How Long Did it Take You?

IronGoos3

@TheSlyGiraffEVyour experience sounds very similar to mine in grasping some concepts, good to hear everyone’s unique learning curves and styles to riding.

43 minutes ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Learning on my own was challenging but very rewarding. When I taught my daughter, I set up folding chairs on our street and had her do specific drills to practice aspects of balance, acceleration, braking, turning. I do think it’s much easier to learn with someone instructing you, observing and pointing out what you’re doing right, and what you need to correct. Also, having a wheel with a wider tire helps a lot with stability. 2.125” on the Ninebot vs. 2.5” on the MTen3 is a noticeable difference. My daughter learned in three 1 hour sessions spread over the course of 3 days.

How old is your daughter? Curious what the average young age to get a child on the wheel. Thinking about teaching my daughter but expect she’s too young.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IronGoos3 said:

How old is your daughter? Curious what the average young age to get a child on the wheel. Thinking about teaching my daughter but expect she’s too young.

She is 7 years old, about 65 lbs. She first learned riding a OneWheel, then the MTen3. She prefers the MTen3 for the agility, but likes riding both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

My daughter learned in three 1 hour sessions spread over the course of 3 days.

Very happy for you! Great family hobby. 

• Like 2

I am the last one that would be considered worthy of preaching safety. After all, I am an old guy that refused to grow up ... at least grow up enough to pass on the fun instead of participate.

For me, I felt confident enough after a month of daily practice to be out and about riding around the town. But like others have said here, I controlled my risks by avoiding car traffic, and overly busy bicycle trails; choosing quieter back streets, etc. Now, it has been just under a year and a half, and confidence is reasonably high now that I know I can navigate most terrain obstacles, watch and listen for traffic, an so on. I don't drop the wheel anymore unless I deserve to by doing extra goofy things.

I like the way @That Guy spoke about confidence on another thread ...

On 5/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, That Guy said:

Riding an EUC requires a strange balance of confidence and concentration. If you are overly confident you may find yourself unprepared to what's coming your way, but if on the other hand, you think/stress too much then everything you practiced alone in the night (tennis court, football field, playground, etc.) with confidence suddenly becomes all too hard to repeat in the daylight at the traffic lights in the middle of the town... :-)

I do try to stay within self-imposed limits - mostly regarding speed, and at the same time finding and pushing on that delicate balance of risk - vs - safety in other areas of riding in order to progress (except speed or high jumps because gravity and inertia are not kind to an old 240 pound man) . I find myself agreeing with Duf here. You can jump to 10:20 to get to the meat of it.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone some great baselines for me to measure my progress! 

I started another thread that asked for some tips and tricks and posted my progress here

Next thread to look for 'Upgraditis' although I know I'm getting ahead of myself :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, That Guy said:

7. Ability to feel connected/"integrated" with the wheel - 1000km+/700miles+.

That's the main one right there. 
That was my main goal, to be able to drink and smoke while riding effortlessly.

• Like 2