Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wanted to chime in that I've been very happy with the Icon Slabtown boots:

SlabtownWPCEBootBlackFront.jpg?mtime=202

They are very sturdy without being too heavy, flat-bottomed, comfortable, and should offer good abrasion resistance. I bought them after breaking a toe while learning to ride in non-moto high-top sneakers. I don't know if the Slabtowns have a reinforced toe box but they are still much better than the shoes I was coming from. I was worried that they might not work well with spiked pedals since the treads don't have large gaps between them as hiking boots do, but they are gripping just fine on Nylonove pedals. I was lazy one day recently and wore my old sneakers and they just felt floppy and unsupportive, so now I plan to always wear the Slabtowns. It's winter where I live though, so I can't say whether they could get too hot in the summer.

I also tried on Forma Terra Evo Low boots but they were very heavy, bulky feeling, and stiff out of the box. In searching it also seemed like trials moto boots could be a good option since they seem to offer greater flexibility and many of them are flat-bottomed, but I couldn't find a "low" variety that wouldn't interfere with the Leatt dual-axis knee/shin guards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mtl said:

hat I've been very happy with the Icon Slabtown boots:

They look pretty decent and comfortable - only bit I would worry about is if there is enough ankle protection in those, though I suspect Nylonove pedals might be a bit less hostile on the ankles than the biggest metal pedals in a twisting fall...

I have also tried some big heavy trials boots (Leatt GPX), which were a disaster in my case. Although they had the best ankle / foot / toe protection I can possibly imagine, they were also ridiculously heavy, instrinsically unstable when walking, and had a big metal bar running through the soles that meant I was utterly isolated from the feel of the pedals, which led to the only fall I have ever had on my most recent wheel. Still trying to sell those ! So on the whole I would not recommend any MX boots for our wheels - we need a lot more flexibility than they can provide... though the specific ones you linked (trials moto boots) look like they could circumnavigate both those problems ! Wish I'd seen those before the GPX's !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

*CRASH ANALYSIS* Which shoes should EUC riders wear? Do you need ankle support? Random Safety Gear

17K subscribers

Jan 17, 2022

Nothing wrong with analyzing a crash that is made public.

Crash prevention and safety gear are important topics that don't get enough attention.

• Like 1

Yes I agree with him. I have touring MC boots, which are a nice compromise between 'flexible enough' and very good protection in all the key areas.

I like how they come right up to where the knee braces start.

image.thumb.png.9f51f7012de3a3ca7fa61a7e1d0f245f.png

Those ones do have some specific ankle padding, and are made of stiff, tough leather, but they don't quite deliver the unerring confidence I had with the GPX boots, although, as mentioned, they were a lot worse in other ways.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

I got Forma Terra Evo Lows, very comfortable, great ankle support and flexible enough. Not as flexible as my Merrill hiking boots (with elastic laces) but what I appreciate on a daily basis is their two buckle fastening. They're like ski boots—step in, buckle and go. They soles aren't quite as grippy as the Merrills, but in some respects that's fine too, given how frequently I need to get off the pedals "right this instant".

https://www.formabootsusa.com/products/terra-evo-low-brown

7 hours ago, Paul A said:

Protective gear seems to help.

EUC Veteran Sherman Cut out on 42MPH

AL5GRJWjgkSXJnPYl1tkpoe4WN2YOsZVZ92-wn9D
Sep 29, 2021

64 subscribers

Goodnight, there we go again.  Don't listen to the beeps, they are just something ment to disturb you :facepalm:   Protective gear helps, not to avoid stupidity, but to soften the consequences.

Edited by Robse
  • Like 1

So far I haven't worried about the shorts with thigh protection, but I've been thinking about it over the last week . . . 

On an unrelated note, my right side outer thigh:

6Rbz9Dg.jpg

And people say my pasty white skin lacks colour! There's plenty of colour on my skin!

Also unrelated: Careful not to clip a pedal when riding 40-50kph, you could take a nasty tumble.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

And people say my pasty white skin lacks colour! There's plenty of colour on my skin!

Ooh - nasty :/ I'm rather more skeletal than you, and I too have been thinking about the padded shorts - fairly sure my whole hip / thigh area is going to do very badly if I land on it.

What stops me so far is that I am trying to do protections without needing a whole new wardrobe, and I know for a fact that those padded shorts definitely won't fit under skinny fit black jeans, and might look vaguely preposterous if worn over the top, not that I will mind too much about that if it works in the protection department.

And yet, deep down I really know the jeans have to go at some point - they are of zero assistance when a dog is trying to hang off your calf (Leatts be damned), and they have no resistance at all to road rash or impact.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

So far I haven't worried about the shorts with thigh protection, but I've been thinking about it over the last week . . . 

On an unrelated note, my right side outer thigh:

6Rbz9Dg.jpg

Also unrelated: Careful not to clip a pedal when riding 40-50kph, you could take a nasty tumble.

That Left a Mark! merit badge award achieved! :smartass:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

And yet, deep down I really know the jeans have to go at some point

I use padded shorts when wearing shorts in the summer. The rest of the time I wear m/c trousers/jeans [Knox-Urban Pro]

I like motorcycle jeans/trousers because they are quick and easy to put on (rather than needing to put on padded shorts and knee pads) and has more abrasion resistance over the whole surface of your leg.

When getting gear make sure it fits tight. The padded shorts I have [Dainese E1 Armoured] are a medium but when they arrived I thought they were far too small but once you squeezed into them they are very comfortable and no fear of anything moving out of place either. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

Gear is not a panacea.

I don't get it.. :huh::confused1: What happened? Why did he try to put down feet while moving? Did he lose balance?

One should know if you place feet on ground while euc have enough speed. Other feet will keep following the EUC, if you don't lift it off the moment the feet touches the ground.. Duh.

I learned that the first day at riding. :D As i did the one legged "bunny hops" while euc stopped. I was putting my feet on the ground 2 fast.. Before stopping.

Edited by Funky

9 hours ago, Funky said:

What happened?

Think he swerved right to try and avoid debris on the ground.

He became unbalanced, the right foot stepped off onto the ground, the left foot kept traveling forward with the wheel.

The feet became separated by a lot, the legs spread out, he fell onto the ground very awkwardly.

He also tried to grab the wheel with his left hand as he was falling.

Click the 'wheel cog' icon at the bottom right of the YouTube screen, and set the playback speed to be a slow 0.25 of normal speed.

The fall starts from about time mark 1.08 minutes.

• Like 1

What do we think about these, which I am considering ?

image.thumb.png.4d84e1614763f746e67e52da0e65c535.png

I'm guessing I don't 'kneed' the knee protectors if I have Leatts so would be mainly getting them for rip resistance / road-rash avoidance, hip padding and reflectives.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Yep they look nice. And the reflectors look good too.  I took a spill today where my left hip met with the tarmac in an uncomfortable way.   I was thinking next ride I might where my mc pants.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Yep they look nice. And the reflectors look good too.  I took a spill today where my left hip met with the tarmac in an uncomfortable way.   I was thinking next ride I might where my mc pants.  

I agree - I have ordered them. Now just gotta avoid the 'sods law' fall that fate probably has in store for me before they arrive !

Talking of which, you falling off again already ?! What's causing that ? :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Think he swerved right to try and avoid debris on the ground.

He became unbalanced, the right foot stepped off onto the ground, the left foot kept traveling forward with the wheel.

The feet became separated by a lot, the legs spread out, he fell onto the ground very awkwardly.

He also tried to grab the wheel with his left hand as he was falling.

Click the 'wheel cog' icon at the bottom right of the YouTube screen, and set the playback speed to be a slow 0.25 of normal speed.

The fall starts from about time mark 1.08 minutes.

I didn't notice any debris.. That's why i was like WTF. (At least in my mind those where not debris.. I call debris only things that you can't literally ride over.) :D 

Rest of it i saw myself. Happened like you said.. Thanks narrator.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1