Safe EUC Storage

ken-ny

7 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

I have one of those. I’m just wondering if a steel can would work even better. And be cheaper. :)

I hunted for a steel garbage can to invert over the top of my wheels... easy enough to find for the MTen but not so much for my other ones. You'll want to put a sandbag on top of it to keep it from tipping over—there's a lot of gases created when a cell vents.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Steel electrical box, steel instrument box, steel cabinet, anything steel.. Thicker material the better. Adding fireproof insulation like drywall, rockwool, concrete would help. Anything that could contain fire would work. Heck, if you insulate the inside very good, you could use regular wood closet/cabinet. You need to contain the "battery" fire time.. 1-3 mins? (You need a funnel like thing, so air/fire can escape) After that regular bonfire.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I have one of those. I’m just wondering if a steel can would work even better. And be cheaper. :)

Work better in terms of using as your main protection? Probably not as a regular steel trash can isn’t made to be a fire storage unit. 

a lot of people use steel bins to cook outdoors and for wood burning so it can withstand heat. Can it withstand a lithium battery fire and contain the toxic gases? 

also if you did decide to use this  Have you thought of Once it gets HOT how are you planning on moving this bulky now heavy bin with a euc inside? 

Do you really wanna keep an expensive wheel outside in a metal trash bin? Could end up being tossed permanently by accident as well.

Edited by Mayhem

34 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Work better in terms of using as your main protection? Probably not as a regular steel trash can isn’t made to be a fire storage unit. 

a lot of people use steel bins to cook outdoors and for wood burning so it can withstand heat. Can it withstand a lithium battery fire and contain the toxic gases? 

also if you did decide to use this  Have you thought of Once it gets HOT how are you planning on moving this bulky now heavy bin with a euc inside? 

Do you really wanna keep an expensive wheel outside in a metal trash bin? Could end up being tossed permanently by accident as well.

He didn't want to contain gases.. (as one should not: Hello TNT bomb) xD Could be more damaging than regular fire.

Why would you move it? If euc starts burning while no one is at home, who would move it then? Casper the friendly ghost? Something that can control fire, flying batteries, so house don't burn down.

Who was talking about "outside"? For that we would also need temperature control. Moisture, bug protection.

At least in trash can you can put a hose in and let it fill full of water. Sure toxic gases will flow, but stop fire. (And if you wanna be engineering savvy, you could put in metal pipe with smoke detector. As soon it detects smoke/fire it fill full of water.)

Doh, mixing battery "juices" with water also makes gases that can explode or something, so maybe not.. So simply let it burnout it self.

;) 

Edited by Funky

22 minutes ago, Funky said:

Why would you move it? If euc starts burning while no one is at home, who would move it then? Casper the friendly ghost? Something that can control fire, flying batteries, so house don't burn down.

Who was talking about "outside"? For that we would also need temperature control. Moisture, bug protection.

Hot metal box in your home you gonna leave it there??? Doubtful…. if your not home then whatever happens happens but you being home your not gonna sit by and do nothing. So YES, you are gonna want to move the danger outside.

Keeping a metal trash can inside your home just so that you can put your euc in it is absurd. Plenty of better options. For indoor protection metal trash can isn’t it. Which is why I stated outside.

Edited by Mayhem

25 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Hot metal box in your home you gonna leave it there??? Doubtful…. if your not home then whatever happens happens but you being home your not gonna sit by and do nothing. So YES, you are gonna want to move the danger outside.

Keeping a metal trash can inside your home just so that you can put your euc in it is absurd. Plenty of better options. For indoor protection metal trash can isn’t it. Which is why I stated outside.

Function over form. Spending 50$ vs nice looking cabinet worth 300$. Some would choose 50$ option xD. When fire starts i would open window fast and run next room/close doors behind. So the "toxic smoke" doesn't go true all house.  Also mentioned the smoke.. Would you stay there breathing all that crap? How would you even move the hot mess. Adding insulation around, especially under it will prevent all fire damage. So leaving it burn there be no problem. After those first 5 mins, i would try to go in and put a bucket or two over it, so plastic stops burning. So yeah..

Better have hot box that is controlled on fire.. VS having all room on fire. I know which i choose.

Edited by Funky

7 hours ago, bracky72 said:

How about a quality galvanized steel garbage can?  Do you think it could contain the fury?  My thinking is using springs to hold the lid down. That way gases can escape but it will be held on. 

Been thinking along the same lines; it should even be possible to rig up a length of steel ducting to vent out gases to the outside, if it is in a garage or outbuilding.  The type of lid for a garden leaf-incinerator type bin springs to mind, though the vented body might not be so useful. An alternative method might be to place an upturned bin over the stand with EUC (thus avoiding lifting the heavy wheel in and out), having first placed the stand on ceramic tiles or some other similarly fireproof flooring material. A little DIY might be required to fix the ducting to the upturned bin base, but ‘metal petals’ could be cut and pulled upward to fix the ducting onto, or a sleeve or flanged ring riveted or bolted into place to accommodate the ducting.

Hopefully any such contraption may never be pressed into ‘active’ fire-service, but like insurance, the peace of mind afforded should be some comfort in this remote eventuality.

0A936BA3-EE38-404D-8D20-F732FB8D6DC1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

Been thinking along the same lines; it should even be possible to rig up a length of steel ducting to vent out gases to the outside, if it is in a garage or outbuilding.  The type of lid for a garden leaf-incinerator type bin springs to mind, though the vented body might not be so useful. An alternative method might be to place an upturned bin over the stand with EUC (thus avoiding lifting the heavy wheel in and out), having first placed the stand on ceramic tiles or some other similarly fireproof flooring material. A little DIY might be required to fix the ducting to the upturned bin base, but ‘metal petals’ could be cut and pulled upward to fix the ducting onto, or a sleeve or flanged ring riveted or bolted into place to accommodate the ducting.

Hopefully any such contraption may never be pressed into ‘active’ fire-service, but like insurance, the peace of mind afforded should be some comfort in this remote eventuality.

0A936BA3-EE38-404D-8D20-F732FB8D6DC1.jpeg

Upside down - could be added a chain hoist then. No need to lift the "can" simply pull it up/dpwn. :D Also could use a can in a can. 2x layer.

I stopped by Home Depot and picked up a 32 gallon can. It fits perfectly over my 16x or mcm5v2 but just barely not over my nik+.  I keep my wheels in a freestanding garage so fumes aren’t a problem. I just don’t want the building to burn down. 

I’ll find the next size up for my nik+ somewhere. :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

I stopped by Home Depot and picked up a 32 gallon can. It fits perfectly over my 16x or mcm5v2 but just barely not over my nik+.  I keep my wheels in a freestanding garage so fumes aren’t a problem. I just don’t want the building to burn down. 

I’ll find the next size up for my nik+ somewhere. :)

You could always "squish" the can little bit. xD If you don't need the cover. (If you place it upside down.)

• Like 1

https://sunwestcontainer.com/drums/55-gallon-drums/reconditioned-55-gallon-steel-drum-open-head-lined-fittings-bolt-ring-closure-white.html

image.png.7ef59dd681572f50392d07b02cd33f8b.png

RECONDITIONED 55 GALLON STEEL DRUM, OPEN HEAD, LINED, FITTINGS, BOLT RING CLOSURE, WHITE.

$79.65 / each

A quality cold rolled carbon steel reconditioned 55 gallon drum, open head, with a 2 inch and ¾ inch fitting on its cover for faucet, pump, and mixer use in processing and dispensing products inside. The reconditioned 55 gallon steel drum holds 55 gallons of product with corrosion resistance and durability.

Non-UN rated reconditioned 55 gallon steel drum

Lined for corrosion resistance

Heavy duty bolt ring closure for ensured tight, secure sealing.

55 Gallon
White
Steel w/ Bolt Ring
Steel
Epoxy Phenolic Lined
Open Head
41 lbs

4 hours ago, Funky said:

How would you even move the hot mess.

Exactly why I asked have you thought about how your gonna move a hot metal trash can. Your repeating what I asked originally so your making my point. 

4 hours ago, Funky said:

So leaving it burn there be no problem. After those first 5 mins, i would try to go in and put a bucket or two over it, so plastic stops burning. So yeah..

- That fire is going to burn much longer then 5 min. Hate to break it to you. 

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Adding insulation around, especially under it will prevent all fire damage.

Buying the right fire equipment instead of trying to save a buck or two hoping your home made fire bin works isn’t worth risking your life for a few dollars. 

4 hours ago, Funky said:

Better have hot box that is controlled on fire.. VS having all room on fire. I know which i choose.

IF! your make shift box works. Many would Much rather buy a $300 fire proof box with a rated burn time and temperature knowing it will work. Instead of being cheap with some jerry rigged contraption. Hoping it works when the time comes. 

People want to spend $3k on a euc and then be cheap about fire safety. HA, What a joke. 

The money you spend now will save you hundreds if not thousands later…

Edited by Mayhem

In light of what the New York City Fire Department did to deal with the S20 flaming inferno, mainly by hosing it down, and then submerging it in a garbage can full of water, perhaps we can use these ideas to come up with a storage solution.

For storage, perhaps we can place the euc above a drum of water that is large enough to fully submerge the whole euc. Of course, you have to work out the details as to how it can be placed on top of the drum, so that the flames would burn out the cover quickly, letting the euc fall into the drum and get submerged. And also not have the euc fall in accidentally. 

Edited by techyiam

12 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Exactly why I asked have you thought about how your gonna move a hot metal trash can. Your repeating what I asked originally so your making my point. 

As mentioned also before, i would not move it. Because of the smokes that are coming out of the batteries.. Do you have a clue how fast the thermal runaway batteries burn?? My small room would fill up with smoke in 20-30 secs.

- That fire is going to burn much longer then 5 min. Hate to break it to you. 
Batteries "explode" the thermal runaway happens fast, 1-5 mins. After that it's the plastic that burns.

Buying the right fire equipment instead of trying to save a buck or two hoping your home made fire bin works isn’t worth risking your life for a few dollars.

Still better to have something vs nothing. As said why would it not work.. Some bricks under the container, concrete drywall behind. And if you want add rockwool around the container. As it doesn't burn..

IF! your make shift box works. Many would Much rather buy a $300 fire proof box with a rated burn time and temperature knowing it will work. Instead of being cheap with some jerry rigged contraption. Hoping it works when the time comes. 

Show me a 300$ fire proof box please. Cheapest ones comes around 1.200$

As said some materials doesn't burn at all. So use them. If i want cheapest possible, i would build furnace out of bricks. Will work amazingly.

People want to spend $3k on a euc and then be cheap about fire safety. HA, What a joke. 

Most don't spend anything for fire safety Ha.. Same as any other pev's. You don't see electric scooters, longboards, hoverboards. Placed somewhere.

You would have seen so many containers on youtube by now, i'm sure of that..

The money you spend now will save you hundreds if not thousands later…

True about it. Doh i would like to spend 0.

12 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I loved that idea also. Doh in my small apartment room it would not work. :(  Best i could do is having a small metal box next to my bed..

Edited by Funky

4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I have 20-ish wheels in my garage, some as old as five years, many having been quite severely abused as rental wheels. No fires to report.

How many of your 20-ish euc's are Gotway / Begode wheels with the 900 Wh battery packs?