V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

• 4 weeks later...

Not dissing on anyone but recent events...  Makes this whole "mosfet cutout" issue seem a bit overblown.

I mean, it could be worse, like cutting out and exploding into flames. 

Gotta give some credit here to the fire prevention. Not excusing the mosfet-failure, but at least no one felt threaten about a V12 fire hazard. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

There might be credit due, but it might be luck or a different kind of failure mode. I've no idea if V12 failures have blown fuses in the batteries but if they haven't, that implies that when the MOSFET died it didn't short the battery (for very long). The V12 failures haven't been reported to have let any magic smoke out of the failed parts‚ they probably failed "open" rather than shorted, and failing 'open' will not (usually!) result in a short across the battery.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Inmo uses fuses in the controller.
It's very likely they melt when controllers fail; but won't be visually obvious.

Multiple boards were repaired by only replacing the dead MOSFET, and apparently no fuse were blown.
These board failed so safely that a visual inspection is not enough to tell MOSFET were blown, you had to check each of them with a multimeter.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

OK. But the real question is, will inmotion follow the industry standard and rename the V12 to V22 so that we know we will get a fixed non-cutout non-explody version? -_-

Interesting point... how will one be able to tell whether or not the control board has been replaced, and what it was replaced with? (I'm not an advocate for changing the marketing name, but maybe the app will be able to tell?)

49 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Interesting point... how will one be able to tell whether or not the control board has been replaced, and what it was replaced with? (I'm not an advocate for changing the marketing name, but maybe the app will be able to tell?)

@Tawpie They will go with the V12 HS version 2    :confused1:

38 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I know this is just a joke, but I feel compelled to say this:

Inmotion had a (sadly, predictably) bad board design (MOSFETs just too small) with the V12, but it looks like they are doing the only sensible thing and are making the hardware changes that can be fully expected to reliably fix the issue. And there were "only" board failures, no battery fires.

KS had a novel catastrophic battery fire in addition to the board failure, and are proposing to "fix" the issue with a software update and nothing else.

Quite different situations. In fact this makes the (awful enough) V12 issue look good in comparison.

@meepmeepmayer KS seems to work on their S20-22 batteries, as seen on their youtube channel, but nothing about MOSFETS ???

57 minutes ago, Paul g said:

@meepmeepmayer KS seems to work on their S20-22 batteries, as seen on their youtube channel, but nothing about MOSFETS ???

They do? That's good, I only heard about BMS firmware fixes. The S20/S22 mosfets are probably fine, no problem yet showed where the TO-247 size was too small.

The V12 is rumored to get a new board with TO-247 sized mosfets right? That should fix these board failures.

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

AFAIK, the V12 HS will get a new controller board with a new higher voltage rated mosfet model, but they are still using the same physical TO-220 package. If the mosfet model is chosen well, I see no reason why it wouldn’t be sufficient for the task.

The V12 HT though will get a newly designed board and thermal layout with the physically larger TO-247 mosfets. This could improve the behavior at demanding off-road situations such as continuous or repeated extremely steep slow speed climbing.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Why not use the clearly better board for all V12 models? The board they have anyways?

Well, if it works, but I would not trust a V12 HS on any steep hills then...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

AFAIK, the V12 HS will get a new controller board with a new higher voltage rated mosfet model, but they are still using the same physical TO-220 package. If the mosfet model is chosen well, I see no reason why it wouldn’t be sufficient for the task.

The V12 HT though will get a newly designed board and thermal layout with the physically larger TO-247 mosfets. This could improve the behavior at demanding off-road situations such as continuous or repeated extremely steep slow speed climbing.

So far I believe this has been my own best guess based on the few details Inmotion shared in direct messages, but that's about it.
I still think it's probable (pro: allows to re-use the existing heatsink, con: 1 more mainboard variant out here to tune and maintain compatibility with) but let us know if you got actual confirmation for this ^_^

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The S20/S22 mosfets are probably fine, no problem yet showed where the TO-247 size was too small.

100V mosfets on 126V wheel ? that can’t accelerate/brake properly ,  than why mosfets burned out and than battery took fire- exactly because of wrong mosfets , @meepmeepmayer do you think this is good  :shock2:  ?

• Confused 2

I only meant the mosfet package size (TO 247, which has never shown any problems so far). Don't know anything about the actual S20/S22 mosfets. I sure hope they are properly specced.

Anyways, this is a V12 thread and I'm afraid I've derailed it a bit.... so I just hope this new V12 HS board works. I wonder when we will get more information about the new V12 HS and V12 HT boards. It's been a while. But I guess designing a new board takes time.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:46 AM,  RArtem said: 

HY5012W(TO-247)aren't these mosfets being used on Begode 100V wheels?

On 2/25/2022 at 12:02 PM,  supercurio said: 

Yes indeed as well as Veteran Sherman, hence proven.

“Also add King Song S18 and now the S20 to the list of EUC's using (TO-247)” .   <-  @fbhb

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/24258-inmotion-v12/page/54/

@Rawnei I thought this is verified info :efee96588e:

@meepmeepmayer I don’t like :efeff54d4a: wrong mosfets on the wrong battery voltage. Something will go wrong sooner or later. 😑 

China is in lockdown now because of the Covid outbreak 😷, so will have to wait some more 

* the citing function of the forum doesn’t work properly when the cited text has other people cited in their comment . I struggle.

Edited by Paul g
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Paul g said:

I thought it is about HY5012W not the form factor

I don't remember reading an IM commitment to much of anything with respect to the replacement motherboards. Dealers have indicated that swaps will be available but I think we're making assumptions (still). The replacement boards may have the same parts except they were properly stored by their subcontractor or they may have different parts... I don't think IM has said. At least, I haven't seen anything that looked official from IM. (caveat: I haven't searched either!)

Edited by Tawpie

I will never noticed the extra speed on the v12 because I will never get close to its top speed.

If I am someone who is just riding around (in a somewhat hilly city) would I ever notice the extra torque on the HT model vs the regular one? Or would you have to be doing crazy inclines or offroading to notice it?

16 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I don't remember reading an IM commitment to much of anything with respect to the replacement motherboards. Dealers have indicated that swaps will be available but I think we're making assumptions (still). The replacement boards may have the same parts except they were properly stored by their subcontractor or they may have different parts... I don't think IM has said. At least, I haven't seen anything that looked official from IM. (caveat: I haven't searched either!)

@Tawpie  this must be one of those days… :)  I was talking about S20  

• Haha 1