Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

I like my Sherman. It serves its purpose well. Seems silly that the other vendors have not explored roll bars or exoskeletons to protect their products as it is nice to make a mistake and not have financial repercussions.  

• Like 2

I like mine too. However, I've yet to test the roll bar. Not much for battery protection in the Sherm. I have a feeling its about as likely to take damage and need repair as my 18L would. Those darn 'smartie' shaped wheels sure do take a pretty good hit without damage. Of course, they aint 80lbs of hi-speed cube either! I'm in no real hurry to test the durability of a sherm. Ima let other testers crack at it first :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Yeah, not happy by any means, but I need to protect my ability to use these vehicles. 

front lights, rear lights and reflectors all around.. I think I am in compliance LOL. 

Nope, missing the horn and e-brake.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Yeah, not happy by any means, but I need to protect my ability to use these vehicles. 

front lights, rear lights and reflectors all around.. I think I am in compliance LOL. 

Nope, missing the horn and e-brake.

You totally need one of those long air horns on the front. If you leave the trolley handle just barely up, THERES your ebrake... :)

• Like 1

There are 12V or 24V horns, you can grab main power, use an DC-DC to convert to 12 or 24 and connect the horn ( I would suspect the 12V for front and rear light are not ready to take the power demands of the horn). Would be awsome to carve around the corner and introduce yourself with the sound of such a horn, also you can freak out any dog which is there ready to engage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a awesome wired horn that was part of a rechargeable light that died in a tumble. Oh well.

On a side note I have been approached by multiple pedestrians asking if I was on a Veteran/Sherman... Don't like it, would rather stay under the radar LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wife needed oatmeal. Grocery store is 6 blocks away. Agreed to go get it. Things go south here -

Check train schedule.

Wait 30 minutes, Wife organically gets madder at me for being me LOL.

Leave, hop on train and head north to the next city for a 20 mile ride back around dusk.

45 minutes / 1-2 bars later arrive at local market. 

I can see why my Wife is mad.

Update - I bought the wrong type of oatmeal.

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Wife needed oatmeal. Grocery store is 6 blocks away. Agreed to go get it. Things go south here -

Check train schedule.

Wait 30 minutes, Wife organically gets madder at me for being me LOL.

Leave, hop on train and head north to the next city for a 20 mile ride back around dusk.

45 minutes / 1-2 bars later arrive at local market. 

I can see why my Wife is mad.

Update - I bought the wrong type of oatmeal.

Excellent. I guess you'll simply have to try again tomorrow...:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally did it and dropped the motor out to swap the rim, hangers and tire/tube. I put this job off for several months, but having to drag a 80lb paper weight with a flat tire got the fires going. 

It is a pain in the donkey, but bearable. Full disclosure - I had to step away and come back several times to prevent tools from flying. One episode ended up with me ripping around the neighborhood on my MSP in the rain (I prepped it for winter so not that reckless LOL).

Observations -

Break down was straight forward

Everything stayed together well once disassembled (I have to tape the batteries on my other wheels)

Well built

Crap part -

image.jpg

image.jpg

Blue cable's insulation is completely gone going into the axle. Yellow cable is split and almost/already in contact... damnit. Quick fix followed by a new motor I imagine. Trying to block it out right now. Will deal with it tomorrow LOL. 

Edited by gon2fast

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Finally did it and dropped the motor out to swap the rim, hangers and tire/tube. I put this job off for several months, but having to drag a 80lb paper weight with a flat tire got the fires going. 

It is a pain in the donkey, but bearable. Full disclosure - I had to step away and come back several times to prevent tools from flying. One episode ended up with me ripping around the neighborhood on my MSP in the rain (I prepped it for winter so not that reckless LOL).

Observations -

Break down was straight forward

Everything stayed together well once disassembled (I have to tape the batteries on my other wheels)

Well built

Crap part -

image.jpg

image.jpg

Blue cable's insulation is completely gone going into the axle. Yellow cable is split and almost/already in contact... damnit. Quick fix followed by a new motor I imagine. Trying to block it out right now. Will deal with it tomorrow LOL. 

Yeah, mine looked suspect from factory, right there. It was a horrible hack job during build, and the de-sheathing was done with looked like an axe. THEN it went into a hard bend. All my insulation looked somewhat intact, but I wrapped it like a mofo with tape too. Damn, I had all but forgotten about that. Now you got me thinking I need to open the wheel again and recheck the tape and see if anything looks amiss.

Motor is toast. No warranty (yet it is a known issue and within the year time frame. Actually it was reported shortly after receiving the unit). I have to buy a new motor at retail. As a result I am pulling all deposits and sitting on what wheels I already have for the the time being. Maybe I should sell them all and find a new hobby...

• Like 1

oooof. bad news. On the good side you found it before it killed the control board and the MSP is working... and the 16X. But DANG. Nobody asked me, but melting or shredding insulation is a design/manufacturing defect and should be a warranty item, pretty cut and dried in my eyes. Another reason to open these things up regular like.

5 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Motor is toast. No warranty (yet it is a known issue and within the year time frame. Actually it was reported shortly after receiving the unit). I have to buy a new motor at retail. As a result I am pulling all deposits and sitting on what wheels I already have for the the time being. Maybe I should sell them all and find a new hobby...

Nah, dont sell em all. Its a crapshoot man and the more times you roll the dice, the more times youll get good and bad. I'm limiting myself, as its just too much damn maintenance and worry for me. It takes me a few months to comb thru a new wheel and gain confidence in it at all. I'm just boring I guess. I find myself lucky with the 3 kinds I have and I think I shall wait until next spring to heavily consider buying a potential headache.

Knowing that I will have to repeat everything again infuriates me. Had it been a cheaper device I would have solved it then and there by smashing it into a million pieces, but all I got to do was walk around pissed off with a big frown. This was the kick in the ass that made me realize that I don't need a new wheel. I need to retrofit the crap builds that I am already sitting on. 

On a positive note, I already have money invested in another wheel so I can move some of that over and get the motor without impacting my finances. Also, what originally took me 5-8 hours (factor in some beer/frustration breaks) should only take 1-2 hours moving forward. 

I bought six small storage boxes (for erasers or paper clips, that scale) with locking tops to manage all my screws and bolts. Everything was accounted for when I reassembled and I also wrote post-it notes with instructions and threw them in the containers as well.

Last thing, the motor covers are a pain. I only removed one side when I dropped the motor from the old rim. What caught me off guard was getting the cover off of the bearing. Most of what I had seen online focused on breaking the seal from the outer edges of the motor. Needless to say, when I got the cover free from the motor and it did not go anywhere I was left scratching my head. Lesson learned.

39 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Nah, dont sell em all.

I was planning on selling my V8 and Tesla around Xmas before this debacle. I don't ride them so time to let them go.

• Like 1

Just so I have this clear...that motor wire insulation thing just 'happened'?? You're kidding right?

Just the sight of that fills me with utter fear.

Looks like I will be pulling a panel to have a look. Never seen insulation doing that before unless its extremely old (years and years) and gone brittle. Maybe Sherman owners need to be pumping the area full of silicone? Insulating that area in the normal manner with tape or heatshrink would be next to impossible what with the lack of space.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Just so I have this clear...that motor wire insulation thing just 'happened'?? You're kidding right?

Just the sight of that fills me with utter fear.

Looks like I will be pulling a panel to have a look. Never seen insulation doing that before unless its extremely old (years and years) and gone brittle. Maybe Sherman owners need to be pumping the area full of silicone? Insulating that area in the normal manner with tape or heatshrink would be next to impossible what with the lack of space.

Mine came new with a slight point of worry. Its how the builder strips the wiring. It looked like a rat had chewed the outter sheath off. It needs be done in a precise manner, as the bend is right after the axle. To make it worse, if you have to repair a tire (or more), you have to pull the cable thru the plastic at a hard angle. Its just a BS solution and it was made worse by build practice. I sincerely hope they aren't shipping new motors with compromised inner sheathing. I'd inspect VERY carefully and keep sending them back, until one arrived with proper wire sheathing removal at proper depth. I dont recall, but I think I alread squeezed rtv into mine and THEN wrapped with vinyl. Theres so little room tho, and my wires were almost mangled INSIDE the axle a hair. THIS is asctually the worst thing I found. Sherman has 3-4 problems, this motor crap is at the top of the list.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

I found the damage after I took the covers off after the first month of ownership. The blue and yellow cables were split with wires exposed, but not in contact with one another. During the motor removal the cables shifted and I found that that insulation was cooked and was barely shielding the two cables with exposed wires. I am pretty sure that if I had been able to get the wheel up and running in its current state it would have only been a matter of time before it blew up.

New motor ordered. eWheels showed me some love on the final price so kudos to Jason McNeil and his team. 

Looks like I may have cracked the inner portion of my old rim, but it could just be the paint. Going to take it to a tire shop and see if they can true it

big dent - 

image.jpg

little dent -

image.jpg