Inmotion v13 useful information

Punxatawneyjoe

So, finally! Thank you @Paradox, now we know the recommended torque: 18 N.m ... I've just earlier today ordered the torque wrench / spanner. And despite coming from China, it might be still here sooner than my V13 or replacement bolts.

Edited by HEC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The auto light feature seems confused.

In normal suburban night riding it was all over the place. On and off at random times and not on when I needed it. 

Best to just use manual light on/off for now. 

I have also been playing with the accel/brake assist which I am convinced gives a floaty type tilt forward or back to assist the leaning.

At 100 it is very noticeable, some may like it some may hate it. 

also I think at 100 the assist tilts the light angle more, possibly shifting it into peoples eyes when braking at 100. 

Only a very quick roll with the light on to test 

• Upvote 1

Has anyone else had issues adjusting the speed limit on the  v13?  Adjusting the speed slider on the inmotion app didn't work for me. The display on tbe wheel allows me to bring the speed limit up to 60kmh.

How do I get access to the full speed capabilities of this wheel?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sugar_Jesus said:

Has anyone else had issues adjusting the speed limit on the  v13?  Adjusting the speed slider on the inmotion app didn't work for me. The display on tbe wheel allows me to bring the speed limit up to 60kmh.

In the phone app it says you need to first ride a few (~60) kilometers before it allows you to set it to 90.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Sugar_Jesus said:

Also, apparently the V13 reduces the allowed max speed when the pedals are set to soft. Make the pedals harder to (maybe) get higher top speed options. Worth trying to see if it changes anything.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sugar_Jesus said:

I assume you’ve seen F&B’s video where his v13 “goes it’s own way” into the wall at speed….jury is still out on root cause.

I’ve read some theories on it, but it def. warrants caution.

Best, and keep that rubber side down.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sugar_Jesus said:

Has anyone else had issues adjusting the speed limit on the  v13?

How many km do you have on the wheel so far?  There are three distance/speed unlock levels.  To ensure the rider and the wheel have had time to break in before going too fast.

• Upvote 1

the speed unlock was buggy for me, and i’m seeing a few others have the same issue. 

I also had trouble straight up.

I had to ride 30km, then i had to stuff around a bit.

I can’t quite remember but it wasn’t straight forward.

I think after it wouldn’t let me (greyed out maybe) 

i turned my phone bluetooth off (iphone 13)

Then back on,

reconnected the wheel. 

(no luck) 

Then made the app disconnect the wheel by tapping on upper left where it says connected 

then powered the wheel off and on.

Then spun around and clapped 3 times 

something like that 

LIGHTS 

- last night on a city commute my light pissed everyone off. 

It was kind of amusing to me and my mate for a while, then he looked at it and also started to get angry at me.

It is pretty full on! Great!! but too much for bike paths and city at night.

The ring light is not sufficient.

The auto light is not working well either I could’t use it. 

I messaged IM about it, a brightness setting would be ideal.

A light hood would also help, my hand worked to help. 

On 2/18/2023 at 10:45 PM, HEC said:

It's a bit hard to see from your image. What about this (apologies for my crude drawing):

Measure A, B, C and calculate the Alpha angle (C need to be at the "edge", not to the top of the rounded head).

SmartSelect_20230219-044233_Samsung Notes.jpg

((B+a)/2)*c

For angle you could do (A/B) * (x/(x-c)) add this to angle side c and then solve for trig properties of for the angle side angle side from side side side

6 hours ago, Phytoalchemist8 said:

Just bought a v13 and waiting on it to come in...so stoked...but ive been worried about the novelty and how likely it is someone could steal it... does inmotion allow you to password protect the v13?

Yes, you can set a numeric passcode. But, I found you can easily bypass that if you connect to it via bluetooth: I.e. you have the passcode screen on the wheel, just connect the phone app to the wheel and tap the unlock button in the app, the wheel will start balancing.

Maybe this is intended behaviour for the owner of the wheel, I don't know whether the above works with some random unknown dude and his inmotion app.

Edited by mlau

On 3/20/2023 at 11:03 PM, mlau said:

Yes, you can set a numeric passcode. But, I found you can easily bypass that if you connect to it via bluetooth: I.e. you have the passcode screen on the wheel, just connect the phone app to the wheel and tap the unlock button in the app, the wheel will start balancing.

Maybe this is intended behaviour for the owner of the wheel, I don't know whether the above works with some random unknown dude and his inmotion app.

ownership.. yes.. should not work with any random dude with the inmotion app.

• Upvote 1

V13 Motor Bolts issue - What are the signs/warnings and what to do

Disclaimer: I don't ride a V13. During a group ride, I witnessed the signs of initial bolt crack and what happened as we continued the group ride.

1. If you have old bolts still on and have the new replacement bolts, change it out as soon as you can.

2. The initial first sign/warning... going over a crack or bump on the road, the V13 starts shaking and loud grinding noise... then sound stops.

3. Do not continue the ride, additional bolts will crack. If you need to ride back, you can do it. The cost is removing one or more bolts without the head.

4. When 3 of the 4 bolts are cracked, the wheel will shake and rumble without even riding on it. (Wheel powered "on" and just standing there, the wheel will shake and rumble loud).

It is the same symptom as when a pedal hanger is loose from the axle. Hope this information helps. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/24/2023 at 3:51 AM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

V13 axle bolt size

M6x20mm (90°) flat head

head diameter no more than 11mm

Torque spec 18Nm

Replacement video:https://youtu.be/9W4MI1iS17w

Tool list:

- Philips screwdriver: for the panels

- Metric M3 bit: trolley handle, damper cover screws, top-cover side bolts, damper bolts 

- Metric M4 bit: front/rear handle, motor phase wires

- Metric M5 bit, for the replacement motor bolts. If you have a torque wrench, these need to be tightened down to 18Nm/13.3ft-lb for force

- 21mm socket: for the bottom end suspension caps 

image.png.7d8ab9ddc113952ca5b8ec9f8537de0a.png

Additional notes:

1) Please ensure that the motor orientation is reinstalled in this position: blue wire & hall cables on the left side. 

image.png.c5baf71cfc5fce5a5a31c9a185b05c0e.png

2) There are 2x lock washers that need to be reinstalled on the suspension shocks, left-rear & front-right

image.png.831b1264dd5fb979f223afe5d66d2dd4.png

3) The M3 damper bolts have small washers on them as well, see below

image.png.0865fbfa4eff35b488d0ae302190f9e8.png

Additionally, Inmotion recommends *not* using a screwdriver for adjusting the rebound screw, owing to the risk of breaking the thin metal shaft.

IM V13 Rebound Shock Adjustment.mp4

Courtesy of Jason @ Ewheels for the detailed information,thank you

Hey, this information desperately needs an update to include the info that in the video they skip the step of removing the suspension caps and suspension. I followed the video guide to a tee and damaged my suspension in the process because the removed bolt bent in the side wall of the suspension. EWheels made a small note of this in their email but it’s INCREDIBLY important because the repair will damage your parts otherwise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 10:05 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Power button issue

Apparently some v13's have a problem with a lack of waterproofing on the back side of the power button/display board. Since it is on the top of the machine and sitting in a recessed section of the top cover, moisture can collect on the underside and if it is not waterproofed, it can corrode and short resulting in an issue powering the unit on and off. To remove this board, the top cover need to be removed and unplugged from the headlight and taillight as well as the controller. (always disconnect the batteries before doing this and power on to drain the caps.) Then remove the 4 screws on the back side and push the board out through the front from one or several of the screw holes. Be careful not to dislodge the black wire from the cover. Below are examples of what the board looks like, one doesn't have the waterproofing.

v13-power-button-issue.jpgv13-power-button-2.jpg

Think I have this issue, bringing back the v13 to my local dealer but don’t know what solution he will suggest.. Repair or send the wheel back to Inmotion.. 😭

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 10:05 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Power button issue

Apparently some v13's have a problem with a lack of waterproofing on .......... one doesn't have the waterproofing.

To me, neither of these have "waterproofing".  The latter looks just like what a lazy handyman does when the customer has complaints about water ingress at newly installed windows...   no proper seals, just smear copious amounts of silicone all over the place and hope for the best.

Annotation 2023-04-14 094323.jpg

3 hours ago, Robse said:

To me, neither of these have "waterproofing".

The silicone poorly smeared on the board is additional waterproofing. The issue has to do with the circled portion of the board. That part of the board is only susceptible to moisture in the air, not splashing water because it sits down inside a channel in the cover with a gasket around the edge.  I agree, the silicone is done poorly but i don't feel it is even necessary. The board itself has a hot glue type coating over all the electronics on the back side like the tail light board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicodev said:

Think I have this issue, bringing back the v13 to my local dealer but don’t know what solution he will suggest

What are the symptoms? We have had other "power button" issues that have been the result of a loose plug into the tail light board thus engaging the "spin kill" so the wheel wont balance and won't turn off.

39 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

The silicone poorly smeared on the board is additional waterproofing. The issue has to do with the circled portion of the board. That part of the board is only susceptible to moisture in the air, not splashing water because it sits down inside a channel in the cover with a gasket around the edge.  I agree, the silicone is done poorly but i don't feel it is even necessary. The board itself has a hot glue type coating over all the electronics on the back side like the tail light board.

ok 🙂 that's better 👍

• Like 1