Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

6 minutes ago, Josiah said:

like this?

Well, if you were wearing them you wouldn't have those nice bruises to show us . . . 

Mine are black rather than brown and made by Gaerne. I didn't buy them, I already had them for the motorcycle and just thought "I could wear these".  I have lots of things that I can use for the motorcycle, e-MTB, e-scooter and any of my 3 e-wheels.

Currently I ride the motorcycle wearing these: https://www.amazon.com/Gaerne-G-Adventure-Boots-10-Black/dp/B004QRTKZY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1IEKUAUY8O524&keywords=gaerne+boots&qid=1677283472&sprefix=gaer%2Caps%2C351&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.304cacc1-b508-45fb-a37f-a2c47c48c32f but I have some older boots that I've used on the EUC that look more like these: https://www.amazon.com/Gaerne-Boot-G-Durban-11-2434-001-011/dp/B00T6J1HOY/ref=sr_1_14?crid=1IEKUAUY8O524&keywords=gaerne+boots&qid=1677283472&sprefix=gaer%2Caps%2C351&sr=8-14

I don't know how good the Workland boots are, but they are very cheap and the reviews don't look so great. Maybe for getting through the learning phase they would be OK. 

10 minutes ago, Josiah said:

All those wheels sound exciting, nice collection! 

852AB24B-0079-49E1-B10B-873114E01A7F.thumb.jpeg.91da95770fbe0ec65950669e6b526854.jpeg

Yes, I see what you mean, these look like there from Italy.  

Yep, get those - they look perfect ! And less brown than the others, which wins points in my book :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Tall enough to shield the shin from the pedal?

I wear Forma EVO Lows, they basically meet the bottom of my Leatts so shin is well guarded. Got them to try to avoid a twisted/broken ankle out in the woods, I figure that would really make for a very bad day. But the Merrill hiking boots work superbly, they just aren't quite high enough to protect the ankle.

21 minutes ago, bpong said:

if you are gearing up for high speed riding, ditch your euc and get any of the 1000cc sport bikes. 

I have a 1000cc bike, but I'm not so sure it would be welcomed on the shared paths by the pedestrians or cyclists. I suspect that the police wouldn't just drive passed when I'm riding the motorcycle on the footpaths, like they do when I'm on my Sherman S. For riding on the open road, the motorbike is the best - but there are many places I can ride my EUCs that I just can't ride the motorcycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

I suspect that the police wouldn't just drive passed when I'm riding the motorcycle on the footpaths,

I suspect that you would be riding in a paddy wagon to a holding cell in a police station for being involved in a domestic terrorist attack. 🙂

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Evitou Acidente de Monociclo! Sinalização para Bike e #euc

Feb 25, 2023

Nice gadget.  Selfie stick in one hand, Phone with critical wheel data on the other arm,  Mirror on opposite arm ) ,  Big gloves on both hands (for easy operation of the small buttons) , this remote in the third hand? ehhh... :P

• Like 1

I like that - really clear signalling, unlike most similar systems I see. I would have room for that on back of left or right hand (mirror on helmet, phone further up arm). In the future we may get customisable display panels that would allow us to do custom messages for people.

Several hand gesture-based signs spring immediately to mind ;)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Josiah said:

Tall enough to shield the shin from the pedal?

It rides above your ankle and covers your lower shin, your shin guards should cover the rest. Not bad in the summer either. Not as hot as you would imagine. If I'm low speed trail riding i will just wear those, some shorts and a t-shirt and a skate helmet. Also they are actually waterproof unlike some claim and i have some dr. shoals gel soles in them for added cushion.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
oops
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 12:16 PM, Cerbera said:

Downsides ?

Without meaning to sound mean. You have just removed the so called abrasion resistance from your trousers so essentially you now have an expensive pair of waterproofs with some dubious hip protection.

Please watch the following it might save you time, money and your legs...

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

You have just removed the so called abrasion resistance from your trousers so essentially you now have an expensive pair of waterproofs with some dubious hip protection.

Er, I don't think I have, have I ?! The abrasion resistance I am talking about is the entire outer layer of those trousers, which is Cordura 600D certified to slide over asphalt for around 20-30 seconds before it will tear. All I have done is taken the impact foam knee pads out and replaced them with better ones over the top, and re-used those knee ones as hip pads, which stay very snugly in place, and are doing a marvellous job so far... just today I twatted a hip coming round a corner where something hard was sticking out of a wall, and didn't feel it at all, so they are doing something ! I just wanted a bit of padding round the hip area, and some waterproof trousers that wouldn't rip immediately the moment that I went down like jeans would ! But today was another ride in which I didn't crash, so they do remain untested... I will watch the video...

Edit: OK, I watched the video, from which I inferred the following salient points:

• Lined is better than not lined to avoid skin shear
  • Abrasion resist is not only from the outer layer but from the armour underneath it

But I am still confused why you think my system is no good. The RXL trousers ARE lined, and I am wearing a nice slippy thermals layer underneath that, so skin shear shouldn't be an issue if the outer Cordura doesn't rip in a slide. The impact when I go down will be primarily taken by my Leatt Dual axis knee / shin guards, which are on top of the trousers, and therefore free to slide, or the bodysuit above them, and if I land on my hips there will be impact foam and a kidney belt there to take that hit instead. All of it slides, and mostly I hope to keep the trousers themselves off the ground because the armour on top of them will cover most of the spots I could land on. The abrasion resistance I seek is only for those few areas that proper armour doesn't cover, like my ass, and tops of thighs. Also my legs were getting very cold in the Winter, so I wanted something warmer that didn't soak straight through if it rained ! Lastly because those trousers are so big on me, I have to concertina them into many folds to strap them down to my legs, which in itself puts up to 3 or 4 layers of the Cordura between dogs' teeth and my calves, which I can only think of as a good thing !

Edited by Cerbera

31 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Er, I don't think I have, have I ?! The abrasion resistance I am talking about is the entire outer layer of those trousers, which is Cordura 600D certified to slide over asphalt for around 20-30 seconds before it will tear

I'm sorry but I don't think you can get good/real? rated single layer Cordura trousers for £50 let alone with armour.  The armour alone would easily cost that. Cheapest are around £150 Check out the vlogs suggested below for more details and what to watch out for. We are lucky to get 4 seconds slide times from leather (best performing material at present) so you will certainly won't get anything like 20-30 seconds certainly no more than 4 but I wouldn't trust the brand you have chosen just because it is so cheap. The vlog on the cheap leather suit shows the pitfalls and also that buying from amazon doesn't guarantee anything they are just the shopping centre not the shop. 

From your vlog it looks like the liner you removed was part of the abrasion resistance most likely.  Lined trousers are traditionally cheaper say £100.

But hey I might be wrong and these are the bargain of the century.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I'm sorry but I don't think you can get good/real? rated single layer Cordura trousers for £50 let alone with armour. 

You may be right about that. I have no reference to compare it to, but can only say that it looks and feels incredibly tough and seems like it might do OK / better than jeans in a crash, which is all I wanted really - I have been spending far too much money on armour recently, so am the first to admit I had run out of steam and budget a bit by the time I came to trousers ! I guess time will tell, and next time I fall in them I will certainly report their failings or their winnings accordingly...

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

might do OK / better than jeans in a crash

I think they will be better than normal jeans they burst on impact and have 0 seconds abrasion resistance [ yes i too when I was younger rode and crashed in normal jeans-they do nothing at all.] Not all is lost, just wanted you and others be aware so you don't have a false sense of security. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:57 PM, Josiah said:

Figured out the TSG cold weather freezing fog up issue.  Keep helmet on and visor down prior to going out doors 2-3 minutes.  Don’t open the visor out doors.  If the fog comes back breath heavily to thaw the inside of the visor to recover crystal clear vision.  Keep large hood over helmet to counter below freezing and wind chill. 

The fangs I mentioned earlier in the thread will reduce the fogging - they keep the face shield open just the right amount. I've tried all the other "solutions" you can buy as well as shaving cream (not pleasant to inhale that while you ride) and found them overhyped and ineffective for more than 30 minutes. Balaclavas help a little. If you haven't attached the foam horseshoe that comes with the helmet, that should also help. I was going to mount a polyamide heating strip to the bottom inside of the face shield and connect it to a small lifepo battery but was fortunate to move to a much nicer climate, so I abandoned the project.

You may want to consider a heated snowmobile helmet connected to a 14v lifepo pack and maybe add a controller/rheostat in-line. However, they tend to be heavy, about 1.5-2kg. I won't touch the 'safety' aspects of riding with a snowmobile helmet, but I'm sure others will have opinions on the matter.

61XjDORfS+L._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Upvote 1