Shattered leg gotway msp 34 mph cut out

Man that's real nasty, I feel for you. You had hard shell knee pads too, I'm surprised you had such a devastating injury. Makes me nervous just reading about this :(

Edit: Has to be said, now having seen your logs, 34mph on an MSP at 19% batt is pretty scary. Bearing in mind when we had one on test in the UK we were getting beeps around 32/33mph with a lot more battery % than that. I am amazed you have hit 41mph tbh, even my MSX 100v is beeping at that with a full battery :o

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

Good luck with the surgery and recovery. Sorry for your hard time.

When you are back in function it could be interesting to know the knee guard model and maybe a picture to see how it failed..

GOTWAY HEAR THIS !!! .... make our wheels able to beep more loud (configurable !) at specific reached speed without needing EUCWorld or any other app.

agronick: looking on that EUCWorld log you could analyze what went wrong and see how bad decisions influence our life sometimes. It seems you like speeding too much, hope you get well soon and learn something from this unhappy event.

Edited by Meserias
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, agronick said:

I had an ongoing problem with the msp that I could not hear the beeps at all. I had hit 41 so thought I would be good with an alarm at 37. I had a cut out with full gear face helmit, motorcycle jacket, shin guards and knee pads, wrist guards at 34. It seems the knee pads were not the best in the world. My knee and leg are shattered. I'm writing this from a hospital bed. Surgery is tomorrow and I'll have plates and nails in my leg for the rest of my life. 

Funny enough the ride was captured in euc.world including the ambulance ride. https://euc.world/tour/590631998943178

Heres a pic of me now and my friends being bros documenting the event.

Wow i wish you fast healing you eucworld have bad setings you log say 80 volt(full) MSP is 100V you need fix this in general setings in eucworld.

Is MSP 2500W or 2000W ?

Terrible news - very sorry to hear. 

IMO no amount of tech is going to remove risk from EUC riding because no other vehicle leads to immediate fall on software/hware fail (ok maybe segway/onewheel). Serious injuries appear to be low frequency but as more people get into euc and machines get faster, these will increase. Sadly this kind of injury is a reminder that the machines we ride are dangerous and subject to unexpected behaviours (cutouts,etc.) . EUC will not be building in full redundancy of core components therefore riding mindset & gear are the main factors in avoiding serious injury (and even gear is not always sufficient).  Hard to admit but dialling back on how hard we push our machines might be the only way to diminish risk of serious injury :-(

Quick recovery to you @agronick and thanks for sharing the details of this very unfortunate crash...

Yes we are at the risk of random failure (as other random incident) but this wasn't one, the wheel was most certainly overpowered..
I believe the nuance matters as one of the two can be avoided.

Let this be yet a reminder that we much be careful with power envelope as well as be ready to take a fall.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, null said:

Yes we are at the risk of random failure (as other random incident) but this wasn't one, the wheel was most certainly overpowered..
I believe the nuance matters as one of the two can be avoided.

Agreed - hence my closing comment:  ''Hard to admit but dialling back on how hard we push our machines might be the only way to diminish risk of serious injury :-(''

It is so ez to ride up to the edge of the envelope despite various tools that are meant to help remind us - multiple alarms etc. - and forget that close to the edge is much higher risk of serious injury...

• Like 1

There has to be a better way of communicating imminent cut out than beeps. At the speeds where you’re at risk of you simply won’t hear beeps. Haptic feedback through the pedals maybe?

i hope your leg comes good @agronick I’ve just had to take a 6 month break from riding because of a torn ACL after a fall. I only just managed to stop my wife from putting my wheel on the street!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 5:17 AM, agronick said:

I'm writing this from a hospital bed. Surgery is tomorrow and I'll have plates and nails in my leg for the rest of my life. 

OMG! Sorry to hear this! Wishing you a speedy recovery!  Please keep us updated during your post/op stages. Can you share your pre and post op Xrays?

Edited by Rehab1

@agronick a read sad story to read. I hope you recover in best possible way.

Thank you for sharing to remind us all that it isn't risk free to ride at high speeds. 

I had my share of accidents. Due to this I nearly always ride in my KILM mc suit. It was expensive but looking at your situation I hope it will show as money well spend in case I end up in similar situation. But I don't ride as fast. I limit my wheels to 40kmh. As speed is a big factor to how severe injury you can get from an accident. Yet if you are unlucky it can happen too at much lower speeds. 

I guess it starts to be time to find lights and reflection cloth from storage as I get into the dark season at my place... 

Once again I hope you recover to best abilities. 

Hope you get well. As new owner of MSP this was good reminder to look my settings again.

Lowering my safety settings and activate _tiltback_ - done.

Only thing you can trust to get response from is TILTBACK. 

Can't just rely on bluetooth connection and EUC world, from my experience so far. 

Additional speed warnings for low battery 30% (because EUC world seems to show higher % for my low battery state).

Driving the last part slooow to avoid cut outs. 

Would be so much better if we could set additional tiltback option for low battery and speed, this way making it even harder to drive that last part of low battery and getting cut.

Stay safe folks!

• Like 2

And with the upload file limit here is a separate post with the kneepad I was wearing which obviously didn't work. Doubt they still make them. Got them years ago for dirtbiking. With some better knee guards I might have walked away.

20200924_085401.png

Edited by agronick
  • Like 2

Best wishes for a fast recovery. As others have said, even with the best of gear and slower speeds, sometimes the body still hits in a way that things end up breaking bones.

Hopefully you're still be riding in the future, albeit perhaps a bit slower :)

• Like 2