Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

Nice overview of your experience. I only have about 60 miles on my sherman. It's my first wheel and I'm still learning. Went on a trail yesterday and fell off the thing. Sherman took no damage.

I'm constantly playing with pedal angle and the modes. I was on Hard for a while, it seems to offer more control while cornering but at the expensive of more exaggerated input with my foot to keep speed.

Just now I went back to soft mode (I started out learning on soft) for a ride on pavement. It's more.. fluent.. Braking also seems to work better, it's like the wheel buffers some of the stopping motion.

I figured out that -2 PA allows for easier mount / dismount but not two weeks ago I was convinced that +2 offered those very same benefits. Bit lost with the pedal angles I'm afraid :)

Still.. It's an awesome new way of transportation that brings me to places I would've never been. a Wandering Wheel

Here's why I fell, remember, things are still new to me. I came off a dirt trail and had to cross a wooden bridge. Where the bridge and the trail connect there is a 2 inch gully. I remember thinking: "Crap, I'm doing 15mph, that gully seems deep and how slippery is that bridge going to be?"

Which means I was emptied of all confidence and immediately started to question my stance, point of attack, stopping power on potentially slippery boards and down I went when I hit the gully.

I went down because I doubted myself and stiffened up completely.

I got up, went back and attacked that transition again, swimmingly.

Stuff like this is still very new to a noob like me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A while back Vee did a review on the EX. During the review she stated that she almost fell when the wheel hit a rock or twig. I found that rather odd, but did not put much thought into it. Well, same thing happened to me yesterday, but I went down (hard).

I was returning from a quick grocery run and was transitioning from the parking lot to a walking path. I was going around 5-7MPH and was not distracted. I hit a small piece of tanbark, it shifted the wheel and one foot washed off. Considering that I was not going fast and was somewhat aware of what was happening I was able to roll when I hit the ground which I think saved me from additional injuries.

It was a hard impact, but after the initial pain went away I only ended up with a scraped knee and a sore hip... and my beer got shaken up which was a pisser.

Ran into a weird issue this morning while attempting to charge. After plugging in the charger and connecting it to the wheel I noticed that the charger fan did not come on. I took a closer look at the wheel and saw that the LCD panel was displaying an error code (no con). I tried to unplug the charger and re-seat the connecters and still had the same error with no charging.

At this point in time I felt it best to put the wheel in the backyard away from the house until I could troubleshoot more.  

The error was obviously related to a connection issue so I started to inspect ports. I gently blew out female connector on the charger (unplugged of course). The charging pins on the wheel were clean and undamaged. I decided to give it another go in the backyard and fortunately it started to charge normally. 

My only thought as to what may have happened is that I may have gotten some debris into the charger's female connector. I was able to successfully charge my V11 and MSP using the same outlet where I experienced the error code on the Sherman.

It would be great if we had a list of all of the Sherman error codes and their meanings.

https://ibb.co/2Wv6fWc

https://ibb.co/k32CYHZ 

• Like 1

The Sherman lives up to its name. Damn wheel dumped me over a blind tree root in my front yard tonight and I could not be more thrilled. 

Weird sentiment, but the point is that I have crashed/ejected my Sherman several times with minimal consequence.

That there is the big advancement in EUC technology - crash and ride away with a wheel in one piece. 

• Like 1

Im glad you're doing the crash testing. Its a beast of a wheel for sure. I'd say its on par with a lot of other euc flavors, but its got a unique recipe too. I enjoy the built in screen. It just seems more a vehicle when its capable of standalone readout. I approach the sherm as if it were a motorcycle of mine nowadays. The others in my arsenal don't have this distinction. Shhh, dont tell the cops I said that, as there's helmet law in this state....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

To be clear, this wheel has kicked the chit out me as well. All ejects/crashes result in lacerations from the pedals (so thin and sharp  LOL). I actually caught a deep laceration a few weeks back right at the point where my shin makes contact with the pads. The ride back to the car sucked, but I still enjoyed it! 

Folks, don't get caught up in the comparisons because all of these wheels are unique. Find the wheel, or wheels, that best suit your needs based on non-biased reviews/testing.

• Like 1

Ironic that I was ALMOST gna pull the trigger on a monster about 9 months ago. I decided against it, as I was leery of investing so much into Gotway quality. Ffw to now and I happily ride a sherman. SO i guess the answer to your question (for me) is: Nope, the sherman IS my mega monster and Im good to go for big ass wheels for a while...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I was at the market and had a weird experience with the LCD display. I was trolleying around for 10-15 minutes, normal dinner run. Nothing out of the ordinary, but when I got outside of the market and went to transfer my groceries to my backpack I noticed that the LCD screen was blank. I had propped it against a wall so I assumed it had shut off for some random reason, but it was indeed still balancing itself when I grabbed the trolley handle. I pressed the power button in normal power off protocol and it turned off. Turned it back on and everything was fine.

No issues since then. Weird, but going to keep pushing it! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

1200 miles. My favorite wheel in the pack. Balance, power and battery. Plus, I have hit the ground 10+ times on this wheel and no cosmetic damage thanks to the roll cage. 

Think I may hold out on my next wheel purchase until Veteran announces it's next model. 

The negatives are:

- the roll cage takes me out if I turn into my front lawn north of the big tree too fast

- tire seating/balancing

- charging errors (resolved)

- all of my accessories breaking when it goes flying LOL

Edited by gon2fast
user error
  • Like 2

I hear the only real upgrade coming for the sherman, is a beer can holder, windproof lighter and flask compartment. After months of marketing analysis, they realized that an upgrade was needed. If you specify its a first wheel for a new rider, they also include a pack of diapers for when you 'sh*t yourself':pooping:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I like heavy wheels. I have had to turn back on my other wheels and retrieve my Sherman for several long distance trips in windy conditions recently. Has me thinking that the EXN would be a good investment (torque tuned heavy wheel that can give me the ceiling I need in the 40+MPH range).

On a side note, has anyone else triggered alarms at low speed (1-3 MPH) while making tight turns? I had to make a quick 180 degree turn to get back on a sidewalk and mid turn the wheel started beeping. 

My Sherman is arriving in May and this thread was quite entertaining and very detailed. It was really nice to hear about your experiences with the Sherman and only has me more excited. Hopefully people in my area are a little nicer. I live in the college part of my city so I mostly just drunk idiots yelling when I ride by.

I have to know though, how did you black out the rim on your Sherman? That seems like an awesome mod and I'd love to do it to mince once it arrives.

Most people in my area are pretty positive about my wheels, but every now and then you run into someone with a negative reaction. I have learned to find the humor in the negativity so it does not get under my skin and ruin my rides anymore. 

Black rim - Stripped down Marty Backe spray paint job. In Marty's instructional a lot of blue tape was used to cover the tire, hangers, shell, etc. I did that the first time around for my MSP, but have adapted to making cardboard cutouts that I tape to tire and shell. I do not recommend this method, be patient and tape everything up. I have reflective  black bicycle rim tape on my V11 which works well. Lots of options on Amazon. 

The laziness continues, I have been trying to return my gray MSP rim to black with a handful of painter pens. Might be done by July.

One suggestion to a new owner - if you take the Sherman to the trails and any carrying of the wheel is necessary have a backpack to put your roll cage (RC) accessories in or leave them back. If you do not have access to the RC for lifting the wheel over stuff your ride instantly turns into the worst kind of back workout.

• Like 1

Question for other Sherman owners - 

If the wheel shuts off while on the charger (after several hours of charging) does that indicate that the packs have been balanced?

Charger had green light of course.

It always bothers me when people make sweeping statements about products that they do not own.

A guy broke his Sherman rim post stair riding and the Veteran haters want to say that the Sherman is weak... GTFOH. 

EUCs are not made for bombing staircases and jumping. If you choose to do so understand that your wheel is going to suffer consequences from such behavior sooner rather than later. 

After seeing that mishap I decided that it was time to check PSI. My Sherman had dropped to 14.5 from 28psi. Probably explains the low speed pedal dipping issues I have been experiencing recently.

• Like 1

That is a good way to look at things, I will keep that in mind if I ever run into any colorful individuals. The worst that has happened to me so far has been when I got pulled over and told that my MSX was a toy vehicle. I just agreed and rode off on the sidewalk like instructed. Haven't been stopped since.

Thank you for the painting tips! I just watched his video and will look into doing that with my Sherman once I get it. I

was thinking of getting a riding backpack but I think that finally pushed me over the edge.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:21 AM, gon2fast said:

A guy broke his Sherman rim post stair riding and the Veteran haters want to say that the Sherman is weak... GTFOH.

Is that the same guy who rode it down a flight of stairs on a flat tire and ruined his rim

if so, that was just him being dumb in my opinion.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:21 AM, gon2fast said:

After seeing that mishap I decided that it was time to check PSI. My Sherman had dropped to 14.5 from 28psi. Probably explains the low speed pedal dipping issues I have been experiencing recently.

Exactly, I ride down stairs on my MSX. I understand that it's not good for my wheel but I run my wheel around 40 PSI. I understand that it is probably going to damage my wheel but it's something I enjoy so I will continue doing it.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 1:10 AM, gon2fast said:

Question for other Sherman owners - 

If the wheel shuts off while on the charger (after several hours of charging) does that indicate that the packs have been balanced?

Charger had green light of course.

I sure hope so, as thats the behavior mine shows. SHerman powers itself off after a long time of the charger cycling at low amps. My guess is the charger is 'balance' charging until the wheel turns off. Once the wheel shuts off, the charger remains dormant.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Voyex said:

I understand that it's not good for my wheel but I run my wheel around 40 PSI.

Maybe the additive with additional PSI broke the rim... The rim moved fine before the work around was applied... just throwing it out there (IMHO) and do not use whatever that was LOL.