Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

Another project that was completed during the tire change was that I plasti-dipped the roll bar so now it is primer gray. I also removed the battery packs and initialed them on the backside. I did this in response to the report of the V11 in NYC getting stolen. I figured that the two items I changed/added will help validate the wheel is mine if it is ever stolen.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Then I was on back and my first thought was to check on the BBQ chips.

My 1st thought is ... if your first thought was about the chips, then you must have been mostly OK ... a good thing. :efefd0f676:

My 2nd thought is ... if I was in your place ... my 1st thought would have been to look around to make sure nobody saw me, then to check the chips! :laughbounce2:

Again, glad you are okay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I went out to get some snacks for my kid's lunches earlier this evening and had made it back home without any issues. Minimal gear - full face motorcycle helmet and two tall cans in my rear pockets for the ride home. I usually pass by my driveway and cut back across a little hump between two trees in my front yard. Never an issue. I make the turn which is almost 180 degrees and the pedal start dipping. Nothing out of the normal, I just continue to ride it out as go over the hump. As I am lightly accelerating I overlean the wheel with the pedals already dipped and end up chucking myself across the front yard.

I had a bag of BBQ chips in my hand (RIP) that played a very important part after the fact. Most folks like us know that a EUC crash is like getting struck by a bolt of lightning in most cases. Completely unexpected, usually one only has time to quickly curse the situation and then feel the impact. That was the case tonight though I don't remember flying through the air, the impact or sliding. I just remember my feet being off of the wheel after riding off of the hump and saying WTF. Then I was on back and my first thought was to check on the BBQ chips. The bag was completely blown open on one side. It felt like the entire thing was compacted down to a small amount of crumbs. I am still laying in my front yard with a wheel also downed in the middle of the yard (with headlight and flashers on). I opened my eyes and got up. I had blindly felt around and found the former bag of chips so that was in hand when I went into the garage to inspect myself. Left shoe and pant leg had hefty grass stains. No physical damage. Helmet was clean of any impacts so I felt good other than my pride. 

When I went back out to fetch my wheel I noticed that there was a large pile of BBQ chips near the walkway which is rather far from the trees/hump. I felt like that was the general area where I picked myself up from and did not put too much thought into it. As I got back to my wheel which was probably 15 feet from where I ended up I noticed a second pile of BBQ chips. I assume this was actually the first point of impact for some part of my body. 

If I remember correctly the last Sherman crash in the front yard involved a hard turn onto the lawn resulting in a pile driver via pedal bite. 

At the end of the day I overpowered my wheel not thinking about the terrain and shot myself across the front yard. Don't do what I do. 

The chips would be fine. Potatos grow in dirt, get handled by dirty workers, fried in old oils, placed in toxic bags and shipped on dirty trucks. For the price of these chips, I would expect nothing less!

Are you sure its a cutout problem you are facing, and not merely a pedal dip issue? I have heard of people mentioning how they overpower the sherman regularly, but I simply havent. When I get down on mine, I can hear it chug and feel it loose a little smoothness. It still hasnt dipped or dropped me. Hell, my mten makes the same complaints when its happy. I DO have pedal dip tho, and thats no lie. Its nothing like it was, before I did the chip update, but its not gone. Sometimes I wonder when my big NXL pedals will eventually catch front, JUST from going uphill with pedal dip. Tbh, I was going to sell my Sherman when I first got it, as the pedal dip was a deal breaker. Luckily, they released a FW (via chip) that made it barely tolerable. I do enjoy my wheel, but I still think its a LONG way from having the best of all euc ideas and them being executed perfectly. Isnt it wierd how one euc company gets something right, but the other companies can't figure it out, even years later? WTF are they doing over there? Obviously they need to work on stealing the RIGHT intellectual property.

Fwiw, falling on a bag of chips is valid. If you aint got a bag o chips, you aint atgatt! Just be thankful you didnt go for the pretzel sticks....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Potato chips are not all the same.

Frito-Lay had a patent on a particular potato seed.

Lower water and sugar content.

PepsiCo/Frito-Lay sued four Indian farmers for using its patented seed in 2019.

India revoked the patent in 2021.

https://www.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1S21EL

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/india-revokes-patent-pepsicos-lays-potatoes-2021-12-03/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Are you sure its a cutout problem you are facing, and not merely a pedal dip issue

I know it did not cutout as the unit was still on once I decided to get up. I figured that I over powered it applying pressure post hard turn on a very slight incline. I had similar behavior a in a previous situation where I was waiting for a traffic light to change. I turned the wheel 45 degrees with one foot and started to push it up a small embankment and the pedals dipped super hard. I thought the unit was going to fall forward, but I was able to take my foot off and stabilize it with my hands. Oh well, chit happens. 

11 hours ago, Scottie said:

My 2nd thought is ... if I was in your place ... my 1st thought would have been to look around to make sure nobody saw me, then to check the chips! :laughbounce2:

Part of playing dead for a little while ensures that onlookers will have concern versus snickers. I can then jump up and shout, " I meant to do that!" -PW Herman

• Haha 2

The Workmate is great and only cost me $40 shipped. I need to figure out how to attach some baskets to the sides to hold my crap as I have sent a few tools/hardware flying navigating around the unit.

• 2 months later...

B03-CCAF4-CC82-47-CC-8250-2-BB53-DE58-AB

My "questionable tube" gambling caught up with me again today. I have been having weird issues with psi for a couple of days, but I am stupid and did not think to investigate further other than re-inflating the tube and going!

My luck ran out several miles from home while trying to get my Wife's van new tires. It was a major fail because I sensed the problem shortly after dropping off the vehicle and I made it to a train station that could have taken me minutes from my house, but I did not understand the scale of the problem. I got swarmed by a group of nice people who had a lot of questions at the train station and I had to leave after 15 minutes of getting grilled. Plan B was to have lunch across town and roll back a short distance (3.5 miles). 

I filled up the tube at the train station (15 psi at the time) and set off. I made it to my lunch spot without issue riding in the bike lanes at around 20mph. I ate at the restaurant and after leaning my wheel against the railing all PSI was lost. After that I could hear air coming from the valve and could only go about quarter of a mile before losing all PSI (no slime). 

I limped my way to closest auto parts store and bought a tube of 90 minute instant gasket goop. It held enough to get back to the tire shop, though I did have to refill the tube halfway there (1.5 mile). 

Holding now. Will order a new tube one day. I put some more goop on it... should be good now.

Edited by gon2fast

These might be helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/LEZYNE-Control-Drive-Gloss-Size/dp/B0744JW2MF/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?crid=31CNO13AHKUT5&keywords=tyre+co2&qid=1653200882&sprefix=tire+co2%2Caps%2C749&sr=8-17

Bicycle C02 Inflator & 16g Cartridge, Presta and Schrader Compatible, Compact, CO2 Bike Tire Pump for Mountain, Gravel, and Road Bikes

image.png.78dad8479382ace0114ba99ef7137736.png

On 5/22/2022 at 7:02 PM, Dosingpsychedelics said:

You should always slime your wheels

I used to and found that Slime did not help much with my tube damage (valve damage, large slits, etc.). I am not saying that it does not work, but I do not deal with it anymore. I guess that I prefer to walk around with a unusable wheel instead of being able to ride slowly with a work-around (I am a Taurus, I only listen to me). 

I finally broke down and changed the tube. I would not recommend the $25 tube available at Amazan. It is very light and slightly smaller than the stock or what one would get from a EUC reseller. It works for now. I want to switch the knobby for a 340A. I will probably do that in July and swap out the tube as well. Since my Master 1.5 is not expected until September I guess the Sherman with a street tire will be my new wheel for Summer 2022.

Anyhow, standard tire repair on the Sherman. Took about 1.5 hours. Hardest parts are always breaking the bead to get the tire off and routing the cables back through inner shell. 

Breaking the Bead - I have to fully deflate the wheel with a valve tool. I then squeeze the deflated tire together on the rim to break the bead and also get access for my first tire spoon. Once I get a section up I move in 2-3 inch sections with the second tire spoon to slowly get the tire off of the rim. Usually I try to rush it and space my spoons to far apart and get nothing accomplished. 

Routing the Cables Through the Inner Shell - I use some blue masking tape to attach all of the cables together and then fish them out and through with a Allen wrench or screwdriver. Trying to do them individually either goes very quickly or does not work at all (I let out a loud "phuk" during a work call messing with the wires and promptly blamed it on my cat).

Knocked my container of screws off of the work bench of course - start with a magnetic tray. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No tools were thrown or harmed during this repair LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Makes it look so easy

I remember this video from when I first got my 14D. I thought that the use of the butt of a hammer to reseat the tire was genius... until I tried it.

As far as the Sherman dropping the motor, fighting with the tire/rim and getting all back together* in 1.5 hours is pretty good for me. Usually I hit a barrier and have to walk away for a while, some times days or weeks LOL.

* Yeah, so I set out on a moderately long ride to my Mother in law's house earlier this evening. Once I got it off of the charger I noticed that one pedal was not staying up. Not having much time to investigate I wrote it off as I maybe had switched the sides  that the pedals were originally on and the magnets were not lining up correctly. I grabbed an allen wrench to resolve the issue once I got to my destination and left. As I was riding I noticed that my right foot was shifting around the pedal. Nothing major, but very abnormal. When I got back into town I had to ride on the sidewalks for a small distance. While waiting at a stop light my right foot shifted again when I went to turn and hit the crosswalk signal button. I looked down and immediately saw what my issue was, I installed the right pedal upside down so the pegs were facing the ground and I was standing on the smooth underside. I don't know how I missed the angle adjustment plates when I first inspected it after detecting the issue with the magnets. 

Pay attention when you work on your wheels folks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

I installed the right pedal upside down so the pegs were facing the ground and I was standing on the smooth underside.

Installed pedal upside down by mistake?! Thats brilliant :lol:

Don't worry, we've all done something as daft. I've not managed an EUC yet, although EUC related - I was messing about inside my charger the other day, checking some voltages. I am normally meticulous when faffing around with 240v, always turning the power off and on at the socket before I go anywhere near the appliance. But I got called to dinner, leaving it on. Returning from dinner, out of sync with what I was doing....and ZAP. Yet another 240 shock, not the 1st I have had over the years I might add :D

Good to see that the Sherman tyre can be changed without splitting the shells. I do wonder whether it would be easier to avoid the motor wire faff by doing so though. A bit like the MSX. Have you tried doing it both ways? I've not changed a tyre on the Sherman yet, I'm wondering what the best way is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

I do wonder whether it would be easier to avoid the motor wire faff by doing so though. A bit like the MSX. Have you tried doing it both ways? I've not changed a tyre on the Sherman yet, I'm wondering what the best way is.

@Planemo I believe that splitting the shells may add just as much faff, or even more as fiddling with the motor cables, unfortunately. The 2 air intake/outake grills are apparently a pain to get to stay in place, whilst trying to align the 2 halves on rebuild probably making for a longer job. I actually did not find leaving the shells bolted together a problem, as you can easily wedge the shells a little to gain more room to pull the cables through!

Come on, go ahead and get one of those Michelin's you've got gathering dust fitted to the Sherm, you know you want to!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, fbhb said:

The 2 air intake/outake grills are apparently a pain to get to stay in place, whilst trying to align the 2 halves on rebuild probably making for a longer job. I actually did not find leaving the shells bolted together a problem, as you can easily wedge the shells a little to gain more room to pull the cables through!

Yeah I do hear you re the 2 grills, and I don't believe in refitting screws/splitting shells unless really needed tbh, we all know that these EUC's dont like being pulled apart and put back together again repeatedly! I know the fixings on the Sherman are more stout than the MSX but still, I just don't like all the plastic surrounding the screws etc. Far better to leave it all alone if poss. But then I could say the same about the motor wires - I really don't want to disturb them, whether thats unbolting from the board or bending them about trying to feed them through the shell (twice). Decisions!

49 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Come on, go ahead and get one of those Michelin's you've got gathering dust fitted to the Sherm, you know you want to!

I know! I just can't make my mind up! Then @stephen posts about his newly fitted K66 which I am now very interested in. My problem is that I really don't do much off road/trail/gravel stuff but when I do I am really thankful for the stock knobby.

Out of the 2 Michelins I have the City Pro would be better than the Pilot Sport given it's virtually a slick, but the K66 seems a real nice compromise between all of them (which I don't have sitting around!). Aarrgh I just don't know what to do! Especially when I really don't find the knobby a problem for any scenario, but it just seems too chunky for what I need, and at the pressure I run (25psi) I'm sure the wheel would run smoother for longer with a more road orientated tyre.

• Upvote 1