Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

On 12/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, gon2fast said:

I don't want to be seen as a nuisance in the community so I will stand down when possible, but there is no doubt that I will have some form of self defense protectionĀ on me for the next timeĀ a jack ass wants to chase me in a car.

Side note - when I got chased I called 911 during the ordealĀ and theyĀ basically told me that they could not help because I could not give them a street name. "I am telling you that someone is chasing me in a car and you want me to slow down and get a street name, no thanks, I will handle this myself..." Sad, but true.

Ā 

Yeah I live between akron and cleveland ohio and there are very few eucā€™s around Iā€™ve not seen and I will definitely be carrying come spring time ..if Iā€™m going to spend over 2,000$ on a wheel no way imma get robbed for it without emptying my magazineĀ 

22 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Yeah I live between akron and cleveland ohio and there are very few eucā€™s around Iā€™ve not seen and I will definitely be carrying come spring time ..if Iā€™m going to spend over 2,000$ on a wheel no way imma get robbed for it without emptying my magazineĀ 

Iā€™d just laugh and ask them if they want to drag a 60lb anchor around with them. Itā€™s not like most people can just get on one and ride away.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

ā€™d just laugh and ask them if they want to drag a 60lb anchor around with them. Itā€™s not like most people can just get on one and ride away.Ā 

All of the folks that have shown negative interest in my wheels have been on some type of drug. You can't apply common sense to their thought process. Personally I carry a stinger tool (whip) or nunchucks in the case that I need to get out of a hairy situation. Keep in mind though, a good run is better than a bad stand.Ā Ā 

23 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Wouldn't a non-lethal can of bear spray/mace/carolina reaper be better?

Yeah Nah šŸ˜‰ itā€™s better to take the trash out or they will just be robbing someone else the next day .Brazen afternoon robberies happen all the time these youth donā€™t respect anything .

7 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Yeah Nah šŸ˜‰ itā€™s better to take the trash out or they will just be robbing someone else the next day .Brazen afternoon robberies happen all the time these youth donā€™t respect anything .

I would have to agree. We have backwards thinking district attorneys in my area who feel that criminals should not be held responsible for their crimes.

• Like 1

Back to repairs, I replaced the valve core last night. It was a pain in the rear, but I got it done (yeah, I suck LOL). The wheel has held air since last night so I think I can ride it again (with an air compressor in my backpack of course).Ā 

"Why don't you just fix the thing properly?"

- because this is the worst time of year for me financially - Xmas, Daughter's birthday, Wife's birthday and then Valentine's day. Not looking to spend money right now so I am going to have to figure it out with tape and bubble gum.

• Like 1

How do you gauge psi with those devices, is it measured by the mechanism that releases the air? I would also have to make sure that I can wedge that device into teh wheel to access the tube, but worth looking into. Thanks!

Ā 

Maybe carry one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Pencil-Pressure-10-75PSI-Vehicles/dp/B07X8GLGK3/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2CSJH75KV79C7&keywords=tire+pressure+gauge&qid=1641593911&sprefix=tire+pressure+gauge%2Caps%2C899&sr=8-6

AstroAI Pencil Tire Pressure Gauge (10-75PSI) Stainless Steel Body and Metal Made Nozzle 3 Measurements for Vehicles (2 Pack)

$7.95

61GmcyIe4dL._SL1500_.jpg

41spyMs+4cL.jpg

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

How do you gauge psi with those devices

you kind of have to use your thumb, go a bit harder than you eventually want then use the air gauge to bleed as needed. And be careful, they get FREEZING cold (like, frostbite your hand cold) when they're discharging. The little green neoprene sleeve on @Paul A's link is actually important.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

I may venture over to the bike shop and check it out. Besides the portability I am sure these little units don't put off the loud noise that my compressor does. My biggest concern is whether or not I will be able to get the unit attached to tube. We will see!Ā 

a street tire sounds nice too... I would like to re-invest in the wheels that I have since they all run good (until I work on them LOL). Every new wheel is $3000+, weighs half a ton and is still built like crap. Time to work with what I have and be a fan on the sidelines as the new wheels come out.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

You neednt use tools when putting the last bead on the rim. Just use a little soapy water on the tire and rim. Even that last few inches should nearly fall on. If you do need tools, its just that ONE spot and you need triple check the tube aint under the tool. Brute force and careful are always a tough combo. Just be sure the part of the tire thats already on the rim (opposite the last little tough bit), is pushed down past the bead into the deep part of the rim. :)

Always double and triple check the inside of the tire casing. Same with the rim. I mean flashlight and get down on it, check. Run your hand and feel it baby, feel it. Idr, but i may have even put a rim protector strip from a used tube, under my Sherman. Prolly not, but i wouldnt hesistate, if the aluminum was cast poorly or had corrossion.

Fwiw, I've been using the same cheap ass tire gauge for years. IT works because its consistent, not accurate. I only bother to check when its low enough that ride quality makes it obvious. It only takes a cpla feet and a cpla bounces to know if it aint right. No need micromanage it with an expensive gauge. Come to terms with your favorite pressure by just choosing one and knowing how it feels as you ride. I once tested myself. I aired the sherm up 10psi more than my favorite. I went on a ride and let air out from time to time. I found the sweet spot and checked pressure.... EXACTLY where I put it when I bother to check. It told me I still prefer that pressure and made me realize that we can be quite accurate by mere feel alone. One tire, 2 pedals......

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I am usually pretty good with tire levers, but I got sloppy with my last swap. My frustration lead to a hole in a brand new tube (dumbass). I eventually got the tire back on by setting the levers down and using some muscle.Ā 

Good tips SP - folks, pay attention to this man.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

I am usually pretty good with tire levers, but I got sloppy with my last swap. My frustration lead to a hole in a brand new tube (dumbass). I eventually got the tire back on by setting the levers down and using some muscle.Ā 

Good tips SP - folks, pay attention to this man.

Been doing it since I was a kid (tubes). Hell, we used to repair the tubes. Even now, it still happens, a tube ruined before you finish putting it on. It doesnt happen often, but enough that I always buy 2 tubes the first time I need one. Then I buy one each time I get a flat. Keeps you one tube ahead to prevent shipping wait and/or if you screw up the first one.. Now with shipping costing the price of a tube, may as well buy 2. Yes, I have some spares laying around I never used. I look upon them with fond memories and don't even sweat the wasted $$. I actually view them as success.

I am also going to keep the wheels I have and simply focus on keeping them working. I've been meaning to look at the 18XL mosfet sink compound for the last 3 weeks, as with tightening the mten axle (again).Ā  Its always something....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1