Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

I don't want to be seen as a nuisance in the community so I will stand down when possible, but there is no doubt that I will have some form of self defense protection on me for the next time a jack ass wants to chase me in a car.

Side note - when I got chased I called 911 during the ordeal and they basically told me that they could not help because I could not give them a street name. "I am telling you that someone is chasing me in a car and you want me to slow down and get a street name, no thanks, I will handle this myself..." Sad, but true.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I don't want to be seen as a nuisance in the community so I will stand down when possible, but there is no doubt that I will have some form of self defense protection on me for the next time a jack ass wants to chase me in a car.

Side note - when I got chased I called 911 during the ordeal and they basically told me that they could not help because I could not give them a street name. "I am telling you that someone is chasing me in a car and you want me to slow down and get a street name, no thanks, I will handle this myself..." Sad, but true.

Well, to be fair, they were right. If you cant tell them where you are, it makes it a bit difficult to come help ya. Ive always assumed that basic response times are long enough that its a 'best case scenario' for any help to not just be cleanup/paperwork crew upon arrival. Being chased is a children's game. Adults chase to either run you over, or catch up for a confrontation. Hopefully it was a kids game, but dmn man, where you riding? I'm way too paranoid for your environs, i'd be prepared for more eventualities than me simply falling off at speed. Good luck to you, it does make for an interesting read! Get that camera, good footage is hard to find and sounds like you will provide some eventually. :)

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If you cant tell them where you are, it makes it a bit difficult to come help ya.

I was in motion so I could only report the general area I was being chased around. The dispatcher wanted specific information about street and block number. Unrealistic requirements during the type of emergency I was in, they should have dispatched an officer to "the trailer park next to the only Target in my town" (IMHO) or use their software to track cell phone signals. I am sure we have all butt dialed 911 and had a dispatcher validate your location. I give no breaks for the services, or lack of, that my tax dollars fund LOL. 

In all fairness, I assume 911 is overwhelmed with C-19 reports and are not firing on all cylinders right now. 

The last time I interacted with a interested person in a car I ended up with a broken arm.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I was in motion so I could only report the general area I was being chased around. The dispatcher wanted specific information about street and block number. Unrealistic requirements during the type of emergency I was in, they should have dispatched an officer to "the trailer park next to the only Target in my town" (IMHO) or use their software to track cell phone signals. I am sure we have all butt dialed 911 and had a dispatcher validate your location. I give no breaks for the services, or lack of, that my tax dollars fund LOL. 

In all fairness, I assume 911 is overwhelmed with C-19 reports and are not firing on all cylinders right now. 

The last time I interacted with a interested person in a car I ended up with a broken arm.

Damn bro. Well, of course they have resources to help, but of course they arent going to dabble into using much of them. Expecting them to do jack shit that requires more than you telling them exactly everything, is a stretch. I wish it wasnt like that, but feel good in kniowing its not just a California thing :)The first resource they may be short on is  'give a f**k', fueled by lack of pay and unrealistic expectations. Having been served one broken arm already, I would think some personal protection measures should seriously be considered. Completely defensive and optional in nature at the very least. Sounds like revisiting the life and health insurance may be in order, should you keep riding in such difficult areas. Oh the plight of a man minding his business and rolling down the street. May be interesting to roll up on a regular joe cop on the street and ask HIS opinion of how to handle such events. I'm honestly curious to know what the general word on the street is about how it goes. Fwiw, youll get more REAL info from a local leo, IF you dont have a camera ona  stick or cell phone in your hand.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, gon2fast said:

Ran into some police officers while running errands this morning. They were very excited about the wheel. If law enforcement supports it I am not going to worry about the local mental cases and their complaints.  

Excellent. Still, be prepared for the nut cases anyhow. The law on your side doesnt really prevent you from being attacked.

7 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

late fall sherman?   I always fall early..... I have not heard anty substantial negative comments about this wheel except: Its too heavy. Ppl love it.  

Pedal dip :)

9 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

late fall sherman?   I always fall early..... I have not heard anty substantial negative comments about this wheel except: Its too heavy. Ppl love it.  

It is a great wheel. The biggest issue I have with it is the lack of a central handle, which is not a deal breaker. Pedal dipping can be a shocker at first, but you learn when to expect it.

Oh yeah, properly seating the knobby tire is a pain in the rear (WIP).   

• Like 1

Took on my daily MSP off road climbs earlier today on the Sherman. No significant issues*. During a couple slow/steep sections I could feel the motor "stressing" a bit, but nothing that would leave me on my chest lol.  

*In this particular park I have to cross a normally empty creek to access one of the climbs/trails. Some carrying/trolleying of the wheel is required to cross. It just rained for 12 hours straight so the creek was no longer empty so my options were very limited. The weight of the wheel came into play when I had to cross slippery wet rocks. 

1 boot got drenched lol.

All in all, a great day thrashing around in the post rain mud!

Pushing 500 miles and really questioning my other wheels. I am sure some will write me/this off as Veteran fanboy fanfare. Fine by me as most posters talk without actually riding the subject matter.

V11 serves no purpose at this point in time. Everything is handled between the MSP and the Sherman. Cushy ride is exclusive to the V11 (and maintenance), but not required.

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

I went super D-head with my front lights. Added a handlebar accessory bar and an additional light. The new light has a "130 decibel tweeter". Every hiker/mountain biker in my area has a pair of earbuds in so I needed a solution LOL.

5 Front lights - https://ibb.co/QjnK0F5

4/5 front lights - https://ibb.co/whZzQR6

The horn control is mounted to roll bar, but the idea is to have it in hand when around people -https://ibb.co/m6TZ1TR

With phone attached to front light - https://ibb.co/G9QB9bm

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 3

Figured out the mystery of my wobbly tire - bent rim. I have primarily been working on seating the tire from the side with the valve so I completely missed the damage when I was tickering with it last week.

While running errands earlier I had a larger piece of tanbark get wedged in the wheel and eventually explode out. A small piece got lodged between the motor and the case and proceeded to drive me absolutely nuts for the majority of the ride. Once I got it back to the house I put it on a work bench and started to inspect the inner shell for debris. While trying to dislodge the piece wood I saw a bump in the tire which led to the discovery of the rim damage.

When I reported the issue to eWheels they responded right away. They have 100 Sherman rims on order (different design that accommodates the knobby tire better). I opted for the 2X4 & mallet option to resolve the issue. I will probably pick up the upgraded rim when it comes time to change the tire.

https://ibb.co/3rhMQBb

https://ibb.co/B67B8xm

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 2

Wow, rim upgrades? I really need to ride and abuse my sherman more. It seems I'm not breaking it or noticing the issues soon enough and havent been keeping up with upgrades. Im still waiting on word about how the pedal height was implemented, as this is definitely an upgrade I'll install as soon as I can. What seems to be the issue with first batch rims? Are they of an extra crappy recycled paperclip alloy, or did they accidently use plastic paper clips in the dough? All i know is its definitely wonderful to have ewheels in my back pocket, to keep it all on the up and up. Thanks for all the info and updates!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Funny how many DIY diagnostics/fixes/mods we do to keep these expensive devices on the road LOL.

As far as eWheels, they have gone above and beyond yet again with this reported damage (no discussion of fault what so ever). You buy from eWheels and you will be taken care of (IMHO).

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 2

After repairing my rim I forgot to balance/seat the tire properly before inflating. The result was a tire substantial hop in it. I could not get it above 25MPH* without my lower torso shaking very considerably. I deflated the tire on Saturday and tried the manual seating process again. Once the tire seemed pretty even I could not access the valve. For the life of me I could not get the nozzle from my air compressor on the valve. I had to walk away from it for a moment before I was able to force the darn thing on. As a result of my efforts trying to get the nozzle attached to my compressor all of the seating work went right out the window.  

Once I realized that I was back at square one and I said F it, done working on it lol. Went on a lengthy ride later on that evening and found that the hop was limiting my speed again, but it was manageable. 

Set off to get lunch today and reached my breaking point with the hop. Ended up resolving the issue at a gas station mid ride.

Previously I had tried everything, BUT letting the tube do its job. After completely deflating the tube I loosely evened the tire around the rim and inflated it up to 45PSI. Checked the seating and it seemed to be as straight as it had ever been. Lowered it 20PSI and inspected again. Seal was still looking good so I pumped it back to 34PSI and the wheel has never rolled as smooth. 

*LK 25MPH = 23MPH real world LOL

• Like 1

610 miles.

Worth every penny. I do not feel the pedal dipping anymore. Higher PSI eliminated most pedal/shoe scraping. Tire seating issue resolved with minimal effort. 

I have found counter-steering* this wheel works well so I will be investing in spiked pedals in the future (probably DIY solution).

*counter-steering is a mainly associated with two wheeled vehicles so let me explain "my concept". I lean into the turn (at mid/high speed) with pressure on my outside foot, this controls the angle of the turn as well as helping keep the wheel upright. My inside foot is controlling the rate of speed/breaking and I use my upper torso to help keep the wheel upright. Makes for nice snappy corners versus being leant over and losing all of your foot pressure.

I guess I have one foot on the gas and the other foot on the steering wheel lol. 

• Like 2

Yup, outside leg locked in tight to keep the lean stable and inside leg pushing like hell to accellerate. It takes BOTH to rail these turns in my hood at speed. You can only use the outside leg on pads at all, as it takes getting outside the centerline with the inside leg, to keep it leaned with my measely 130lbs at 35mph. Usualy to accelerate the apex, i find my inside foot on near toes while my outside is leaning forward and into the pads.  It kind of feels VERY similar to sport bike turns. Even the twist on pegs feels very similar to me. I find it thrilling to be all over the wheel, as if it were a seat... Im also looking at spiked pedals, but i want adjustable, as MAYBE I need a little more angle for grab, tho I know I'll loose comfort a hair. Cpla cm height increase on outer pedal edge wouldnt hurt a bit. So far the sherman has treated me like a bull at times. it gets rowdy when you do it wrong, but if you can just hang on......:roflmao:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 9:58 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

to keep it leaned with my measely 130lbs at 35mph

I just said to myself earlier today that the Sherman does not corner at speed.

WOW, I thought I was proficient, but I obviously need to go back to training LOL. 

Thank you for the motivation (might need to put some plastic coating on my size 14 shoes as they scrape with moderate tilt/angle).

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

Going to commute to the train station in hopes of catching the first train of the morning tomorrow (0524). Need to get my mechanic's shop on the opposite end of town (San Rafael) to retrieve my work ID (onsite requests are increasing). I have made the ride back to the train/bus a couple of times, but still foreign lands by my terms. Conflicted as to whether I should bring the Sherman or the V11. The speed of the Sherman will aid in catching the train back, but the V11 will assist in unfamiliar terrain.   

V11 is topped off battery wise, not sure about the Sherman... most likely the deciding factor.

Quick note about the Sherman. Hit a smaller speed bump while not paying attention earlier. Rolled right over it with minimal discomfort. I hit the floor and broke my arm in the same situation on a lesser wheel in the past.

The Sherman is the best wheel on the market right now, IMHO.

Primary wheel now. No notice of low pedals or dipping anymore. Have made it through excessive mud and rain with no issues. Tire seating issue is a quick fix (not installing a different rim LOL). Have crashed several times, but no mechanical/cosmetic damage. My knees/hips/lower back hurt like hell for the first month, but it subsides if you stick to it.

Nothing on the market right now matches this wheel. 

5 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Primary wheel now. No notice of low pedals or dipping anymore. Have made it through excessive mud and rain with no issues. Tire seating issue is a quick fix (not installing a different rim LOL). Have crashed several times, but no mechanical/cosmetic damage. My knees/hips/lower back hurt like hell for the first month, but it subsides if you stick to it.

Nothing on the market right now matches this wheel. 

Isnt it amazing what we get used to and no longer notice? I'm enjoying mine as well, finally did some off road. Yup, lower back and knees need a little conditioning. I still notice minor pedal dip, but it's a non issue as I've learned to ride with it. Setting tilt back at +1 and updating the FW helped make it just a small thing and no longer something requiring worry. Good to hear you like yours! I've only ridden 4 types of wheels, so I cant comment on if its the 'best' out right now. I can say that it does what my others can't as far as speed and range.

Edited by ShanesPlanet