Safe EUC Storage

ken-ny

51 minutes ago, Mango said:

Keeping wheels in a garage, regardless of quantity, is different than having as few as one in an apartment.

This ^^^        An upturned and rockwool lined metal trash can atop ceramic tiles placed under the EUC stand - which would undoubtedly melt/burn too - of my ‘suspect’ MSP should minimise the risk of any fire spreading to its stablemates, a Sherman, VSett 10+scooter, my e-mtb and other sundry items which share their warmed block construction room in my garage. Though I don’t discount the eventuality of a fire by any means, I look on it as a relatively inexpensive means of isolating ‘the suspect’ in the corner of the room, away from the others. Working on the ventilation to the outside meantime, steel ducting to vent any fumes to the outside. Water readily at hand, and thinking about ‘how’ to include same usefully into the scene.

I did hitherto afford it house space, before the Gotway self-immolation phenomenon became a bit of a ‘thing’, but having the choice of an alternative store some 20 metres away from the house seemed the more sensible way forward, ‘just in case’. Actually the building is more of an outbuilding than a garage, as my car is not stored there.

MSP is the HS C30 model, with a roll NZ cover (which has kept the wheel largely unblemished throughout the learning/improving process of last year, and was definitely money well spent I feel) and my riding style is basically pootling along enjoying the countryside and forest tracks here, making the likes of Marty & Ian look like daredevils, nor have I attached side pads (as opposed to power pads, which I personally suspect can tempt the rider into pushing or decelerating the wheel in a very hard manner, which may or may not result in issues with either the  premature degradation of battery packs or stressing to the limit of either BMS or controller components, though I’m of course happy to be those with ‘the minority view’ in these respects), but may do so but much more for riding comfort than any desire for more assertive performance.      My ‘speed’ rarely exceeds 15mph, as I’m more interested in the wheel as a means to pass through and enjoy the nature rather than riding purely for the pleasure of riding the wheel, it is more the means to the end than the ‘end’ itself. For me, gliding sedately through the countryside and taking in the sights, sounds and smells has much to commend it.

Of course, using a Gotway EUC to do this might seem ‘risky’ when comparing to the reward, though it is not my only wheel. Equally, behind every fire there may well be a story…

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 1

https://nypost.com/2019/05/09/charging-electric-unicycle-sparks-greenwich-village-fire/

May 9, 2019

Charging electric unicycle sparks Greenwich Village fire

A two-alarm fire that broke out in a Greenwich Village building Wednesday was caused by an electric unicycle that was charging at the scene, officials revealed Thursday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59931896

10 January, 2022

New York fire: At least 19 killed in apartment block blaze

At least 19 people, including nine children, have died after a fire in a New York apartment building.

Fire department Commissioner Daniel Nigro said they had found victims on every floor of the 19-storey block, saying the smoke was "unprecedented".

He told NBC News the death toll was the worst seen in New York for 30 years.

Commissioner Nigro said there were two floors of fire, but the smoke had spread everywhere.

The door to the apartment where the fire started was left open, and smoke then spread to every floor, Commissioner Nigro told reporters.

"Members found victims on every floor in stairwells and were taking them out in cardiac and respiratory arrest," he said.

_122637292_newyorkonegetty.jpg

Victims were found on every floor of the building.

Smoke inhalation is the major killer.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty cool, Rehab1.  Looking at what you got, I'm guessing the fire itself won't be catastrophic especially if you can get there to help your suppression system. Do you have anything installed for ventilation or smoke redirection?

• 1 month later...

I got the new batteries from eWheels for my 2019 Nik, keep it in the basement surrounded by concrete, but no longer cover it in the fire proof kiln blanket like before. I think if things are operating normally, there's cause for optimism that things won't firebomb you. If things aren't normal in any way, get the bats out and put 'em in a metal trash can or something until you figure out what you're gonna do. These companies are running decent sized businesses for numerous years, so the volume of sales has to be fairly high, and the number of fires seem to be like below 50 or so, most with circumstances; I'm more likely to die pushing the speed limits than my wheel catching fire. These things are so stupid, yet utterly amazing, lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elwood said:

I got the new batteries from eWheels for my 2019 Nik, keep it in the basement surrounded by concrete, but no longer cover it in the fire proof kiln blanket like before. I think if things are operating normally, there's cause for optimism that things won't firebomb you. If things aren't normal in any way, get the bats out and put 'em in a metal trash can or something until you figure out what you're gonna do. These companies are running decent sized businesses for numerous years, so the volume of sales has to be fairly high, and the number of fires seem to be like below 50 or so, most with circumstances; I'm more likely to die pushing the speed limits than my wheel catching fire. These things are so stupid, yet utterly amazing, lol.

Metal trash can is an awesome idea.  In case of combustion, it will be loose enough not to build pressure.

13 hours ago, Funky said:

Batteries may fly like rockets.. :whistling: Some kind cover is needed still, with air holes.

Flip the can overtop the wheel. Pressure escapes underneath. Metal holds everything in. I hope. :D

• Like 1

Maybe use a 44 gallon metal drum to place over it.

Ventilation holes drilled into the top.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_(container)

Standard drums have inside dimensions of 572 millimetres (22.5 in) diameter and 851 millimetres (33.5 in) height.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224959729370?hash=item3460a50eda:g:vf8AAOSwH~1h1HQu

Empty 55 Gallon Steel Drums Drum Drums Barrel Barrels - Like New

$25.00

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Funky said:

Batteries may fly like rockets.. :whistling: Some kind cover is needed still, with air holes.

Can has a lid.  You can put a weight on it to ensure the lid doesn't fly off

15 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Can has a lid.  You can put a weight on it to ensure the lid doesn't fly off

Knowing how euc are made, i wouldn't be surprised if one battery cell is literally a TNT stick. You know.. while putting together, someone placed it there for giggles.. :D 

Edited by Funky

6 hours ago, Paul A said:

Maybe use a 44 gallon metal drum to place over it.

Ventilation holes drilled into the top.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_(container)

Standard drums have inside dimensions of 572 millimetres (22.5 in) diameter and 851 millimetres (33.5 in) height.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224959729370?hash=item3460a50eda:g:vf8AAOSwH~1h1HQu

Empty 55 Gallon Steel Drums Drum Drums Barrel Barrels - Like New

$25.00

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Wow for 25$ those could save someone a fortune on a divorce 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes,

$25 for a steel drum that isn't going to burn or deform, seems to be very good value.

If wanting to use the drum in the upright position, the optional lid clips on easily.

If the wheel is in an upright container drum, it makes it easy to simply insert a hose in through a hole in the lid, and fill with water.

Firesaks are $149 for the large sized ones, and might not work.

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 3

Dam 50Euro in my country.. Hmm should i get it? (Heck could even cut it shorter and reweld it - more easy to put in/out) Add 4 bricks under it, so heat doesn't burn floor. I suspect it would contain euc fire pretty good?

I wonder the bottom/sidewalls being ~1mm thick will contain the "fire"?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Firesaks are $149 for the large sized ones, and might not work.

uhuh and firesaks have been impossible to buy.  Plus a steel trash would probably be more fire resistant than a firesak

9 minutes ago, Funky said:

I wonder the bottom/sidewalls being ~1mm thick will contain the "heat"

I think it is possible to stack 2 trash cans to double the thickness.

Edited by 360rumors
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

I think it is possible to stack 2 trash cans to double the thickness.

Can't seem to "find" those metal trash cans in my country.. We got the "plastic" ones only here. :D

Maybe a 44 gallon drum, and a 55 gallon drum. 

One inside the other.

Maybe fill the space in between the walls with sand?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154960506785?hash=item24145dafa1:g:IrIAAOSwm5lhqmFW&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4MocQxyqVeRelU5x0xfB00J5m86oCwx8fuJ8%2BZ0BI1AV1go%2BrjKb0mFok8BSzEgAsaQz6f7mQ7T028Vc4hFdNYSxoLuOZ3YWIllv3v729s44pu1rfgH3wAPZ75hVG4CFhjake1yYXUObKqt6txyo2N11uAtkRxkspokklj%2FMeH9V1%2FVpxgZxcwknj4HDYdNpEJoBLcdZbfdH7h6Up0Yo9bmeRqt7nQyKwIL3AxlVMfVcCF%2F9MOUsQfZMIbtriahPRsmCL9QctbPXbnTT4NnM6yCJP8%2FkMcy9L1R7aYuH3d%2FU|tkp%3ABFBMlKG5matg

55 gallon Steel Drum Barrel

Price:
US $25.00

Condition:
Used
“Condition varies. Some are like new while other are a bit old. Some have bolted lids and Some have lever rings. Did not contain any hazardous or flammable material and/or liquid.”

s-l1600.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn62QsPy81p-6e2ea_JQ0

Edited by Paul A
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe a 44 gallon drum, and a 55 gallon drum. 

One inside the other.

Maybe fill the space in between the walls with sand?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154960506785?hash=item24145dafa1:g:IrIAAOSwm5lhqmFW&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4MocQxyqVeRelU5x0xfB00J5m86oCwx8fuJ8%2BZ0BI1AV1go%2BrjKb0mFok8BSzEgAsaQz6f7mQ7T028Vc4hFdNYSxoLuOZ3YWIllv3v729s44pu1rfgH3wAPZ75hVG4CFhjake1yYXUObKqt6txyo2N11uAtkRxkspokklj%2FMeH9V1%2FVpxgZxcwknj4HDYdNpEJoBLcdZbfdH7h6Up0Yo9bmeRqt7nQyKwIL3AxlVMfVcCF%2F9MOUsQfZMIbtriahPRsmCL9QctbPXbnTT4NnM6yCJP8%2FkMcy9L1R7aYuH3d%2FU|tkp%3ABFBMlKG5matg

55 gallon Steel Drum Barrel

Price:
US $25.00

Condition:
Used
“Condition varies. Some are like new while other are a bit old. Some have bolted lids and Some have lever rings. Did not contain any hazardous or flammable material and/or liquid.”

s-l1600.jpg

The first one you linked was already 55 :D 44 would be to "small" for my wheel - diameter.

• Thanks 1

now you just need one with BBQ paint on it

i still like the idea of an old electric stove with an oven, stick the wheel in the oven and close the door, you get them for free

1 minute ago, goatman said:

now you just need one with BBQ paint on it

i still like the idea of an old electric stove with an oven, stick the wheel in the oven and close the door, you get them for free

Are the inside that big doh.. Can you really stick it in there? Smaller wheels maybe.

4 hours ago, alcatraz said:

How are you going to park the wheel in the barrel after every single ride?

Perhaps;

Place some bricks on the ground.

Place the drum lid onto the bricks.

As the drum lid is slightly off the ground, it allows the ring clip to be operable.

Place EUC stand on the drum lid.

Place EUC onto stand.

Place inverted drum over the EUC.

Ring clip lid and drum to create water tight seal at the base.

Have holes drilled into the top of the drum for ventilation to prevent explosion.

Holes provide access for water hose.

Maybe attach two handles to drum to make handling easier?

The diameter of the lid, height of drum, need to be considered.  Some of the larger EUCs may not fit.

Perhaps if a member does this, a video would be good.