Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

The external bleeding from the head suffered by Leucifer would not be surprising.

Any cut to the head will bleed profusely.

Might be superficial, just looks alarming.

There is a lot of blood flow to the head.....approximately 20% of blood pumped from heart.

The major concern would be internal bleeding.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Robse said:

Is this cool or not?

It's quite cool. Needs more chrome visor tho ;)

I'm going with Dawn's ADX-1 I reckon, which I think I can get viridium tint visors for, but even if not, they have aviator style drop-down sun-visor inside the clear one, which I'd be happy with.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

It's quite cool. Needs more chrome visor tho ;)

It's inside the helmet, you "flip it down" by the black lever on the left side.  And also pinlock , no fogging in cold weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Look at the head positioning of a down hill long board skater.

The rider tucks his chin in to stream line aerodynamics.

The top of the head is facing into the direction of travel.

The visor needs to be large, allowing for vision up near the forehead.

The design of the TSG Pass Pro is for long boarding.

Less coverage for the forehead might mean a frontal impact force is not absorbed/dissipated as much.

A helmet designed for long board skating......has been repurposed and used by EUC riders, because of its 'cool looks'?

Really?

Do you own either or did you read the TSG Pass manual? If not, you can refer to the manual excerpt and post below.

As for what the Pass was designed for, it appears to be marketed to the skateboard (including longboard) as well as the MTB community. It is downhill-rated.

From the Manual: "INTENDED USE: The Pass helmet with visor is intended for downhill skateboarding or downhill biking use only."

Lots of longboard riders ride on mountain roads where there are huge, jagged boulders (like on Mt. Ruapehu in NZ), guardrails, and cars. See the second post below for a video of a rider in moderate traffic on a Colombian highway.

Edited by litewave

43 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

ADX-1

Nice looking helmet, and ECE rated too.

Internal sun visor of a helmet is very useful.

Modular helmets make it so much easier to drink, eat, talk etc.

Just need some new LEDs to go with it too now.

• Upvote 1

Just in case anyone else planning a helmet upgrade is wondering, what are the differences between Scorpion ADX-1 and its successor the ADX-2 ?

Well apart from about £30 price difference the 2 is much more roundy and less angular, has the sun shade slider in a different place, has a neck-hugging circlet of material to stop the breeze blowing up there, and the internal padding is a different, higher quality, nicer feeling material, and extends out from the face less. Oh, and the 2 has a PNJ lock which locks the main visor open so it is legal to ride in that position (unlike the ADX-1), which I would use, certainly in the Summer months.

Here's some guys discussing all that.

I quite like the look of the ADX-1, preferring it's more 'techy' angles, but I suspect the 2 does have some rather improved features in other areas, so may get that, depending on what sizes are available.

Only a very few dealers in the UK seem to stock Scorpion stuff, so probably won't get a chance to try on before ordering...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Josiah said:

TSG Pass Pro failure

As Reported on by a few others on the forum first by @OldFartRides in the video thread and then by @Cerbera in a much needed, new thread TSG Pass Fail.  Here’s a re post for redundancy.  With such a popular helmet within the EUC community some decisions will need to be made.

Looks like the helmet might not be up to the task for high speed crash.  Exactly what @The Brahan Seerwas pointing out.  Which is surprising because downhill seems to be equally high speed and plenty of granite or tree obstacles to avoid.  Level of hazard in my opinion is on par with street riding.  Minus the cars that could run you over if your laying unconscious in the street.  

Remember that unless the rider hits a curb or something fixed on the road, the maximum speed his head can hit the asphalt with is exactly the same as if he had fallen forward from a stationary position. Afterwards comes the helmet's protection against other injuries that come from friction between the head and asphalt while the speed slows down to zero. That a helmet can fail so much with a "simple" fall - tells something about the lack of safety this helmet gives the wearer.  I have never owned a TSG helmet myself, and fortunately only had the pleasure of looking at it, holding it in my hand, and marveling at the extremely thin and flimsy construction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

How can that happen?

It can happen because I changed the quote to show the relevance, and knew there was no need to waste thread space quoting the actual post again !

I often do that - if someone has just done 5000 words on helmet advice, for example, and I want to comment overall, then I think it's better and neater to do the quote, then replace all the text with 'helmet advice', and go from there... If I don't do that, then the thread gets over-busy with endless (albeit truncated) repeats of the same thing, sometimes including giant video thumbnails, which actually makes scrolling through the thread to the info you are looking for more protracted and time-consuming, so I seek to avoid it when quoting.

When I want to respond to a single line within a quote, then the current system of selecting that line, and then using the quote pop-up works much better, and I can do it verbatim, and just add to that point.

Edited by Cerbera

On 2/5/2023 at 3:46 PM, Robse said:

Remember that unless the rider hits a curb or something fixed on the road, the maximum speed his head can hit the asphalt with is exactly the same as if he had fallen forward from a stationary position.

Not necessarily true for electric wheel riders going at high speeds.

The riders horizontal momentum will be converted into angular momentum when the rider's feet land on the ground and not slide freely. His upper body will continue at the same speed as when he fell off, but his feet would be slowed down by the ground. This angular momentum will convert to a much greater force when the helmet strikes the ground. For riders of 40+mph capable electric wheels and do to ride fast, these riders should seriously consider getting a motorcycle helmet.

The rider who was wearing a TSG helmet at the time of the accident was only riding a Hero. With more wheels such the Sherman-S, V13, Master, Master Pro, EX30 out in the wild, all capable of very high speeds, there is a higher chance that more riders will suffer serious head injuries. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

On 2/6/2023 at 1:27 AM, Cerbera said:

Just in case anyone else planning a helmet upgrade is wondering, what are the differences between Scorpion ADX-1 and its successor the ADX-2 ?

Most importantly ADX-1 is an ECE 22.05 helmet and ADX-2 is an ECE 22.06 helmet. We are in the middle of transfer period to the new safety standard. From 3.1.2024 only ECE 22.06 helmets are allowed to be sold in the EU for mororcycles.

Edited by Eucner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Josiah said:

0E1E1736-6BD6-4BD0-B246-23441CD6F042.thumb.jpeg.2c49771b98e89354f41b1598bc11d58a.jpeg

cracked visor ring and a few scrapes.  I’m going to have this put in an mri to check for micro fractures.  JK.  I know I should replace but for now I’ll get this and maybe save up for #2

Glad you survived and got back on your wheel the next day. Hoo-ah!

I'm still amazed/amused that you bought the V13 for your first wheel at your size. Very studly.

The shell on the recent versions of the Pass Pro is fiberglass so I doubt it has any fractures.

You can sand it down a bit to get rid of the scratches, and maybe have it wrapped in some cool design.

A lightmode kit will probably cover a lot of the nicks as well.

Edited by litewave
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Josiah said:

@litewave Thanks.  Hsiang talked me into the V13 with he’s initial release video back in October.  I did get the light more kit!   Good to know about the fiberglass.

I'm sure I'll be skewered for saying that. Just don't take a belt sander to it. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2