and poorly equipped the youth are to assess and deal with risk as they often vastly overestimate their own ability and luck. If I come off as a bit of a Nancy or Karen sometimes in advocating proper risk management in an effort to inform younger riders, I’m fine with that.

Muh casual riding (apologies for the music):

filthycasual.jpg.6370b5f294df2f32b3f49732369959e4.jpg

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 1

Gear choices topic comes up often in Seattle channels.  If it is a learner and I see them in what I feel is under geared, I will make a strong suggestion to get more protection, and take the time to explain why gear is important.  If the rider is not a novice, which is clearly the case in the race vid in this thread.  The rider obviously knows the dangers, and it is 1000% on them, as surely they have heard it all before a million times.  Making a big deal of it just cements their position, as now it's personal.  It's like asking a Trump support to get a Kamala Harris tattoo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich Sam said:

Making a big deal of it just cements their position, as now it's personal.

For sure, mostly the debates only happen online anyway, especially on discussion boards as it's the media that best supports the warring of ideas. Not only do you have time to craft an argument and link supporting evidence online, but here an idea can't punch you in the face :lol:.

It goes without saying that no one's going to want to ride with a guy belligerently badgering riders and playing gear police. If anything, an unlucky rider might encounter later offhand comments in person like "bummer you weren't wearing some protective equipment..." after inadvertently painting their skin red and/or getting their bone structure violently rearranged compliments of the asphalt/ground/etc.

Edited by Vanturion

Not a huge fan of spinning too far off topic but when it comes to gear, I will gear up as much as needed. It’s not just about one’s ability. If one is out on a casual ride and doing 10-15 mph, that’s all well and good. Those people have infinitely more faith in every other person on the road than I do. Spent 2.5 years in an environment looking at and working fatalities and other incidents. Anytime I am on the road, in a car, on a bike or on my EUC, my mantra is “Everyone is trying to kill you.” It’s also the first thing I told my kids when they were learning to drive. Be cautious. Gear up…..or not. Your body.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vanturion said:

This guy already broke rule number one: never talk to journos - as you generally don't get a say in which way they spin things depending upon the prerogative of the editors/publication, but respect for linking an example. At least in this case the spin wasn't bad IIRC, lucky for him and us.

So it looks like he's riding a Sherman/Max, what's that, something like 50 MPH top speed? That being the case he's almost 100% appropriately suited up for the risks associated with riding a wheel near those speeds (sans the fingerless gloves) even with the visible shoulder and possibly under-the-pants hip protection. I can't recall, but if the video didn't touch on it, he may have even spoke about why he needs all that gear which may have gotten cut for production. In any case, IMO the worst you can say is he doesn't have the best fashion sense in choosing Antifa black before getting on camera. Besides, I thought we were now living in a world that doesn't see color? :whistling:

At least he's not misrepresenting the risks to a public that is will forever be statistically permanently deficient in mitigating known risks until an accident befalls them personally.

To be clear, I fully support wearing all the protective equipment. I'm just saying, you can do it in a way that makes it clear that you're being responsible and wearing protective gear, while also not scaring or provoking Karens. 

Exhibit A, me. I'm wearing Leatt knee/shin guards, wrist guards, gloves, elbow pads, and a full motorcycle helmet. Vest because this was a night ride, normally I don't wear it. I also sometimes wear Bodyprox padded shorts under the pants depending on how fast I'm planning on riding.

If the rider in the earlier photo took off the chest/shoulder protector, he and I would be wearing the exact same gear. I'd actually be wearing better protection because he's wearing what looks like a mountain bike helmet and open finger gloves. If we were standing next to each other, which one of us do you think pedestrians would feel safer around? Which one do you think is going to draw more negative attention from law enforcement? SWAT team or safety patrol?

Part of what allows us (in a lot of places) to ride on bike paths or walking speed on sidewalks is because people have no idea how fast the device is. If we look like a better protected cyclist, people are more likely to treat us like cyclist and allow us to use mixed bicycle/pedestrian spaces. If we look like we're going to war, people are more likely to mentally treat us as motorcycle or dirt bike riders and then we lose access to a lot of mixed use spaces.

Perception is everything

PXL_20230803_012649235~2.jpg

Edited by eezo

On 8/17/2023 at 11:14 PM, Demian B said:

I believe that the last thing an euc rider should consider is how their protective gear might intimidate Karens.  My feeling is that you should gear up to your comfort level and Karens be damned!

It is the last thing I consider. I've considered everything else and have consideration left over. I'm sorry your consideration capabilities are apparently significantly lower than mine. 

I don't give a damn about Karens, I do give a damn about how Karens complain to local government. This isn't a complicated concept. 

Edited by eezo

12 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I'm surprised u-stride didn't get knocked out at 7:26 and his wheel taken. Very surprised. I watched the entire video thinking that was coming. The whole thing is cringe worthy and painful to watch.

Well they're not S.A.M.C.R.O, they ride eucs and drink bubble tea:lol:

• Haha 1

Its simple: if you ride disrespectfully people will have a negative opinion towards the crowd that rides whatever it is after encountering you. This even goes for road bicycles, many people dislike road bicyclists because of how those guys act/ride, not everyone, but plenty of them have done it and now there is a stigma with geared road bicycles, especially in groups. Obviously the same goes for supersport motorcycles, tuned cars, and supermotos. If you blow past someone on an EUC with complete disregard for their safety, scare the crap out of them, and flip them off for "not getting out of your way fast enough" ... next time they see an EUC the first thing that will come to their mind will be along the lines of "those things should be banned". I can be fully geared, pass by someone, slow down for it, calmly say "passing on your right" and then do it, and I guarantee you their reaction will not be that. If you want to act like a dbag ... dont be surprised that people think you are a dbag ... and you are.

Now as for the race, if you bet, dont bet more than you are willing to lose. Where I come from that conversation at the end would have ended with him losing the wheel and whatever he had on him, including that camera, for backing out on his word. Dude would have had to walk home in his underwear. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MadVlad said:

Now as for the race, if you bet, dont bet more than you are willing to lose. Where I come from that conversation at the end would have ended with him losing the wheel and whatever he had on him, including that camera, for backing out on his word. Dude would have had to walk home in his underwear. 

If you think that was worth three felonies, you have issues.

• Upvote 1

this asshole and others recording the same shit are the ones to blame when the euc community gets hit with tickets, insurance and whatever the hell they want to do to the euc riders.  there is no substitute for fucked , ...  let the idiots carry on doing whatever they want.  they will not get any sympathy from me,  when they get killed in some accident that they caused with their reckless riding... as for the admirers of their ignorance,  well,  they are all tube sheep... its the wrong way to get your 15mins of fame numb-nuts...

Edited by bpong

1 hour ago, sbb said:

If you think that was worth three felonies, you have issues.

Nah, I come from a different time and a different place, this would have been "justice", and snitching would have meant you better leave town afterwards or you catch a beating on sight, and even so it would have been his word against everyone else and nobody would have backed someone that "bitched out". My point is that in most places I have lived there would have been some sort of bad consequences for pulling something like this, but maybe Im just old and things have changed, I dont know. I remember in the 00s when people wanted to race for slips after watching the first Fast and the Furious we would take them aside and politely explain to them that they better be prepared to hand over the keys to that car afterwards.

Edited by MadVlad

2 hours ago, MadVlad said:

Nah, I come from a different time and a different place, this would have been "justice", and snitching would have meant you better leave town afterwards or you catch a beating on sight, 

Different, yes. Better, no.

:)

34 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

Different, yes. Better, no.

:)

I suppose. Im not sure what exists to keep people to their word today. I operate at the level of written contract at this stage in my life, so I have no idea how its done outside of that anymore. Maybe everyone just does and says whatever they feel like, running their mouth has no consequences, I dont know if thats always better.

• Like 1