Another fire!

RetroThruster

I'm also waiting for the Sherman from this batch.

Quoting eWheels:

We regret having to report that upon opening our shipment we discovered that either a Gotway RS, Nikola, or spare battery pack had started a fire inside the shipping container. Approximately 20% of the goods have been destroyed, while the remaining boxes have varying degrees of surface discoloration and some charring. 

The LA warehouse team is working their way through to assess the damage, which products will be suitable to ship, reboxing, etc. While the exact cause of what happened is under investigation, based on the evidence on hand it was a Gotway 100V Wheel (the battery on the MTen3 is different). Other manufacturers in this shipment, such as Inmotion, King Song, & Veteran, have more sophisticated battery BMS cell monitoring, casings, & battery manufacturing practices to minimize the likelihood of this type of event.  

It is a most unfortunate situation that may have been a lot worse. At a risk/statistical level, there are many tens of thousands of Electric Unicycles out in the world, with only a handful of incidents of a Wheel catching on fire. This does not diminish the fact that something caught on fire, but the numbers are there for context. 

If you wish to continue with your order, the plan is to have the good boxes shipped out over the next few days. We also understand if you prefer to cancel/refund the order. Please bear with us as your order is one among a couple of hundred in this shipment which we're trying to get through as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience,

eWheels Team

Photos of the damage:

https://i.imgur.com/MDI8JGd.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/so9udxp.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/fEaGCNN.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/psKltRf.jpeg

• Like 2

Update from eWheels:

The latest update from LA is that they found a number of the RS 19" Wheels powered on, from the factory. This is good news, it gives us a bit more certainty as to the cause that led to this event & is less likely to be a spontaneous combustion scenario.

• Like 2

"Powered on" may not mean that transport mode was disabled though. Transport mode is supposed to prevent the motor from running.

Do Begodes not power themselves down when left unattended for a period of time? Guess not.

Edited by Tawpie

I am waiting on a V11 that was supposedly in this container as well.  After this, and many other things I've seen I would never buy a gotway wheel. Was looking forward to getting my V11 this week or early next week but doesn't look like that's happening at this point. 

• Like 3

Damn, gotway is taking a beating lately. Their latest disasters are perpetuating even more bad publicity.  Even if untrue, this can't be good for the bottom line. Yup, its official, Im parking my euc against a block wall away from the flammables.. Yo gotway, I hear Veteran may be hiring in the future. Anyone know how to operate a broom? The glue guy definitely need apply!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I would be wary of accepting any wheel with any degree of smoke damage from this fire.  Who knows if those soot remnants could be a health hazard your bringing into your house.  If you have small pets or children i would play it safe and wait for a clean wheel

Man i can't wait for someone else to take over as the #1 fast wheel provider so we can finally repress the name "gotway" to the darkest, most traumatized, parts of our minds... Literally the only  reason i went with the gotway rs this time around instead of the Veteran sherman was because of the axle motor of the Veteran where i much prefer hollow. But i suspect and hope this will be my last time voting with my wallet for such a spectacularly incompetent euc company. 

• Like 1

I am still unsure if I want anything from this batch as well. But I am sure not much soot got inside the boxes. I am only concerned with things that would be too close to the heat. I'm sure ewheels wouldn't send anything out that was that close the fire. It does feel like there should be some kind of a discount for wheels that were in this sort of accident. 

I am glad they are telling everyone and being open about it. They could have just not said anything. 

Edited by Fiori
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Really? Perhaps just don't lick the wheel and store the box away from the humidifier:D.  I would be more concerned of radiation that could be present in everything we buy. I wouldnt worry about a little leftover soot and ash. As a trucker, you get to see how industry really works and how dirty and contaminated our world really is. I guess it depends on the extend of damage, but surely a sealed box that survives with the contents unburned, won't be much an issue. If i noticed an odor, I'd ask for a discount and air that bad boy out at 30mph down the street.

Yeah i wouldn't be that concerned about myself so much.  But a small child or animal may not be as careful.  If it was wood ash i wouldnt think twice, but burnt plastic and lithium soot? Thats a different ball game just in my eyes.  It may be scientifically proven to be harmless, but i would act under the assumption that it was toxic until proven otherwise. 

I'm sorry for the folks that could potentially be delayed in getting their RS's:(  I'm waiting on the Sherman so I'm good but still, this is the last thing we need to see...  I am hopeful that more stringent QC will be put in place after this, whether packing or assembly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

RS is the fastest wheel .... Ill never buy Begoode again. Why did the Sherman ppl leave  ?  Makes u think does it not? 

It does make me think.. 

as well as how long the Sherman has really been in the works.

what technicals does the Sherman have that gotways don’t care to put in the wheel. 

EUC riding to work at arrival boss is saying: 

1. "Oh you are the guy riding with a firebomb between your legs ..... could you park it outside (the county) please?" 
2. "Are your balls fried yet ?" 
3. "..... Teach My mother in law that " 

Anyways maybe the problem occured if some wheels were not in transport mode and started to rotate in their package? Maybe its not a Gotwya thing ? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eucVibes said:

Did Gotway plan this to sabotage the Sherman shipment! ::Alex Jones Voice::

haha. I doubt it, this is a publicity problem for gotway. It could have been something so simple as a wheel left powered on by accident. Perhaps a pack solder joint jostled. It could be something that has very little to do with design and just a brain fart. Maybe it was just one wheel made on friday afteroon around 4:00pm, with a hungover dock worker putting it on the pallet first thing monday morning. Stranger things have happened. Whtever the cause of it, 42 is surely the answer.

• Like 2