V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

Question?

I’m about to do my fourth install as Ewheels  just sent me the slave /sister board, which we think burned out during one of my installs.

As I’m taking the wheel apart I decided to get a quick voltage reading on each of the batterie’s xt60 And they are measuring 4.1 volts on each side?  Is there a fuse or something that is interrupting my true voltage reading on these battery packs? Confused..
My idea was to install the old board as I’m worried that the current updated board I have my blow the sister slave board again. 

14 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Question?

I’m about to do my fourth install as Ewheels  just sent me the slave /sister board, which we think burned out during one of my installs.

As I’m taking the wheel apart I decided to get a quick voltage reading on each of the batterie’s xt60 And they are measuring 4.1 volts on each side?  Is there a fuse or something that is interrupting my true voltage reading on these battery packs? Confused..
My idea was to install the old board as I’m worried that the current updated board I have my blow the sister slave board again. 

That voltage is normal, the packs are isolated until the slave board gives them the signal to open up.

Odd question though, is this one of the very first batch V12s with the m4 bolts for the handle cover and not the m3 ones with the white nylon isolators?

First batch left, newer batch right:

YT6eCE7.png

Edited by Brendan "nog3" Halliday
images weren't uploaded
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

Question?

i saw similar while i had my wheel apart. someone said earlier on these forums that the inmotion BMS cuts power from the batteries unless the wheel is turned on.

good luck,

steve

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

That voltage is normal, the packs are isolated until the slave board gives them the signal to open up.

Odd question though, is this one of the very first batch V12s with the m4 bolts for the handle cover and not the m3 ones with the white nylon isolators?

First batch left, newer batch right:

M0xv9GpaO4voheVh9IHMkW3yALngZrkX49p1XovM0lmX7gVsMGrQqN905Ex9Ufkhw3_9HVuqb25oEBMiMHdbWlKKvQgvFwyCl6M6YW6g1A_91PI9WW5cPPaYlhfNLRYv57amZS_9iqNTutZbhNMIOLQzaZ6gxEhhDmu7nNwDMcalPDd__3abSYSM5QhEtAL5dOXVIDJncwCCCr4Gqof04YhzwGhvmBOdYdttfWElkpDqEnfEOf4sGrF8de2A8pDRjI18PlsJPs3P0Ary_su6nMWncj3jSPV-GJR6bJnywBRvnb5qPVuc0zmRoIN0aMRFzLS-pUQzmxsLvruWFDCYkgQd-ildXnOlo9fpSdjztQmbGEsjhTmjoethjF9cZTN3hS5NTvcjW9gOq2WLLvqGLkIzAS2-lYtDrkdCQYW7IDhejOlm16imcm0sxTcWtq4ofkLUtL0zjsYe9FzWg7M26qpKWRc2ULnsiy-55UvvIv64NuuRgqY53LxszQgEFJ7hM-LMiRtHYksO0vZojSvzH6gtsqHYENDb3-3ZS423ilWTJDfl5Gl_nr79MdVxF35sw1RqZ6OgleYt7JSWrUM43MT0FTTgFvwVsS-H3qtsRGqCCmlWUbTrSXdKs8AY_P3bbl3QRV9cNXSIwmxVPhDkn3yLSGlqDLcBVBAzRM4adINZs0nRPkKAa5c_yhh4bBarWBOJnUzjd5pisbgxPJcAeVgwdxMS46DsfqjnyDT9yZGqOZ7wt0fQyC8Vn2W0RVRZPSS5T_I3LsNsMMDzfc2zia7JK_1zcEZig2XOEQ=w1287-h969-no?authuser=0

Hi @Brendan "nog3" Halliday!!

This is rather odd though. Because we did also decided to do this test in the battery connectors during the last board replacement. But we got 88v (or whatever the actual voltage was), which we verified when we turned the wheel on after the board install. 

Would this indicate some problem with the BMSs'? Or might the control board just have not turned the BMSs' off before the control board got barbecued? 

12 hours ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

I can’t see your pics, but yes it is part of the very first v12s with the four bolts… why?

My forth try with a new sister/slave board failed. A voice repeats herself, and the headlight works except no balancing, no lcd screen. I really regret trying to change the board, and at this point purchasing the wheel. I think Inmotion got a head of themselves making an over complicated wheel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

If you look in the top cover of the V12 there is a ground wire hooked up to the display (black wire, to near where two yellow wires for the lift switch are) which means the top handle casting is used as a ground plane for the low voltage side of the unit.

This is actually interesting, can you take a pic of that black ground wire ending with that little screw. It seems to just go in that plastic housing? The one that travels with the yellow wire down the length of the handle case 

13 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Did acceleration or braking improve?

No idea. Mine already came with the new board. Still broken, but the new one, so I cant compare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Inmotion V12 Driver Board Swap - 5 Things You Should Know. No More Cutouts Please.

Jun 2, 2022
v2ljvnTvzEEwxxfl4hQbA0HYI8DQMeoHvmSzKYWW

65 subscribers

eWheels sent me the new black controller board with upgraded mosfets for the Inmotion V12.

I replaced it myself and wanted to share my experience with fellow V12 owners and enthusiasts.

There are some things you can easily overlook and cause a bunch of headaches.

I actually highlighted 6 things in the video, one at the beginning.

• Like 3

my wheel is still going strong on my upgraded driver board after > 250miles. also, i am not hearing of any failures except for those immediately after installation (ie usually on initial power-up).

is it reasonable to assume at this point these new boards are safe to ride with?

thanks,

steve

Edited by evans036
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe users should not have been given the option to install the replacement board themselves.

i was ok with self installation, however i did/do object to the crappy packaging that caused my board to get so badly crushed that the temp sensor was torn from the board.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Paul g said:

InMotion choose the most risky and the cheapest approach.

@Paul g  Yes, this would seem to be part of the explanation. 

Some negotiated arrangement would probably have been needed with distributors/resellers.

To be paid by Inmotion to recall and implement the replacement boards.

The distributor replacement option would involve more significant costs of freight and labour.

Offer the much cheaper option to mail out the replacement board for the customer to DIY.

Try and reduce the costs as much as possible.

Edited by Paul A
typo
  • Like 2