Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

93D5824C-6899-48C3-9ECF-C61DB422812F.jpeg.46306f58a54788a32faca4fabc62892f.jpeg
To avoid this being my next selfie I figured to get some advice.

So many choices with protective gear.   I could use some direction. 

Maybe two general setups would be a good starting point.  

Soft riding setup (less intimidating to pedestrians for slow rides on bike/ walking paths)

Hard riding setup (street riding)

Thanks!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Hard riding setup (street riding)

MC (Touring) Boots or similar, knee / shin guards / Body armour suit / Wrist Braces / Full-face Helmet / Leather Gloves

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

less intimidating to pedestrians 

As above, but with coat on top !

I like my Leatt kit, so have that in most places - notably Dual axis knee / shin guards, and the full 5.5 bodysuit, which is awesome. Helmet for me is TSG Pass Pro, and wrist braces are NOT Leatt (who's wrist guards are expensive, unhelpful for EUC) but those cheap skateboard ones that have a solid plastic plate covering most of the palm, which we need for sliding about on the tarmac :)

image.thumb.png.254e1800d12ea86f75e38b74c0b52253.png

Some wrist guards, yesterday, suitable for sliding about on the tarmac.

If you do get those, I recommend getting a size or 2 larger than you need so you can get gloves under them.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Cerbera

Wow I like the full body suit idea!  
Here’s what I was thinking. 
I know full face helmet is better but speaking of tarmac, I was a paratrooper and we only wore half helmets and that’s a hazardous occupation.  So I figured I might wear a half helmet for euc too.  The five points of contact in a PLF don’t include landing on your chin.  

C19A2A31-CD76-4565-A9C6-1D0369E20D86.thumb.jpeg.7038ad3371d0e1446e1979b06fd3d7ab.jpeg0440BF26-5830-4BE9-BA14-E6F267DFDC2B.thumb.jpeg.b708f9f2e3e25c6375260d473680a123.jpeg840B6FD4-7A3A-4A38-9A47-422D7B2D6F8C.thumb.jpeg.6e7127df506b6e4703d0bf5a1f79b16a.jpeg775538E5-07BB-49FB-8D71-DD1A1331228D.thumb.jpeg.d9d4c7cab334e9b3c34ad067502c6316.jpeg4287A353-EF6D-4624-BB3E-873C336E3B29.thumb.jpeg.83eb0653f3572869dea8053a5faaeb35.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

First off, all the gear must fit properly, and you must get used to wearing it.

For 'soft' riding (picking up trash on the MTen3) I usually don't bother with the chest protector and sometimes will remove the chin guard on my Bell Super DH, but the rest of the gear is the same.

Cheap wrist guards (those ones @Cerbera linked). Leatt dual axis knees. In summer I wear moto jeans with L2 hip, L1 knee and an L2 tailbone protector (Leatts on top). In winter, I wear moto overpants with L2 hip, knees and the same tailbone protector, no Leatts. Top is a mesh moto jacket with L2 elbow, shoulder and back protector, a wind/waterproof liner goes inside it when it's cold or wet. Chest protector is my only L1 armor. Cold/wet weather lid is an HTC i90, normal lid is the Bell Super DH with the chin guard attached. Sometimes I'll wear flexmeter wrist guards, but not often. Feet and ankles are in touring moto boots.

Why this kit? Easy on, easy off. I'm no longer a spring chicken and am probably easily broken, so I don't mind padding everywhere and can attest that it does work… having it all basically built in makes gearing up and down reasonably quick. The stuff is heavy though, my riding gear adds more than 25 pounds… without a backpack. But I put up with it because I don't want to risk road rash and broken parts. I ride off road, so by definition I crash a lot. As it turns out, raspberry bushes are a great place to land—if you're covered by 600D.

The only injury serious enough to keep me off the wheel was suffered when I was learning, wearing skater gear. A twisted ankle at 0 mph taught me an important lesson... if you want to keep riding this thing, buy the proper gear. And wear it. every. single. time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Wow I like the full body suit idea!  
Here’s what I was thinking. 
I know full face helmet is better but speaking of tarmac, I was a paratrooper and we only wore half helmets and that’s a hazardous occupation.  So I figured I might wear a half helmet for euc too.  The five points of contact in a PLF don’t include landing on your chin.  

I can tell you first-hand that a PLF and face plant are not even comparable. I have a 1" scar on the bottom of my chin that occurred from just a slow speed stumble (noob crash first two months) that a great helmet like the TSG would have prevented (I bought one a year later).

Personally, I would buy the Demon double-sided Flexmeters. There's a reason why they have a huge market share in the EUC community. They are very effective, and Demon has an excellent warranty. You should be able to find them on sale or get a 15% coupon with free shipping. Demon also makes over gloves for the wristguards, as well as integrated Flexmeter snow gloves that may be of interest to you, since you live in Boulder. I have all three, but would recommend the over gloves since they are warmer (when wearing layered thin gloves under the Flexmeters), much less expensive and more practical.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

Much better. Just add the Dual Axis Leatts, and you're perfect :)

Don't worry about the storm trooper thing. It gets you 'hushed awe' from spectators, and means cars respect you and let you pass at crossings ! I've added lasers to my setup so now I get hushed awe AND audible gasps of wonder ! Some bafflement from OAPs admittedly. ;)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

Good man :) The only criticism you will hear levelled at those Dual-axis jobs is that they can slip in a crash; however, if you cross the lower 2 bands into an X formation so they are a bit tighter you can totally eliminate that threat.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

I second the Leatt Dual Axis knee guards. They are also very popular in the community.

As for the Leatt body protector, since you are getting a V13 muscle wheel, I guess it makes sense, especially if you eventually start riding on roads at higher speeds. Their gear, with exception of the kneeguards, is very pricey, however. Otherwise, a lightweight motorcycle jacket with integrated pads should suffice, especially for your climate almost year-round. Troy Lee also makes motocross/mountainbike body protection gear, as well as Demon for snow and MTB, which looks sexy. You can also check Zeitbike.com for TSG as well as eevees for good deals. 

Too bad the TSG Pass is no longer manufactured in white: a set of white Leatt Dual-axis, white TSG Pass, and white chest protector would definitely complete the Stormtrooper look.

Edit: Get the L/XL Leatt kneeguards, unless you are very large (for ex.,> 230 6'3") or slim/small build (< 115 5'2").

2023 TSG Pass Pro collection:

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 23.48.42.png

Edited by litewave
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, litewave said:

Too bad the TSG Pass is no longer manufactured in white:

Lols - I looked SO hard for that helmet in white - really wanted the 'Stormtrooper moonlighting in Daft Punk' look :) 

If it wasn't for my immently arriving Lightmode nightshift pack (which looks absolutely epic on black) I'd re-spray it !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Lols - I looked SO hard for that helmet in white - really wanted the 'Stormtrooper moonlighting in Daft Punk' look :) 

If it wasn't for my immently arriving Lightmode nightshift pack (which looks absolutely epic on black) I'd re-spray it !

Please post pics and video when you get installed!

22 hours ago, Cerbera said:

5. The shoes look comfortable too, and do cover your vulnerable ankles, which is something, but I want leather higher up than that - at least up to where the shin guards start. Also, if you do rain riding at all then water splashes high, and higher boots help in that regard too, as well as with keeping your feet warmer in Winter. They also tend to have dedicated ankle reinforcement. Definitely no need to go as far as MX boots though - even though they are the best ankle protection available, they have unhelpful metal bars running through them, and are way too unflexible for our sort of action - so if you are looking at MC boots, then the the more flexible, comfortable touring ones are nice and cheap and do a lovely job.

Thanks Cerbera for all the insight!

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mtl said:

Maybe consider some higher-visibility touches as all the gear being linked here is blacked out.

Great Point mtl.  Black is the opposite of visible at night.  So sad because I love the look.

Maybe Cerbera’s helmet light kit can mitigate that.  

E029D609-6069-4494-B383-D0E84C680AE2.jpeg.4c5ca7525bc911bd7076140a4dc7f64e.jpeg

Edited by Josiah

Yeah that Lightkit will certainly get you noticed, possibly too much I worry latterly ;)

But yes, that is the main reason I went with black and white on both me and the wheel - so I could be seen by pedestrians and drivers.

And that goes right down to my skeleton gloves (not just for Halloween), which are exceptionally clear for giving elaborate hand signals when you are directing people, and signalling to them what you are going to do.

But if you are doing the ALL the blacks there is a lot of peripheral lighting kit you can get for your bodywear - rear red lights, various illuminated or reflective armbands - that sort of thing, and of course you can put those lights on your helmet instead of or as well as any light kit you invest in... and don't forget at night you have the lights of the wheel which most drivers will find hard to miss.

But just in case they do I added lasers to my Master, and some high glow reds around the body of the wheel, which illuminate the whites in my armour in a very Star Wars-y kinda glow from underneath :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

These look good for the Denver snow as per Lightwave’s suggestion to go over the wrist guards.

B5835917-D6BD-43E2-92F0-0D61B8E59423.thumb.jpeg.65859eaa7572e0684a0496b47d0b10a5.jpeg

Any thoughts on the shoes?

A3FCDAA9-1806-4D10-86CA-818B6AF19DC5.thumb.jpeg.19121cbd721de5347de3e08217fc8728.jpeg

Style 1: The Demon Over Gloves ($39.99 MSRP) fit over (ie, worn on top of) regular double-sided Flexmeters. This is the style I prefer and recommend, based on effectiveness, value and versatility.

Style 2: The Demon Flexmeter Double Sided Wrist Guard Gloves ($119.95 MSRP) already have double-sided Flexmeters sewn into the actual gloves. However, they cannot be cinched as tight as regular flexmeters and do not fit as snug. These gloves are bulky and do not keep your fingers as warm.

You are calling Style 2 "over gloves" but they are not.

Again, I have both, and l like the over gloves (Style 1) better. They are ~$80 less and keep your hands warmer *if* you wear layered thin gloves under the regular Flexmeters with the overgloves on top.

Edited by litewave
updated link for "layered thin gloves"
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, litewave said:

Style 1: The Demon Over Gloves ($39.99 MSRP) fit over (ie, worn on top of) regular double-sided Flexmeters. This is the style I prefer and recommend, based on effectiveness, value and versatility.

Style 2: The Demon Flexmeter Double Sided Wrist Guard Gloves ($119.95 MSRP) already have double-sided Flexmeters sewn into the actual gloves. However, they cannot be cinched as tight as regular flexmeters and do not fit as snug. These gloves are bulky and do not keep your fingers as warm.

You are calling Style 2 "over gloves" but they are not.

Again, I have both, and l like the over gloves (Style 1) better. They are ~$80 less and keep your hands warmer *if* you wear layered thin gloves under the regular Flexmeters with the overgloves on top.

Got it thanks again!  I’ll get the Style 1

In summer are the wrist guards protection enough without the over gloves?1E1BF743-E454-4788-803F-5A1BD9A11E46.thumb.jpeg.31dc192017038a3f0da09712eea2887e.jpeg

6 hours ago, Josiah said:

Got it thanks again!  I’ll get the Style 1

In summer are the wrist guards protection enough without the over gloves?1E1BF743-E454-4788-803F-5A1BD9A11E46.thumb.jpeg.31dc192017038a3f0da09712eea2887e.jpeg

Yes, wear the over gloves over  the Demon Flexmeter D3O Double Sided Wrist Guards (be sure to get the double-sided model) only when it is very cold, with thin, inexpensive nitrile and work gloves underneath the regular Flexmeters (see my linked post about this in my last response). This set-up will enable you to easily slide off the overgloves if you have to to use your phone briefly or to do something that requires manual dexterity. The overgloves keep the snow off your lower arms and out of the flexmeters, and also from getting into the sleeve of your jacket. They are light, not bulky, so if it warms up during the day you can take them off and stuff them into a backpack where they won't take up a lot of room, unlike the snow gloves with integrated Flexmeters that I own but don't recommend except for certain use cases.

If you have large-ish hands be sure to get large Demon Flexmeter D3O Double Sided Wrist Guards. If medium-normal, get the medium. I actually own both medium and large: I wear medium in the summer because they are nice and snug, and large to accommodate two layers of thin gloves under them in the winter. The thin gloves will also fit under the mediums but they stretch the fabric too much. The material will allow the flexmeters to expand but the material is also the main point of failure that can tear or develop holes after a year or more of heavy use. I have owned 7 pairs in the past 7 years, though I still have a few spares that are new. Btw, if you do develop any tears or holes, call Demon and ask for a replacement under their shred-proof warranty. They have always replaced any worn out gear for me during (and even a little past) the warranty period.

The Demon Flexmeter D3O Double Sided Wrist Guards currently list for $89.99 (when I first started buying them they were $49.99), but are typically available on sale for $74-79.99. You can check BackCountry.com, REI.com, Amazon of course, or just do a google.com/shopping search. Most of those sellers will charge sales tax and maybe shipping however. If you order direct from Demon, give them call in the morning between 10-12am before they get too busy. They are located in UT in MST, and they offer free shipping for a minimum order quantity (maybe $100) and do *not* charge sales tax. Ask them for a new customer discount - typically they will give you 15% off for being polite and respectful.

I also own/wear the Demon Hyper Knee X V3 D3O Knee guards and Demon Hyper X D3O Elbow guards over bare skin in the summer time. The Leatt Dual-Axis knee guards are not ideal for wearing with shorts and look a little goofy. The Knee guards are really snug and look cool, while reducing the body-armor excess. The elbow guards are necessary if you are not wearing a motorcycle jacket or body protector with integrated elbow guards. Both have D3O level II iirc. However, they have just introduced the next-gen V4 (at a slightly higher price) that would be worth considering. Finally, I also have a Demon lightweight upper body protector for cooler (but not cold) days: the Demon Flexforce Men's X D3O Top V2. They have newer models that offer more protection as well. 

• Thanks 1

Awesome!  Someone said “this gear is expensive,  but not compared to an ER Visit”. I’ll keep that in mind as the EW budget gets inflated.  Couldn’t find the exact quote to address reference but I think it’s in the above.  

Thanks for the tips to save a few % also.  That’s going to help.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1