Is it worth it?? - Devil's advocate here...

agronick

• Full Members
  • EUC: Gotway MSP

I had an ongoing problem with the msp that I could not hear the beeps at all. I had hit 41 so thought I would be good with an alarm at 37. I had a cut out with full gear face helmit, motorcycle jacket, shin guards and knee pads, wrist guards at 34. It seems the knee pads were not the best in the world. My knee and leg are shattered. I'm writing this from a hospital bed. Surgery is tomorrow and I'll have plates and nails in my leg for the rest of my life. 

Funny enough the ride was captured in euc.world including the ambulance ride. https://euc.world/tour/590631998943178

Heres a pic of me now and my friends being bros documenting the event.

20200922_050805.jpg

received_354118549059322.jpeg

Seems that those Leatt type shin guards, popular with EUC riders, are not actually all that effective in a crash.

Leatt 3.0 EXT Knee Shin Guards Fuel Black | Alltricks.com

23 hours ago, Saile Zeugr said:

I will get my gear, put it on and roll forth into another tomorrow. It is just that I´d love to hear some participants' comments as to why we do this against all the odds of eventually having a (serious) fall.

We all have our reasons for riding an EUC.

It can be dangerous, but we do have some control over how dangerous it is by controlling our need for speed. If we ride like @OldFartRides and enjoy the scenery, we can step off / run off. Yes, we can get hurt even at low speeds, but odds are more in our favor and it should be a minor fall.

I like the way @ShanesPlanet summed up risk acceptance, and how it relates to being alive.

My thoughts about riding are very much agree with what @mrelwood expressed in his wonderful video. This is a "must watch"! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had several injuries and still have pain from them. Some of the activities I did I still do, others I physically can not. I believe that for me I will continue to risk injury for enjoyment until I can’t anymore.

The seeing more and riding slower analogy applies to me as well. Recently I fractured my shoulder on skates and continue to skate but at a much slower and alert pace.

I’d also add that I believe electric vehicles are the future in transportation. Even in the USA where gas is cheap, saving money equivalent to a tank of gas with all the additional benefits is too much to pass up. The practicality of them already outweigh everything else.

Edited by Boostnsvt
Adding
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Boostnsvt said:

I’ve had several injuries and still have pain from them. Some of the activities I did I still do, others I physically can not. I believe that for me I will continue to risk injury for enjoyment until I can’t anymore.

The seeing more and riding slower analogy applies to me as well. Recently I fractured my shoulder on skates and continue to skate but at a much slower and alert pace.

I’d also add that I believe electric vehicles are the future in transportation. Even in the USA where gas is cheap, saving money equivalent to a tank of gas with all the additional benefits is too much to pass up. The practicality of them already outweigh everything else.

Ofc it's the future. Electricity vs dino bones.. Can't wait solid state batteries, that don't explode or catch on fire. + 100% charge in ~20 mins, more battery life, 2x range for same weight = lighter wheels, or same weight for 2x range. That would be dream come true for euc riders.

• Like 2

EUC for me is both practical and fun. True… car, motorcycle, bicycles....are all faster and can carry more! Car cost me $80 dollars a month, parking another $80; motorcycle $50 a month; public transport, $60; bicycle nothing. All these means of transportation are bulky and not faster. To and fro work takes me 18 minutes on an EUC…from my house door to my workplace door can be as quick as any of these other means of transport and cheaper. It only costs me $5 of electricity each month charging my EUC. At work, I put my EUC under my table; that's it...no parking, no walking from garage to workplace, no waiting for bus...   Whether or not EUC is fun is a subjective thing. But I have to agree with all other EUC riders on this forum and in YouTube: It is well worth it!:roflmao:

Edited by Scubadragonsan
  • Like 3