Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

looks like a big ass crack to me….

gawd. what is wrong with me. I read that as if you were talking about an overweight plumber.

but yeah, that looks like it'll make a nice base for a new end table.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Its how the builder strips the wiring. It looked like a rat had chewed the outter sheath off. It needs be done in a precise manner, as the bend is right after the axle. 

Ah right so the motor wire originally has an outer sheath that contains all 3 wires, and in the process of removing it the fitter is damaging the outer insulation that surrounds each of the 3 wires? Crazy.

I guess the monkey is either using a stanley blade or pair of snips rather than scoring it and then using a proper pair of wire strippers :furious:

13 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Looks like I may have cracked the inner portion of my old rim, but it could just be the paint. Going to take it to a tire shop and see if they can true it

big dent - 

image.jpg

The dent is probably recoverable but that crack looks nasty! Could possibly weld it up but I dont think I could ever trust that much heat being near the magnets..

• Like 2

And the struggle continues...

Received my new motor today. Took about two hours to complete the job this time around. New issue - flat tire. Repeat everything again LOL. First motor is still good. My issue was a loose connector, but with the exposed wires as they were my time was running out so I don't feel bad for replacing it. I now have extra rims, hangers and a motor (going to fix the wiring issue and get the OG rim trued and maybe throw a street tire on it for quick swaps).

image.jpg

This is 1 hour into it - ready to reassemble

image.jpg

Back up and running after resolving loose connector issue

image.jpg

I bagged and labeled my hardware this time around and it worked out quite well

I guess I will be breaking it down again after dinner.

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 2

Back together and running without issue. Ironically, I replaced the tube with the failed patch with a different tube with a patch. I sprayed Flex Seal on it so I think it will hold. It took 2 hours for the tube change. 

The bags are a life saver for me as I have a natural talent for losing hardware. I also use a pencil box with magnets glued to each corner to keep things separate and secure. 

5 hours ago, gon2fast said:

And the struggle continues...

Received my new motor today. Took about two hours to complete the job this time around. New issue - flat tire. Repeat everything again LOL. First motor is still good. My issue was a loose connector, but with the exposed wires as they were my time was running out so I don't feel bad for replacing it. I now have extra rims, hangers and a motor (going to fix the wiring issue and get the OG rim trued and maybe throw a street tire on it for quick swaps).

image.jpg

Nice Crosser in the background!

And bagged items in a magnetic dish - man after my own heart there.. :)

Back together and running without issue. Ironically, I replaced the tube with the failed patch with a different tube with a patch. I sprayed Flex Seal on it so I think it will hold. It took 2 hours for the tube change. 

The bags are a life saver for me as I have a natural talent for losing hardware. I also use a pencil box with magnets glued to each corner to keep things separate and secure. 

It does feel different with the new components. A bit sluggish (off the line) as compared to the original setup, but handling has been upgraded. 

• Like 1

Back in business. I completed a 40 mile ride earlier this morning. Like the new feel, the first few days were a bit challenging with getting used to the pedal movement at a slightly higher height, but that seems to be a thing of the past. I was a bit concerned that I would not make it the entire way back as I have noticed that my battery has been depleting faster (because I can go faster with a non-damaged rim!!!), but I made it without issue. Forgot to mention that I did a small portion of this ride seated. I figured out the technique  a few weeks ago, but I am still shaky with taking off. Stock seat worked better than I thought it would once I fixed the position of my feet. I can see this being useful in high wind situations, but I am not a fan of the decreased visibility by others when in the seated position. I almost got hit by a biker who decided to come around a corner in the opposing lane. Startled us both needless to say LOL.

Starting Percentage - 90 (idle)

Ending Percentage - 40 (idle) 

Distance - 39.7 miles

Terrain - Paved roads with a handful of hills. No off road

Average Speed - Somewhere around 25mph

Operator Weight - 256lbs + 10lbs worth of gear

Edited by gon2fast

After some time I am really enjoying the new configuration. I am at a point where I am seriously debating the need to keep my MSP (16X will fill the torque need with fresher batteries to boot) as the Sherman is my primary wheel now. Pedal height change has been substantial for me. Carving and high speed cornering coupled with the elimination of the narrow rim/tire hop has changed this wheel. 

Another thing I appreciate is the lowered noise of the knobby on the wider rim. Originally I thought that the new motor was running smoother, but it was that the tire is better seated and expanded to proper expectation.

complete randomness - 

Sold my V8 today and the most exciting thing about it was that I got it to fit in a backpack (with all of the accessories too)!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Was much nicer than trying to trolley a second wheel while riding.

• Like 1

So how much did you sell the custom bag for?

Those power pads on your sherm make me cringe. Oh man you deserve something better! Did you try to squeeze rtv into the spot where the wires had gone iffy? Yeah I know, janky as hell on a critical spot on a vehicle with 1 wheel. I agree, i think they used a hungry rat or a box cutter, to remove the vets motor wire sheathing. Did the new motor look liek the same rat was used, only not as hungry?

I used to bag and label everything. After a decade in the shop, I either quit giving a crap, or learned to spot what's what, with some semblance of order. I still take pictures of wire looms and such. Digital cameras make it so much easier, but less fun, than sketching shit out on carbaord with a greasy fingertip.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

@gon2fast I am sensing a story about the V8. It is obviously a local sell. Who was riding it when you owned it ... you? ... wife? ... kids? Will you / they miss it?   Then, who is the new owner? A new rider or experienced rider wanting a spare wheel?  Need some details, just because!

On 11/11/2021 at 1:59 AM, gon2fast said:

I am at a point where I am seriously debating the need to keep my MSP (16X will fill the torque need with fresher batteries to boot) as the Sherman is my primary wheel now.

These are tough decisions! :confused1: I don't know exactly how your brain works (or even mine). But when I ride a wheel, I think, "This is nice ... why don't I ride this more often?".

If I were to think about selling one, I would have a hard time of it. To me, each one is a primary wheel for something!

P.S.  I cried when I saw the video of Marty letting go of the Z10.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Scottie said:

P.S.  I cried when I saw the video of Marty letting go of the Z10.

Me too, I was a little surprised he'd let it go. The Z10 is just so unique I could not see me letting mine go anytime soon!

Got mine completely stripped at the moment to change the tire (after 9,500kms) and it still amazes me how the internals still to this day makes even the most recent EUC's look so shoddily thought out and executed!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

The V8 was my second wheel. Shortly after getting the V8 I stumbled upon a V10 and the V8 has been sitting in the corner ever sense (I got to 775 miles). Once I got my MSP there was no going back to a wheel of that size. Still charged it on a regular basis so the battery still goes up to 100% / 84.25V. 

The V8 and my Tesla sales will cover the remaining balance on my Abrams and also get some batteries out of my garage, though I think these older wheels were built a bit better than today's offerings... from a certain company at least.

Hurts to let it go, but I would rather someone ride it than for it to rot in my garage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

These are tough decisions! :confused1: I don't know exactly how your brain works (or even mine). But when I ride a wheel, I think, "This is nice ... why don't I ride this more often?".

The V8 has really flat pedals which annoys the heck out me. My thought was, "how did I ever ride this thing...". Jokes aside, it was a solid beginner wheel to learn on. I had my wife and daughter on it for a bit, but they can suck it up and ride bigger wheels now.

JK, I snagged a 14D for training purposes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

I am sensing a story about the V8. It is obviously a local sell. Who was riding it when you owned it ... you? ... wife? ... kids? Will you / they miss it?   Then, who is the new owner? A new rider or experienced rider wanting a spare wheel?  Need some details, just because!

Sold to a new rider who was a very nice guy. He did a lot of research and we had a wonderful conversation during the transaction. Look forward to some offroad missions with him once he upgrades after the learning phase. I gave him a pretty good package - low mileage wheel, 2 chargers, extra tire and a cover. He is good to go for a while.

Wife was a bit annoyed as my daughter used to ride the V8, but she has a 14D now. 

Sold to fund a Abrams. 

MSP will be the next on the chopping block...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

So how much did you sell the custom bag for?

Those power pads on your sherm make me cringe. Oh man you deserve something better! Did you try to squeeze rtv into the spot where the wires had gone iffy?

I got the backpack at a local discount clothing store. It is a Quicksilver beach backpack. It came with wet bags, a towel to stand on and a massive amount of storage space. It would easily hold a pair of Mten3s. Kept the bag as it is great for grocery store runs.

The wheel came with pads and a seat so I figured I should mount them. I don't use them for riding, hence the very low positioning. They are mainly there to protect the sides of the wheel (impact on pedals and pads versus pedal and top of the case/battery). I believe someone reported that the pads actually protected the wheel from the BMS failure issue. Wishful thinking at best.

I did try RTV and made a royal mess of it when I tried to reinstall the motor. The connectors were so gooped up from the factory that the hall sensor was not getting tightly seated which led to errors from the board. I ended up replacing the motor and have been happy ever sense... well, other than the tube puncture from the tire swap that leaves my Sherman with a flat when it is not in motion (yeah, I carry an air compressor with me everywhere I go!!!)

• Like 1

Euc vibes posted a vid thurs. of a nik in a backpack being delivered as well. I put my 16s in a pack to deliver a motorcycle this summer, but the wheel rested on the pillion, so it wasn’t too bad. I can’t imagine trying to ride a wheel with that kind of weight in a pack on my back. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After a month of having to fill up the tire before every ride I finally killed my valve. I have a backup tube that is patched and sprayed with several coats of Flex Seal, but I should probably get a new one to puncture during installation.  

35-B26-C78-9-AC8-4-AA0-8-DF7-624-C1-D2-F

I should probably get the board for the V11 while I am ordering parts.

CF370-E03-A140-4874-B3-FC-625738671-E88.

That thing is going to be a pain in the ass to put back together (2 months later), but look at the new Pirelli! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No progress on the failed tube. Have a functional tube sitting on the work bench, but have not found the motivation. Forget a new wheel, I need to get my two downed wheels back on the road before I break the two wheels that I am currently riding. 

Goals for 1/22-

Sherman - replace tube, paint roll bar & add waterproofing 

V11 - replace motherboard & try to use all parts during re-assembly.

MSP - install C-186 & maybe get rogue trolley handle screw out of top chamber

On a side note, I saw this picture in the 2/22 issue of Thrasher magazine and had to smile  -

image.jpg

• Like 2