Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

In the low speed euc injury video, it looks to me like the new rider doesn't has previous experience skateboarding, roller skating, or ice skating. He lost balance and was tilting to his right. He should have pushed off with his right foot to regain balance. But instead he placed his body weight on both legs.

17 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Talking of which, you falling off again already ?! What's causing that ? :)

Went for my first big ride yesterday in the V13.  After about mile 5 I noticed it felt a little too wide where the Clark number seat hits my knees.  So I was widening my stance on the pedals and then noticed how much more maneuverable and responsive the wheel feels when there’s more side to side leverage from the pedals and space between the leg and the wheel.  I was doing small sharp curves for a few miles and felt that I didn’t have enough control with the wide stance.  Went back to my normal foot placement for two miles and at mile seven started feeling the soreness from the seat pushing out on my hips.  So I went back to the wide stance.  Was playing with the easy carving again on a narrow path next to a concrete 4’ high medium and with the easy more leverage reaction of the wheel when I over carved right into that medium.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

What do we think about these, which I am considering ?

image.thumb.png.4d84e1614763f746e67e52da0e65c535.png

I'm guessing I don't 'kneed' the knee protectors if I have Leatts so would be mainly getting them for rip resistance / road-rash avoidance, hip padding and reflectives.

and waterproofing!

I don't bother with the Leatts when wearing my moto overpaints, the CE2 knee I have in them is better than the Leatts and the Cordura should deal with abrasion. Besides, they don't fit over and certainly don't fit under!

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Brahan Seer said:

You get what you pay for but I'm afraid these look terrible. Vlog below is same make RXL. Don't skimp on gear!  Looks borderline fake. Try 

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/action-pro-unisex-trousers/

Uh oh ! Too late ! I guess I will keep the packaging in case I have to send them back. Reviews on Amazon seemed consistently pretty good though.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

in case I have to send them back.

Other than looking you can test out how effective they are by standing up and dropping straight onto your knees. If it hurts they are rubbish but if they don't maybe they are ok.*

* You do this at your own risk and the author takes no responsibility to any injury caused by the advice given above.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Other than looking you can test out how effective they are by standing up and dropping straight onto your knees. If it hurts they are rubbish but if they don't maybe they are ok.*

* You do this at your own risk and the author takes no responsibility to any injury caused by the advice given above.

Yep, that was how I tested the Leatts ! It's the hip padding I want most, and the anti-rip qualities. It will be interesting to see what turns up and if it matches the picture / description / size better than his did, or if they have learned nothing since that was published :) I will report my findings !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

image.thumb.png.4d84e1614763f746e67e52da0e65c535.png

The hip protection pads will be thin.

The internal sleeve/pocket in which they are placed in.....will likely be covering the upper thigh sides, and not the hip bone.

Might need to use CE level 2 knee pads to protect the hip bones.

The knee pads supplied, might be CE level 1. 

There should be molded writing on the pads to denote what standards, if any, they are.

https://www.motorcycleforum.com/threads/abrasion-chart.100827/

Extracts from a motorcycle forum. 

Sources for information were not quoted.

This is how quickly some materials take to hole:
Material Seconds
Denim 0.2 to 0.5
Some race gloves 0.6
Most leather gloves 1.0 to 1.8
Keprotec stretch material 0.9
Poor Kevlar 1.0
Two layers of waxed cotton 1.3
1.3mm thick cow hide 3.8
Two layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide 18
Three layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide 55
Two layers of Kevlar plain weave 5.6
Suede 18
Boot leather (generally 2.2mm thick) 20
Leather stretch panels 20.4

"Finally, protection from road abrasion cannot be guaranteed by a
materials abrasion resistance alone. A jacket may have panels of
highly abrasion-resistant materials, yet if low-quality stitching joins
those panels and the seams come apart upon impact or during a slide, then
the abrasion resistance of the panels could count for nothing.
Furthermore, an ill-fitting garment may ride up in a slide, contorting
the body and exposing the skin. And the best jacket in the world, left
unzipped and/or unsnapped, won't give riders the protection they pay
for. When it comes to safety, the issues are more complex than just the
abrasion resistance of materials."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting about the 'holing' times !

I don't think I can do leather except in the very coldest months, so that's off the table for me really. I am putting my faith in lots of layers, and strapping to keep things where they should be in the event of a fall. I have full winter thermals on under skin-tight jeans at the moment, with leatts dual axis on top of those. Up top I've got a padded thermal jacket under Leatt Bodysuit then another coat over the top of that, so I do feel quite well layered up. My hope is that if I can replace those outermost layers with anti abrasion stuff, and keep it in place with the various wrist straps and backpack straps I'm fairly confident no skin is ever going to be exposed unless the material itself rips.

Came very close to testing that theory up high on the hills today; came fast round a corner on the crest of a hill, and got sideswiped by some vicious gusting cross-wind that nearly took me out then and there ! Fortunately the emergency twisty hips, and heavy sinking crouch saved me, and my surfaces remain un-ripped, and my Master un-fallen-from so far !!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Pricey and overkill for most people. Nice style, however. If you can wear them as an outergarmarment and pull it off without being too revealing or creepy-looking it might be OK. I wear my basic DU shorts in hot weather that way. Wearing protective shorts under pants or regular shorts is hot, cumbersome, time-consuming, and a bit of a hassle.

Edit: I recall that wearing lycra bike shorts has been banned at some restaurants, pubs and cafes in NZ over the past several years.

Edited by litewave
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

I'm actually looking at these as well. I would wear them under my shorts in the summer time. My usual sweat/basketball shorts I wear do nothing for protection :lol:

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2

i wear these under coveralls. the demon are shorter and seem to protect my hip bone better.

actually, except for the wristguards, gloves and helmet, i could wear all protection under my coveralls and u would never know. 

except for the knee/shin protectors, which i wore outside the coveralls, i wore everything else under the coveralls. the knee/shin protectors would fit underneath as well.

https://www.motocard.com/en/protections/leatt-impact_shorts_3df_50.aspx

https://demon-united.com/products/zero-rf-unisex-shorts

https://www.motocard.com/en/protections/leatt-z_frame_right_left_2022_black.aspx

https://www.motocard.com/en/protections/leatt-65_body_protector_2021_graphene.aspx

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

i rate the 3df stuff well, i have the body armour and it’s held up very well.

Really comfy and lightweight and firms up those flabby areas well… i might need the shorts I think, tight tight ones. 

Agreed, I have a bunch of Leatt body armour pieces and this one should be about the same great quality as the others.

• Like 3

OK, the Cordura MC trousers have arrived ! They are comically large for me, despite being 30 inch waist and 32 inch leg and 'S' size. They do fit at the waist, thanks to the elastic straps there but that is where the good fitting ends. Under that we have 2 enormous 'pantaloon style' proprtions, hip guards that are slightly too low, as @Paul A predicted, but knee pads that are nothing LIKE in the right place - waaay too low ! :) I also don't like that they are designed to be massively flappy at the bottom, like 70s bell bottoms, and wide all the way down the leg so they fit over the top of Leatts and Boots. So all that is going against them, and they are the polar opposite of the sort of trousers I like wearing...

However...

Quite a lot of things in their favour too.

The cordura material does look and feel very durable, and the trousers as whole do appear to be waterproof ! All the zips are covered in velcro flaps, the stitching seems reasonable throughout, though perhaps less so on the inside and they do look considerably more robust than a regular pair of jeans. Tomorrow I will find out if I can strap them down, and make them less comically large, and get them on under my leatts and boots, if I can make that work I may yet keep them (misaligned knee pads removed) - their weatherproof and warm comfy quilted lining will make them quite attractive in Winter especially. If I do keep them I suspect their use will be ONLY in Winter as they are going to be too big and heavy and hassle for Summer rides. Honestly, you sort of climb into them like you would salopettes, rather than putting on trousers ! They could easily go over the top of regular trousers they are so baggy and roomy ! I really hate that. I like figure hugging stuff, and I own the thin-ness !.

So, what to do for the rest of the year ? I like epically tight jeans, and have legs as thin as that bloke off Crystal Maze in the 80s, so my options aren't huge if I want more durable versions of those (the jeans, not the legs!). I have manged to find these Cordura skinny fit jeans however ! So I will be trying those next.

image.thumb.png.db1b646e47c68776ee057befe4edd002.pnghttps://www.swrve.co.uk/products/cordura-skinny-fit-jean

And possibly some of these.

image.png.e0605fd35af4e9d392b31c68780e626b.png

Edited by Cerbera