Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

I've been considering the 'upgrade' for my first batch sherm. However, I've yet to have an issue, aside from pretty bad pedal dip during single lane 180's. Damn pedals hit the ground constantly. Still rides great at speed tho. Im wondering if giving up on the nylonove  and investing in this, would obtain me some more clearance. I do think spiked pedals will help keep me on the wheel in those hard lean turns tho. I wonder if changing the rim could also become a snafu and break what isnt broken...  Its good to have choices at least, and the rim upgrade isnt all that costly. Is the new and old motors EXACTLY identical and its just rim changes? Im curious to know if anyone has ridden one side by side to compare.  Quite a bit of effort to change a motor around, only to find 1cm increase in clearance. Are you having problems from your sherman, or did you just buy it for 'in case'?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I invested in the "upgrade" because most of my crashes are due to the low pedal height. Rim was not a concern, but going to swap it since I have it. The motor seems to be the same across all versions. I have no rush to install these parts as my Sherman works great (rider needs to pay more attention though LOL).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

I invested in the "upgrade" because most of my crashes are due to the low pedal height. Rim was not a concern, but going to swap it since I have it. The motor seems to be the same across all versions. I have no rush to install these parts as my Sherman works great (rider needs to pay more attention though LOL).

Good to hear. I went ahead and splurged on the rim and hangers myself. Kind of costly, but ANY improvement in safety or useability is worth expense on this kind of wheel. Mine works fine, so this is more of an ocd/farkle thing I guess. Damn turnarounds eat my lunch constantly and its aggravating as hell. Im trying to find out what bearings Adam installed and if the stockers are mediocre quality and worth replace just for shi** and giggles. Dont forget to have at least ONE tube handy. Murphys law states that if you have no spare, you will need one before you're done.:furious:

Keep me posted on how it turns out. Hopefully motor spacing isnt tough and the chinesium bolts allow us to work on it at least once. I will be UBER pissed if my 'upgrade' results in a non-working wheel, or a rim that rubs. Keep notes of just how big a sledge hammer you ended up using to beat it into submission...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Took a swipe at the hangers this evening before turning in. Long story short, I aborted after finding that I would need to remove a lot more than the side panels. I would rather ride it than have it in pieces. At least I know that it is a multiple hour job now.

Truth be told, I am not going to do the hangers because I rode my V11... 11 miles today and really like having the variance between the pedals.

As reported it is a very well built wheel from inside out. I had a little dust in the inner shell, but nothing like my MSP. Going to open up the other side tomorrow and continue to get familiar with the inner workings. 

FAIL, but a good experience otherwise.

• Like 1

Yeah, rim swap is not a minor ordeal from what I can tell. I'm betting I'll have to sacrifice a socket for it as well. If i didnt have another general purpose wheel, I wouldnt bother atall. I'll be working mine over with a comb and slowly. At least I'll KNOW its been assembled with utmost care and ignorance when I'm done. The more I ride the sherm, the more I enjoy what its good at. Fiddling with tilt and tire pressures is starting to make it a 'custom' ride.

Thanks for confirming what I figured... its gna be a total pain in the ass!

• Like 2

That was just the hangers! I imagine dropping the motor/rim would not take much more effort after the hangers are off. It is well built so it should be straight forward, but obviously not a 45 minute job (for me). Plus, power was still connected so I did not want to play around too much and risk frying my wheel (been there, done that LOL).

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

I was able to obtain a deep socket to alter. It cost me $8 at the local big box store. A medium size breaker bar would have run me an additional $15, but I already have a multiple. Add in a screwdriver or two and a set of Allen wrenches and I think that you have everything for the job... and some of that goo that ShanesPlanet was talking about.

socket.jpg

crap, almost forgot the tire levers - very important.

tirelevers.jpg

Edited by gon2fast

Excellent! I have torn thru so many of those blue tire tools. DOnt forget the platic milk jug to cut protector plastic strips :)  My rim aint due for a couple days, and Im now on the fence about trying out a different tire. I dont fancy doing this often, so I may stall out as Im still contemplating on the tire. I also need to swap tire and pedals on an mten, comb thru an 18XL, and replace a scooter rear hydraulic line. I guess after turning wrenches for 50+ hrs a week, one tends to not want bother at home... for the rest of their lives!! Keep me posted how it works out and if you notice any ride changes!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I feel you brother, too many projects at one one time.

rebuild.jpg

I started in on rebuilding this guy to motivate me to update the Sherman when I hit the wall with the dirt bike. Hit the wall and nothing has happened LOL.

• Like 1

Oh man, thats a nice lookin bike. See, I was smart. I combed thru my drz with a comb when I got it. Well, i didnt got ALL the way and mess with the suspension. THEN I found the euc game. So, my bike sits looking freaking marvelous and hardly gets started. I don't plan on making a regular habit of farkling on my eucs tho. Half the love of the euc for me, is the simplicity of NOT having to break out the tools. Of course we are looking to replace an old worn out 4 wheeler. I traded a toyota mr2 for it. He crashed the car, we've had the 4wheelr for a decade. We want another 4 wheeler, but they are all stupid big nowadays. Its either stupid heavy and big, or a tire you out race bike. Honestly, I was pondering if maybe I should start looking at the childrens 4 wheelers? You got an opinion on that? WHat you got left on the old bike? My favorite of all time is the Honda xr200. Its like a lovable comfy toy. I still wish I had one, but it just was one too many toys and I narrowed down to a single bike (oh the horror), so it HAD to be streetable and dirtable. ENter the drz400sm. Half assed on both...

Lovin the thread derail, as its your thread and Im just here to provoke you. Hurry up and cuss the sherman swap, so I can laugh and know what Im heading for...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Back on subject, installed the Chicway "semi-adjustable" pedals tonight and they are a game changer. I thought that I was going to have to wait to install the updated hangers to get an improvement on handling - NOPE. 

Unfortunately I am very interested in the tire that ShanesPlanet just mounted so I guess I will leave my tools out LOL

It can't be all good of course:

- the spacers do not work well to address the space between the hanger and pedal (spacers provided are too large)

- Pedal magnets do not align or are not strong enough to hold pedals up against shell

chicway1.jpg

chicway3.jpg

chicway2.jpg

• Like 1

Pedal issues resolved - 

Pedal Rod Spacers  - running two 5/16 flat washers to address the slack.  

Pedal/Shell Magnet -

1. Added a small square of magnetic tape to shell

2. Reversed pedal magnet (started loosely attaching to shell magnet, but re-applied magnetic tape for additional security)

chicway4.jpg

Edited by gon2fast

Dirt bike is back together again. Cut the shroud cover off of the gas tank after several failed attempts to salvage the hardware/plastic. Oh well, job done. Can safely kick on it tomorrow - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

Need to get off the knobby tire now that I can carve. Too mushy to get/hold a fast turning line. I exaggerate, one can do this fine with some practice, but it would be automatic with a street specific tire (originated/discussed in ShanePlanet's rim swap post).

9 hours ago, Meserias said:

gon2fast: that pedal angle it's way too aggressive for a VS
in my humble opinion, with that pedal angle destroy the pleasure of riding this wheel

No Sir, it has improved the experience tremendously (IMHO). I can corner and maintain speed, general turning radius is much tighter and there is more real estate for my feet so I feel much more attached to the wheel versus using the slim stock pedals. 

Plus I prefer angled pedals to flat in general so it works out good for me, but I respect your perspective!

Edited by gon2fast

Just rode it to the grocery store, nothing lost, only performance gains (IMHO)!

Still adjusting though. Adding some additional traction in the bare areas of the pedals

- Smart Step on the outer corners

- Mob Grip grip tape on the inner section (over the Chicway logo LOL)

Smart Step fell right the he!! off (front only, rear are fine). Grip tape it is.

Next project  -fix the split wire casings leading into the axle. My re-seller suggested coating the issue with RTV. That warranty ain't worth a chit.

motor-cables.jpg

going to wrap them with color correct electrical tape and apply the goop...

pretty sure this issue was supposed to be resolved, but I rarely pay attention to detail LOL.

• Like 1

Goop first, then tape. Or just simply goop. If yu tape first, the rtv wont stick as well and the tape eventually loses its ability to stick. CUrve them to shape, squeeze a bunch of rtv into it in a blob and let dry. Be sure to PRESS the rtv into the area as if you're packing a bearing. You want it to squish into the broken jacekts. THen top it off with a nice glob as well. Mask off the case or remove the motor, so you dont glue the case to the wires. THEN apply tape to protect the rtv. SOmetimes I wait for the rtv to cure, then tape it. You can cut the rtv with a fresh blade if it needs shaped before a tight tape wrap. Think of it as a custom insulating grommit. DOnt need tight tape pulling those wires together tightly on wet rtv for sure. Let the goop become the spacing fill. You could think of the 'goop' as a liquid wire sheath.. Sheath then tape..  My thick sheathing looked hacked to death and too short as well. None of my inner wires were effected. I wrapped the crap outta mine with vinyl tape just to be safe. IDR if i mentioned it in my rim swap vid or not. Mine was a v1 motor. Maybe the newer arent so bad?

Sucks to see this and sorry to hear about your dealer experience. I'll keep it in mind in the future for sure!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Thanks ShanesPlanet! It is a real blessing to have this type of knowledgebase in the community. See what progress can be made when we put sown our fan boy shields LOL.

I kid, I enjoy the banter on the new/future model postings.

• Like 1