Anyone having issues with others wanting to ride their EUC?

Glock43x

I own a kingsong 16s. Been riding for several months only. People around seem to think it's so darn easy to just jump on and go. The only thing they managed to do is banged up the EUC some more. On top of that, they've asked for me to let them practice on it.. WTF? it's a $1200 piece of equipment to just lending it to anyone.. annoying. Have been telling others to screw off and buy their own if they want to practice..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, nice toy syndrome... among motorcyclists it is known to bea pretty common occurrence to park your bike somewhere, go shopping or whatever and then find total strangers sitting on your bike and taking photos when you return, or people letting their kids climb all over the bike.

Interesting, after more than year and half with EUC, noone unknown asked me to borow it and try. First question was always - how long is needed to be able to ride. My answer is average 3 days and weeks if you want to drive safety on road or pavement.

• Like 1

If stranger asks to try out a regular bike, i doubt anyone would let them.. No one stopping them simply riding away. Same could happen on euc. What if stranger knows how to ride one. "Bon voyage" to your euc. xD

Even if my friend would wanna try, i would not let them. I don't want any damage on my euc.. (Doh i don't have friends.. So i have no problems there.)

I would simply tell them: It looks "easy", but in reality it's dam hard at beginning. I at beginning thought it's not possible to ride one.(How the hell you keep this thing up..) But when you learn, it's like a regular bike.

Edited by Funky
Spelling
  • Like 1

The only person I let try my EUC is my GF and then only supported so she wasn't likely to damage it. I wouldn't let anyone else try and ride it. Anyone who can actually ride an EUC isn't going to be excited to try my V10F and anyone who can't ride an EUC isn't going to get a chance to damage it and possibly injure themselves and other people in the area.

If I am riding a nice bicycle around town and some random person asks to try it I'd just say "no" as well. 

• Like 1

This is also a thing if you have a really nice firearm or musical instrument, or an expensive tool. 

wonder what the global top types of “expensive, fragile, cherished objects that clumsy & irresponsible people want use for a minute” are

Edited by Richardo
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Richardo said:

This is also a thing if you have a really nice firearm or musical instrument, or an expensive tool. 

wonder what the global top types of “expensive, fragile, cherished objects that clumsy & irresponsible people want use for a minute” are

Remember when asking to use someone phone, meant they had to let you in the house? Back when it was almost impossible to lose them but likely you would trip on the 50' cord. It not uncommon for people to ask to borrow entire cars now. Sadly, if you let them borrow one, they forget it takes gasoline. GIven enough days loaned, they forget its your car. After 3 months, YOU become the asshole for wanting it back, NOT the good guy for loaning it in the first place. Just say no. You're gna be a d*ck in the end no matter what, may as well cut to the final scene.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Richardo said:

global top types of “expensive, fragile, cherished objects that clumsy & irresponsible people want use for a minute” are

The most widespread are probably knives and fountain pens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richardo said:

Expensive kitchen knives must be way up on that list... the r/chefknives subreddit and the KKF kitchen knife forum members can sing you many sad songs about relatives, spouses, friends or family ruining their knives by being super negligent or doing outrageous stuff with them.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

My old wheel has a roll.nz cover so I always offer someone to learn on it if they wanted, but I'd never loan it out to someone unless I already knew. It would be me there with them teaching them in a parking lot. Just tell them that it's too hard to pick up and will take a lot of time and damage to the wheel if you don't want them to try it. Usually the most I'll do unless I'm actively teaching someone how to ride is have them hold onto my shoulder and walk with me while they're on the wheel. They learn real quick that they have no balance on it

• Like 1

I'm not a stingy person, but I've become like one lately. I've let others borrowed/used my stuff many times in the past and they have never paid for those when broken. It's just so annoying. Buy your own stuff. i'm the kind of guy that if I want/need something, I just buy it.  People have broken my trolling motors, rifle scopes (borrowed rifle for hunting. Yeah I was stupid!) , power tools (Milwaukee), treestands, fishing rods, etc...

First time I bought a 2005 yamaha R1 and people around me wanted to ride it even though none of them has ever ridden a motorcycle before in their life. I said, NO.  Another rider buddy allowed a friend to ride his Kawasaki ZX10R.. First corner around the block, BAM!  Broke mirrors, fairings, scratch, dented tank, etc..   Guess what? All he said was, "my bad.."

Now, I'm gonna have to deal with others wanting to try my EUC. Rejecting strangers is much easier vs those you know.  I don't tell others what I buy, but if they're around you enough, they will find out. I planned on getting a kingsong 16X and I know what some will say, "you have 2, let me borrow one.."// gtfo here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

I always go out of my way if i see a new rider on an EUC getting all sorts of attention. 

I'll join the few people or sometimes small crowd and when it's a little less busy i will, in the politest manner and with my most trustworthy facial expression, request to try it. Getting on it i'll act like a complete noob and the second i have both feet on it i take off, and come back a good 1 minute or so later. You gotta make 'em sweat you kno.

Needles to say i returned their expensive vehicle 1-2 minutes later, and gave them a little talk about trust in 2022, and about how popular that vehicle in fact is. 

Dam bro, that's right there is "Thought Love" I can only imagine his/her face, when you leave them there thinking: Well shiit.. He just stole my euc. At least now they will double think before letting someone else use it. :D 

• Like 3

I’m sure this is heavily a cultural thing. In public EUC meets everybody let’s everybody to try even the newest wheels. If someone is unsure of their own skills, they won’t try. Same goes for group rides, we sometimes switch for a few minutes. Then again, usually even the new guys are someone familiar dude’s friends.

But for a guy who doesn’t know how to ride, absolutely not. No point doing that. Though the strangers around here simply never ask if they could try it. 

• Like 2