EUC storage & charging cabinet with fire suppression system

Seba

• 2 weeks later...

Very slick. I like the automatic garage door opener option. I was reading a pdf the other day about the gases from these events and was shocked at just how toxic they are. Everyone knows they are to be avoided but the lethality within a confined space was extraordinary.

16 minutes ago, DavidB said:

I was reading a pdf the other day about the gases from these events and was shocked at just how toxic they are. Everyone knows they are to be avoided but the lethality within a confined space was extraordinary.

Number one lethality of beeing with something burning/(heavily) smoking should be the lack of oxygen. Maybe supported by carbonmonoxide.

And some passing out from catbondioxide before dying...d

Additiinally i'd consider fumes from about almost eberything in a household like electronics, plastics, ... as extremely toxic.

Or is there something even worse within the li ion batteries?

• Like 1

Yes HF.

1.7 mg/m3 Allowed exposure level at work in Sweden

25mg/m3 IDHL

139mg/m3 The lethal 10 minute value ((AEGL-3)

A fire that consumes a 2kw li-ion battery emits b/w 40 and 400gm of HF according to this pdf. That would be 40000mg/90m3 for a 6mx6mx2.5m garage. That is 444mg/m3 or 3 times the lethal 10min level at the lower emission and 10x that (ie 30x lethal dose) at the higher level.

Like I said in my previous post I was shocked by the data.

The pdf is "Thermal propagation in lithium ion batteries" at ec.europa.eu page 16 on..

The same pdf stated that if the gases released from pre-ignition venting are confined an explosion can occur on ignition. I have no idea how probable this would be. But LTO batteries are looking like the weight may be a acceptable trade-off when considering there high discharge rate and fast charging.

• Like 2