Fire History

Asphalt

• 2 weeks later...

Reported Nikola fire.
From the photo, it looks like there was fire damage to a bathroom. From the description the fire occurred 3 hours after being soaked, with the batteries being removed from the wheel and submerged in a bucket of water.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102391196972031/permalink/1163268637550953/

278568874_5123919157647011_3741554922894

14 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Reported Nikola fire.
From the photo, it looks like there was fire damage to a bathroom. From the description the fire occurred 3 hours after being soaked, with the batteries being removed from the wheel and submerged in a bucket of water.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102391196972031/permalink/1163268637550953/

278568874_5123919157647011_3741554922894

That looks like the same one that was posted a few months back? I get a strong sense of dejavu from those images.

Edited by Rawnei

It was a reply earlier today, to a guy who posted immediately after retrieving his Sherman from a canal; it was submerged. The rider was inquiring what he should do. So, yes, your de ja vu is probably correct.

Basically, everyone told him to immediately remove the batteries and quickly set them aside and wait for them to self destruct. Further, most opined that he should consider the wheel a total loss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, h00ktern said:

It was a reply earlier today, to a guy who posted immediately after retrieving his Sherman from a canal; it was submerged. The rider was inquiring what he should do. So, yes, your de ja vu is probably correct.

Basically, everyone told him to immediately remove the batteries and quickly set them aside and wait for them to self destruct. Further, most opined that he should consider the wheel a total loss.

I’d put the Sherman back in its box and fill said box with sacks of rice 🤣🤣🤣 😉 

😂...

I think I would try something too! The packs are toast, and likely the boards, but time elasped is everything.

It looked like he was out in the sticks somewhere, and I doubt tools where nearby. Certainly didn't look like a setting where shop tools could be found in a few minutes. Even so, once the packs were out, I'd be sprinting home to play Wiley E Coyote and taking everything apart to wipe dry. If I had a drum of rice, I would use it!

On a historical note, my five year old nephew was ripping on my modified JetSki, the engine cover dislodged, the engine bay filled with water and it nearly sank to the bottom. I got to it just in time, with about three inches of it's nose bobbing above the surface. It took all my swimming ability and strength to get that bitch beached on the shore.

Five minutes later, engine bay was dry, the plugs were out, and the starter motor was warm from driving the water out of the cylinders. I ran that bitch like a raped ape for the next hour and a half, trying to turn water to steam 😄 I still have it, twenty plus years later. It's in my garage now...

Oh yeah, another lucky aspect; my nephew survived. He was wearing my flotation vest and swam to shore on his own 😂

14 hours ago, h00ktern said:

Thanks for the additional information. Would you mind sharing the source?
Also, could you please clarify if the most recent fire was of the Nikola or Sherman?

• Upvote 1

Sure! The original post is on the Sherman Telegram forum. It was stated to be a Sherman, and the picture looked like one 😉. He didn't mention "Max" and the two pictures he posted showed the wheel on a dirt path, along the edge of what alpeared to be a pond, or lake. It seemed obvious how he tripped up and the wheel landed in the water, submerged. 

Oops. Sorry, relating to "the fire" - I would need to check what wheel was involved. I'm thinking you're referring to the "bathroom fire." The Sherman that slipped into the pond did not catch fire - last I read (yesterday evening.) If I see an update, I'll post it here for you.

I've read through the ENG Veteran Sherman/MAX Telegram chat to better understand the context of this information.

April 17

11:36 AM - Linas reports that an accident with their Sherman that submerged in a river.
Chat group members suggesting removal of batteries and storage in a safe place.
IMG_6270.thumb.jpg.b689a58b91b7cf9f16ccd31fa15b6391.jpg

11:48 AM - @Declan acoustic-unicyclist sends photos of his Gotway Nikola that caught fire in early Oct 2021, burning his bathroom, to show the seriousness of battery fires. (This had not been previously reported in this electricunicycle.org forum Fire listing)
IMG_6271.thumb.jpg.a35d04c0e56c49ef87ab6224c98cdf0b.jpg

12:33 PM - @FlyboyEUC messages about his experience with thermal runaway. It is unclear which wheel and when this fire happened.IMG_6272.thumb.jpg.92f51a23bcdc6f72e88e5231f2aa27ec.jpg

April 18

10:51 AM - Kevin Chan reports that a local Sherman rider lost a wheel in water, but after inspection found that there was no water damage and that wheel has had thousands of kms since the incident.

10:53 AM - Linas reports that the their Sherman has been dried out and delivered to local service for inspection.

Conclusion

1. There was no Sherman fire, only possible water damage, with the wheel currently being inspected.

2. There was a previously unreported Gotway Nikola fire in early Oct 2021.

• Like 3

If my wheel went in the water and was submerged I'd dispose of the battery packs safely and then keep the damaged wheel for spare parts as assuming I liked it enough to get another one of the same brand/model. Lots of stuff would be damaged by the water, but at the same time lots of parts would be just fine like the plastics, tire, rubber parts and non-corroding metal parts.

• Like 2

Another Gotway wheel. However, this one is a little bit different story. He already had problems on September 11, 2021. He got it to work somehow and now there was a fire. There are two types of information, firstly that he drove with only one battery and the other is that he replaced the faulty battery but did not investigate what caused the connection to melt. Now the wheel is completely burned.

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5027856273978962/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

Another Gotway wheel. However, this one is a little bit different story. He already had problems on September 11, 2021. He got it to work somehow and now there was a fire. There are two types of information, firstly that he drove with only one battery and the other is that he replaced the faulty battery but did not investigate what caused the connection to melt. Now the wheel is completely burned.

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5027856273978962/

Seems the post got pulled. Got any more info?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Why does the Jacob Larimer review appear twice? 

On different dates of January 27, 2022 and March 4, 2022?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2CZ2Q99VE17B0?ref=pf_vv_at_pdctrvw_srp

Reviewed in the United States on January 27, 2022

Bought an Inmotion V11 brand electric unicycle new from Amazon. Just plugged it in to charge it, no extension cords or anything, and it caught fire and burned our house down! As fun a this unicycle looks like it is, if you value your life and your home do not buy any electric unicycle from this company. Thankfully my wife, children, and I escaped the fire with our lives, though just barely.

Since posting this review on Amazon, the manufacturer has been spamming my inbox offering to give me money to remove this negative review. Unbelievable!

Reviewed in the United States on March 4, 2022

Bought an Inmotion V11 brand electric unicycle new from Amazon. Just plugged it in to charge it, no extension cords or anything, and it caught fire and burned our house down! As fun a this unicycle looks like it is, if you value your life and your home do not buy any electric unicycle from this company. Thankfully my wife, children, and I escaped the fire with our lives, though just barely.

Since posting this review on Amazon, the manufacturer has been spamming my inbox offering to give me money to remove this negative review. Unbelievable!
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Why does the Jacob Larimer review appear twice?

The reviewer spammed the Amazon listings, including products that aren't a V11. It doesn't appear that he's a happy customer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Reddit thread does some investigation into the Jacob Larimer InMotion V11 fire which includes a Zillow listing with photos of the fire-damaged house:

I'm going to include it in the EUC Fire listing, unless someone can provide a good reason not to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This story of a house fire caused by recharging bicycle batteries in Florida, dated March 23, 2022.

Seems very unusual that a house destroyed by an EUC fire does not seem to have been reported in the news.

Television news coverage as well.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/fire-guts-orange-county-home/ZEGZVZAVYVH5JP4E5J5WDO6O44/

March 23, 2022 at 12:12 pm EDT

Firefighters: Electric bike batteries spark house fire

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — A fire that ripped through an east Orlando early Wednesday was likely caused by batteries on a charger, according to Orange County Fire Rescue.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2022 at 2:30 PM, Asphalt said:

It is unclear which wheel and when this fire happened.

It was a KS 14s and it happened early 2021. It was submerged for a couple minutes in fresh water. The wheel wouldn't turn off but the motor never engaged. I disassembled it when I got home and removed the batteries. I dried everything best I could but brown water gushed out of the battery packs when I squeezed them. Shortly thereafter I heard the sizzle and saw smoke so I submerged it in a bucket of water and took it out to the parking lot so it could explode in a safe area.

• Like 3