Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

6 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Yeah absolutely. The entire motor as a replacement cost 270$. Ill save the 200$+ in shipping costs time and hassle and just buy the backup motor if im unable to replace the 20$ bearing. Now i have new bearings a backup rim and a nice hub motor that just needs a bearing replacement for a 70$ difference.

If a rider has the skills and tools to do what you are suggesting, couldn't he just send just his motor back, and not the whole wheel, since he has great warranty?

Should people not buy from eWheels then?

Bless you for finding a pair of new Begode T3 bearings replacement for $20. Really appreciate it if you could share the link.

Plus you can find a local mechanic capable of replacing the bearings on the cheap if you cant handle the process yourself. You might need to ask around but its still way cheaper and faster than shipping it across the country  

Unfortunately,  I don't know of anyone who would do the bearings replacement locally for a T3 on the cheap. Have you watched the repair video posted by it-Monkey. I can't see it being cheap to get it replaced properly. 

Locally, I was invoiced $C270 for just the labour to replace the motor wheel assembly on a V12. This is a easy task on a V12. 

If your in the market to buy a wheel and your whant a v12 or s20 or whatever, saying wait a year or longer is the same thing as saying dont buy that wheel. No ones waiting a year to make a purchase 

This is probably a figure of speech, otherwise ShanePlanet may have something to say about that.

I can't say about the S20, but the batch 3 or 4, V12 should be coming a lot sooner. In fact, EEVEES current V12 stock should be batch 3, if I am not mistaken. (Their Black Friday Sale was batch 2.) It is just that the new driver board from inMotion is not ready yet.

I know that there are a lot of addicts out there. I get that. eWheels, EEVEES, and other dealers apparently have sold a lot of S20 preorders. And if someone bought from eWheels or EEVEES, perhaps it may not be that bad. But if someone can't wrench, nor be able to find a saint who can do good work for cheap, and can't get good warranty, it wouldn't be sensible to get the first batch. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

Must’ve run short of glue after assembling Afeez’s wheel! Might have been better had they given the gluepotted one to Ian, he’s one of the very few so far to take it off road and/or into mud, etc. Regional variations apply!

Edited by Freeforester

In Speedy Feet's video, he found one of the pedal screws came lose. A lot of thread was exposed. But he was able to use his fingers to screw it back in. It seemed doubtful that there was much thread locking compound used. Or the pedals were adjusted but someone fail to reapply on reassembly. 

Edited by techyiam

14 hours ago, EMA said:

a spring/coil suspension is better for heavy duty and big drops --> bike/skate park

for a general all round use an air shock will provide a better experience, it handle better small imperfections

Granted that air shocks has built-in strong non-linear action. But with progressive links, couldn't coil spring based suspension achieve similar small bump compliance performance too?

Edited by techyiam

I see Chooch had the aero-version (no front bumper, presumably already broken by an earlier tester), it’ll be good to see this aspect put to bed with the new bumper -shouldn’t take long to airmail a few out, presumably.

15 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Meanwhile like every reviewer says it feels very smooth riding on and that bumps on roads are hardly noticeable, so I think it's another case of worrying about a problem that really doesn't exist.

I hope so. I've noticed that the videos are very different than two years ago when the first suspension wheels came out. Back then it was all about slow motion footage of suspension working. Now it's about jumps and stairs and hardly any slow motion footage of suspension working on normal riding. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Meanwhile like every reviewer says it feels very smooth riding on and that bumps on roads are hardly noticeable, so I think it's another case of worrying about a problem that really doesn't exist.

Do you happen to remember what every early reviewer said about the S18 suspension?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Start at 14:32: Talks about feeling better at higher speeds with firmer settings. 

Start at 10:17:  Discusses suspension settings.

At 6:18, he called a coil shock as an air shock. Neither did they find the preload settings. Tuber's are too much in hurry to publish their reviews. Not enough time to learn all new features.

At the higher speed bumps hit harder and harder suspension is needed.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Eucner said:

At 6:18, he called a coil shock as an air shock. Neither did they find the preload settings. Tuber's are too much in hurry to publish their reviews. Not enough time to learn all new features.

At the higher speed bumps hit harder and harder suspension is needed.

To be fair, it is not clear the sag was off. Did they need to adjust preload to correct sag?

Jimmy did demonstrate the effects of the damping settings. I find that useful.

For the same bumps, traveling at a higher speed does indeed result in higher impact forces, and thus compresses the spring more. With higher suspension energy to dissipate, logically more damping is required. But when the rider comes down in speed with the same damping settings, the ride will feel firmer.

It is curious how others are reporting about 100km/62miles range of medium-fast riding and 44km feels very short even if you ride fast, so I don't know what to think at this point.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@enaon Both packs seemed well balanced enough balanced however, at least for now.
Even after a low & high rate discharge during this ride all cells seemed to keep close enough voltage.

But it's possible that this charger might never allow the BMS to balance the cells, so the imbalance will grow, allowing to fully test the capabilities of the Smart BMS 😄

@UniVehje yes he hammers the wheel fairly well during his tests, although it's still real-world use. We could also compare to 32 miles / 51,5 km on the V12, which is also a high speed wheel so more similar in speed. I'm sure Ian could ride faster off-road on the S20 than the V12 tho.

But still, S20: 120 cells, V12: 96 cells (same or similar cells), that's a 25% increase in capacity.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, yoos said:

I don't know how hard Ian rode the S20 (and for how long) but a crude estimate from wind drag alone [force~v2, power~v3] suggests that consumption (wh/km) doubles when stepping up from 50kph to 70kph [air-drag-related consumption ~ power/speed ~ v2]. So if we assume that the S20 was going 40% faster than a 1500wh 84V wheel throughout the ride, then the range should be roughly 75% of the 84V EUC. [2220wh/1500wh / 2 = 75%]. The S20 also has a fat off-road tire which might boost rolling friction. Wet dirt and puddles can also be energy-consuming [don't know if that's negligible].

Good point, knobby tire & mud will generate large amount of friction losses. Certainly not negligible. Imagine when you're riding in mud puddles on a bike 😅
Probably he was able to ride through the dirt faster than ever before on an EUC thanks to the suspension and best knobby so far in mud.

7 minutes ago, yoos said:

All-in-all I would not be so quick to blame short-range on the controller-motor combo. Any energy lost on controller/motor would be lost as heat. If we assume, e.g. going at 2500W and, say 20% was lost on the controller/motor, that would mean 500W worth of heating. I am not sure the S20 could dissipate so much heat. This estimate was just to point out that motor/controller inefficiencies should not contribute dramatically to the apparent range reduction.

I'm wondering exactly the same: where is all this energy dissipated!
As heat losses? The S20 can probably handle a lot with its all metal construction an effort to connect thermally the controller box to the left & right battery boxes. But at the same time we've learned that the S20 is running really cool.
Ian is a tall guy so he'll have aero drag on the higher end of things at high speeds.

13 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

Just wondering whether the S-20’s motor and battery packs are perhaps not so well ‘matched’ for doing a longer ride at speed in cooler climates

BTW on that it was really cool to see that the BMS handles multiple temperature sensor all over the packs as well as on its own MOS.
It has not been tested yet but I hope that it handles well over-heating condition as well as preventing charge when cells are too low in temperature.
Promising!

Also, in that case it showed that the batteries seemed around their sweet spot temperature during his ride despite UK winter, around 26℃ even when he was riding slower near the end due to titlback. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I'm wondering exactly the same: where is all this energy dissipated!

That's not what I meant :) I meant: if the controller-motor combo was inefficient (i.e. would be bad at transforming electrical energy into mechanical torque) then the energy losses due to that inefficiency would be released as heat. And that would be a lot of heat! This leads to the conclusion that the controller-motor must be quite efficient (as brushless motors typically are) and most of the energy is spent on drag. Drag very strongly depends on speed and hence speed affects range very much. The thermal (in)efficiency of the controller/motor might reduce the range by some 10%-20% at any speed, which is less important than the dependence of range on speed itself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1