Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

• 2 weeks later...

Damn work, didn't get a good ride in today. I opted for my old school V3 Pro route this evening and did the big oval that makes up the 6 blocks on my street. Started with the V11 as there are groomed trails across the street as well as several grass fields. Moved on to the MSP, hopefully knocked some trail debris out on some speed runs. Finally moved to the Sherman.

As I was dorking around and I had a weird observation. We are all familiar with the pedal dip via turning. Long story short, I found that if I initiate and control the turns on the Sherman with my outer foot only the pedal dip during the turn is eliminated and post turn dip greatly decreased. 

Or my mind could be playing tricks on me LOL.

Edited by gon2fast

On 6/4/2021 at 11:53 PM, gon2fast said:

As I was dorking around and I had a weird observation. We are all familiar with the pedal dip via turning. Long story short, I found that if I initiate and control the turns on the Sherman with my outer foot only the pedal dip during the turn is eliminated and post turn dip greatly decreased. 

Or my mind could be playing tricks on me LOL.

Could it have been that when turning with outside foot being more assist, you were not accellerating thru the turn as heavily? I know when I rail thru turns, my outside foot is in danger of being leveraged off the pedal. Its a dance of using everything, as you cant put a LOT of weight on a leg that is leaned outside the vertical alignment of the pdals.  Can't put a lot of wieght on the outside or the wheel wont stay leaned. Tbh, when I dive into turns, the vast majority of my weight is already being used to keep the lean. Luckily my power pads let me fake it, as i use the outside leg to push forward as there simply isnt much weight available thru the feet for forward input..

Edited by ShanesPlanet
they they're their... improper use makes me look dumber.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting this thing to the test tomorrow. Heading to my Mother in law's for breakfast and then heading home on my Sherman from a different city. Should only be around 25 miles.

On a side note, bought the wife a IWatch and some bone headphones for a race she is running in August. Hopefully that will deflect any complaining from my incoming wheel LOL.

10 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

On a side note, bought the wife a IWatch and some bone headphones for a race she is running in August. Hopefully that will deflect any complaining from my incoming wheel LOL.

If thats all it takes, I'd be more than happy to send you half dozen BS little trinkets for her. What color does she like? Youll only need toss me down one wheel for the ordeal too! Yup, chicks dig 'bones', you done good.:thumbup:

Enjoy your trip! 25miles on normal roads should be a breeze!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 10:11 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Could it have been that when turning with outside foot being more assist, you were not accellerating thru the turn as heavily? I know when I rail thru turns, my outside foot is in danger of being leveraged off the pedal. Its a dance of using everything, as you cant put a LOT of weight on a leg that is leaned outside the vertical alignment of the pdals.  Can't put a lot of wieght on the outside or the wheel wont stay leaned. Tbh, when I dive into turns, the vast majority of my weight is already being used to keep the lean. Luckily my power pads let me fake it, as i use the outside leg to push forward as there simply isnt much weight available thru the feet for forward input..

First off, send me an invoice for two pairs of US grade ShanesPads.

I am big fat ass so dipping on the Sherman is inevitable. As a heavy rider I have found that the Sherman does not like dual foot pressure during aggressive turning. I have been playing around with dual/single footed turning and the results are valid for me.

I let the pressure off of the inside foot on any turn and everything stays flat even with dual footed accelleration post apex.

• Like 1

I would LOVE to get you in a set. I got blue/red/black/orange/yellow/green in the ninjatek premium. I've got red/black in the basic. I JUST got in the epdm and other bits too. Fancy smansy with premade boxes. I was tiring of cutting down randoms for sure. I'll cut you a smooth deal as a first adopter too. Just shoot me a pm and we'll work up some agreeable details.

Yeah, the sherm takes a bit of weight and leverage to get it to lean at speed. Its not a bad thing, but its something that caught me off guard on my last 40mph loose turn. I watched a replay of why it went so badly. First, I was going WAY faster than I thought. The sherm just glides at 35mph+! Second, I think I waited too long to start the lean. Once in a turn and its pulling against you, its hard to make it come off upright. 130lbs aint much man to assist either. I'll try again soon and willingly start my lean PRIOR to the turn. Typically on a bike Im braking like a mofo until last moment into a turn. I think the sherm would rather brake sooner so you can ease up and get that lean started. We aint got no handlebars or tank at our n*tz to give us that quick yank ya know? Fwiw, the nylonove pedals solved the issue of me worrying about my foot being leveraged off the pedals. Even at stock angle (9degrees) or maybe 10degrees, my feet stayed planted. Even with nearly NILL weight on the outside foot. Id say that spikes just hang on as grip tape needs more friction/pressure. How funny that you can get her to lean over without even using inside foot pressure. I wonder if its ability or physique thats REALLY my issue? The pedals dont prevent wobble tho! Man I about sh*t my pants during that boff of a turn. I was leaning like hell and the wheel was just merrily going straight. I got a little turn out of it and BAM wobbles. The best part was that it started to warp time and I didnt even have to get hurt to see it! 

Anyhow, apologies for another long a** posting. Put that thing in the wind tomorrow and let me know if you experience the same or something entirely different!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, stephen said:

Just swapped my v11 for a sherman , loving it so far but only done 10 miles , got it yesterday evening

@stephen Congrats on joining the Sherman brigade. I'm sure you will be clocking up many enjoyable miles on your New ride!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@stephen Congrats on joining the Sherman brigade. I'm sure you will be clocking up many enjoyable miles on your New ride!

It's good so far feels it has a bit of suspension with the nobbly tyre ,,, very sturdy wheel

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stephen said:

It's good so far feels it has a bit of suspension with the nobbly tyre ,,, very sturdy wheel

Yeah, the knobby does allow for quite a bit of cushion and can be run at lower pressure as long as you're not a curb jumper and risking rim damage. I am around 85kgs + gear and have run mine as low as 20psi without issue, but have recently upped that to 25psi and still have plenty of comfort over bumpy roads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

So you joined the dark side in the end young padawan :)

Couldn't resist  it was a good deal,, done 36 miles tonight on the canal, let a bit of tyre  pressure out and the sherman was smooth I like how it stays planted to the ground

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Just got back and could probably do the same loop ten more times. 20 miles and only dropped one bar. I started 97% and was at 90% when I got home. 

Going to balance the cells tonight I don't think they've ever been done ,, there's a lot of cells to balance

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stephen said:

Couldn't resist  it was a good deal,, done 36 miles tonight on the canal, let a bit of tyre  pressure out and the sherman was smooth I like how it stays planted to the ground

Which rim are you using?

11 hours ago, stephen said:

let a bit of tyre  pressure out and the sherman was smooth I like how it stays planted to the ground

I run 23 in mine. I have the new rim too, no problems yet. I'm not convinced that running high pressures on the new rim is the right 'solution', in fact I believe it might be the opposite. A lot more stress gets transferred to the wheel when running high pressures. Yes it might be worse for curb edges, but for general riding the softer the better IMO.

My line of thinking is that it doesn't seem that many cracked rims have occurred due to kerbed edges...

You should be OK obvs with the narrower rim, in fact you may need higher pressures just to keep the tyre bead seated!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stephen said:

Old rim , I'm glad really after the cracking of new ones

My old and new have been fine so far. I bet its the same roll of the dice. Freaking alloys and specs are so damn loose. I wouldnt be shocked to find the exact alloy being used in both. Its not like we are expecting any of these compaines to all a sudden change their QC or spend MORE on materials. I wonder how many old vs new rims are in circulation by now? Fwiw, I run 20psi at 130lb rider on my new and stock OR tire.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Planemo said:

You should be OK obvs with the narrower rim, in fact you may need higher pressures just to keep the tyre bead seated!

@Planemo see my previous post where I mention also running lower pressures and my riding weight and I'm still on the narrower 40mm rim with No issues!  I do believe that @stephen is a bigger guy than me though, so he may need slightly more pressure.

Edited by fbhb

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Planemo see my previous post where I mention also running lower pressures and my riding weight and I'm still on the narrower 40mm rim with No issues!  I do believe that @stephen is a bigger guy than me though, so he may need slightly more pressure.

I'm probably about 210 lbs kitted up, think I'm on about 26psi it's just right not to soft or hard and I'm not a kerb jumper and most of my riding is off road so don't need it any higher

20210621_09381420210621_09382620210621_093840Screenshot_20210621-111443_EUC World

70% battery left and I climbed some hills today,, 25miles on euc world and 27 miles on wheel probably due to going round in circles here and there:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stephen said:

I'm probably about 210 lbs kitted up, think I'm on about 26psi it's just right not to soft or hard and I'm not a kerb jumper and most of my riding is off road so don't need it any higher

20210621_09381420210621_09382620210621_093840Screenshot_20210621-111443_EUC World

70% battery left and I climbed some hills today,, 25miles on euc world and 27 miles on wheel probably due to going round in circles here and there:D

Most wheels go around in circles :w00t2:

• Like 1