Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

And possibly some of these.

Around here 'those' are known as "the diaper". I had to buy fat pants to stuff my hip and tailbone protector into (summer they go inside, winter I wear moto overpants that have pockets for everything).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

waist, thanks to the elastic straps

Might be of concern.

The jacket and pants of a two piece, leather motorcycle suit, zip together around the waist.

This ensures that no clothing will move out of place upon impact and sliding on road.

Elastic straps might not hold pants securely in position.

Like gloves that do not have sliders, the material will grab the road, but the body inside will continue to move.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/19/2023 at 12:40 PM, Clem604 said:

I'm actually looking at these as well. I would wear them under my shorts in the summer time. My usual sweat/basketball shorts I wear do nothing for protection :lol:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-3df-50-impact-shorts?sku_id=1333928

Mine just arrived today, they seem pretty good under a pair of shorts. They should work just as well under a pair of long pants. They are long enough that they can be longer than a lot of shorts are, but my shorts are a similar length and the same colour, so they shouldn't look silly. They feel pretty comfortable, but I will have to go on a decent ride wearing them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Mine just arrived today

How does it work when you need to pop behind a bush for a quick watering of the foliage ? Are there helpful flaps, or is it shorts down time ?

• Haha 1

@Cerbera

That might not be the same as watering the plants.  Try this next time.  
18.1" Military Style Foldable E-Tool, Small Compact Lightweight Survival Shovel, Entrenching Tool for Off Road, Folding Spade Collapsible Shovel for Camping, Hiking, Digging, Backpacking, Gardening https://a.co/d/5dwIsT3

maybe these too

Combat Wipes ACTIVE Outdoor Wet Wipes - Extra Thick Camping Gear, Biodegradable, Body & Hand Cleansing/Refreshing Cloths for Backpacking & Gym w/ Natural Aloe & Vitamin E (25 Wipes) https://a.co/d/58wampp

Thieves Vitality Essential Oil by Young Living, 5 Milliliters, Dietary https://a.co/d/fxGyd91

Lemyn Organics Medical Grade Hand Sanitizer Gel - 97% ORGANIC - 12 FL.OZ. https://a.co/d/1uwQfCx

Edited by Josiah

Only once in my entire riding life have I ever needed a No.2 whilst out in the cross country way, and ever since that 1 deeply unpleasant 15 minutes a few years back, I have been factoring public toilets into my ride plans ever since ! Fortunately my local country park has toilet blocks at the top and bottom of the hill, not that I ever want to go in them unless I absolutely have to !! :) In fact TBH honest these days I almost always try and take a dump before leaving the house on a wheel if I know it's gonna be a long, remote one (the ride, not the dump) !

I appreciate the list of supplies and carriables, the wet wipes are definitely a winner in the No 2 situation, as well as if you come off the wheel at all and need to clean / patch yourself up for the ride home.

Intrigued by anything called Thieves' (sic) Vitality of course ! Had to look that up ! :)

Edited by Cerbera

On 2/6/2023 at 3:26 AM, litewave said:

That was a good video, but short on details/photos regarding the TSG Pass. Hopefully he (you?) will follow-up with more analysis about the helmet's failure in this crash. I would reach out to TSG corporate if I were him for some help figuring out why the helmet "failed". Judging by the video title frame, it looks like the shell is intact but the foam was inadequate to dissipate the impact forces.

I have the OG carbon-fiber helmet. When I purchased it in 2018, the US-distributor told me it was made to higher specifications. I brushed that off as possible marketing-speak but spent the extra $50 I paid (they were selling for roughly $100 more at MSRP at that time) because it looked much nicer and had easy-release cheek pads for crash removal. My crashes with the helmet were at lower speed than in the YT video, well before today's high-speed wheels were available.

it seems to be a common issue with tsg - easier just to avoid them and not recommend them 

• Sad 1

i use the TSG and it is very lightweight with minimal padding.

I also have the Leatt 7.5

and a couple of high end Shoei 

Both Leatt and Shoei have emergency release cheek pads to allow removal of helmet without straining the neck.

The Leatt and Shoei are much more of a helmet than TSG and both more suited to a good crash.

The Leatt is the heaviest of them and also needs goggles but a very solid helmet. 

I’m aiming to use my shoei’s on my V13 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

i use the TSG and it is very lightweight with minimal padding.

I also have the Leatt 7.5

and a couple of high end Shoei 

Both Leatt and Shoei have emergency release cheek pads to allow removal of helmet without straining the neck.

The Leatt and Shoei are much more of a helmet than TSG and both more suited to a good crash.

The Leatt is the heaviest of them and also needs goggles but a very solid helmet. 

I’m aiming to use my shoei’s on my V13 

The TSG Pass Pro [edit: carbon fiber, now discontinued] also have emergency release cheek pads.

Your orange TSG was only available in the may be the regular Pass model.

The only TSG Pass helmets being manufactured and sold nowadays are the fiberglass Pass Pro version and I thought they have this feature, though it is not explicitly mentioned on the product page.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Figured out the TSG cold weather freezing fog up issue.  Keep helmet on and visor down prior to going out doors 2-3 minutes.  Don’t open the visor out doors.  If the fog comes back breath heavily to thaw the inside of the visor to recover crystal clear vision.  Keep large hood over helmet to counter below freezing and wind chill. 

18 hours ago, Josiah said:

Looks worse than it feels.  Just a few pedal bonks.

Ah yes I remember that...

And to think I used to ride in flimsy little canvas baseball boots ! Yep, I smashed my ankle once the first time I did off-road on a little wheel, and then bought MC boots the very next day, and have never injured my ankles / legs since, despite a good few pedal bangs ! What can I tell ya - ATGATT !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

No to the first one, yes to the second one ! In fact those boots look very similar to my own. They have the key features we need, which are flexibility up the front, good ankle and shin coverage, tough toecaps (don't have to be steel though) and grippy base. Only thought might be that the soles look a bit thick, which may limit your feedback through the pedals somewhat, but it probably won't matter. As long as they don't have the MC / MX iron bar running through the soles, which seriously affects differences in heel and toes pressure, it'll probably be fine.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1