Late Fall Sherman

gon2fast

Fight or Flight?

Got into two run-ins with people today concerning my wheel. Not happy about either of them.

While riding home from the market with supplies for dinner I was cruising 5MPH under the speed limit in the bike line along side light traffic. Eventually a Corvette came along side of me and the low-life driving it decided to loudly rev his motor and make a slight veer into the bike lane. First instinct was to catch up to him at the stop sign, place him under citizens arrest reckless endangerment and legally beat his a.. Reality hit and I am not that guy, plus I have a family and a great life so why throw it away over someone else's ignorance. I shot ahead of him at the stop sign and he never caught up, but I could hear that engine revving behind me.

Later that evening while heading out to photograph the fissure that took me out on Saturday I had another social mishap. This time around I am heading down a pitch black path with my headlight on (no flashers). I see a person in the distance and think what the heck am I rolling up on here... I proceed to hop onto a embankment that is parallel with the path to take my beam off of the person. Right away the guy starts screaming about how bright my light is. This was obviously a person sneaking home from the local pub so I took it with a grain of sand. I apologized and he kept going off on me. He then accused me of being the police so I showed him my red flashers.  After I shared what the Sherman was capable of in traffic and why it needs such lighting the guy completely backed down.

It sucks to take a loss in a conflict that is unjust, but it is so much better to be able to ride another day. 

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

275 miles

I took the Sherman to trails today. It is on par with the MSPHT until you get to a steep incline. The Sherman can climb, but not rapidly LOL. The control on downgrades is unreal, i have never experienced such control. 

Another crash happened this afternoon. User error, as usual LOL. I was literally looking at two squirrels, screwed up a mild turn and then jumped off of the wheel when it went off of the path that I was on (probably could have rode it out with higher pedals, but the left pedal was scraping as soon as the wheel hit the dirt). Roll-bar worked perfectly! 

Pretty sure if I had motorcycle sliders the wheel would have tumbled instead of sliding.

https://ibb.co/M5YtqtM - first ride, no damage LOL

https://ibb.co/ypDzFvn - close up of the damage, or lack of 

https://ibb.co/6ZrkZQ7 - further away you can see that damage is hardly noticeable (I could care either which way, these things work for me LOL), 

Edited by gon2fast

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Side note, get some heavy duty Velcro for your Sherman seat. After two crashes the seat stayed attached and also offered some protection to the top of the wheel.  

Yup, learned this one after about 1 city block. Youll need velcro it down as just wind speed alone will take it right off the bar. Be sure to clean with lots of rubbing alcohol for the 3m velcro to stick. I dont ride my seat, but i had the hook end velcro onthe sherman for a bluetooth speaker aimed at my sack, anyhow. Sure sounds like you are enjoying yours. I have yet to drop mine but once it suffers an injury... GAME ON!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Sure sounds like you are enjoying yours

Favorite wheel right now! I have deposit on another wheel, but I am feeling like I do not want to spend my money with other companies until they can step up to this wheel's level.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I was literally looking at two squirrels, screwed up a mild turn and then jumped off of the wheel when it went off of the path that I was on

You might have surprised the squirrels when you crashed.   Not everyday they see a unicycle flying down a trail.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 6:49 PM, gon2fast said:

I am not sure what the general consensus is regarding The Sherman's weatherproofing, but I have been having a blast riding it in wet conditions. This is the perfect winter wheel (IMHO). 

I've ridden mine in rain too without issues, and I haven't done anything to improve the LCD sealing.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:37 AM, gon2fast said:

I took the Sherman to trails today. It is on par with the MSPHT until you get to a steep incline. The Sherman can climb, but not rapidly LOL. The control on downgrades is unreal, i have never experienced such control. 

Yeah I have to say it's a better climber than one would expect based on how heavy it is; as you said, not a fast climber, but it does a decent enough job.

And I agree, downhill control is awesome!

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Trying to get my tire seated a bit better on the rim. Any suggestions? This process is a bit different as compared to a bike where the tire is completely exposed.

It's definitely trickier than any mountain bike tire I've ever changed a tire on. Since I suspect my flat stemmed from an incorrectly seated tire, I put quite a bit of time into getting it to seat properly. I partially inflated the tube so it would hold its shape (as with any tire change), stuck it in the tire, then stuck the valve in the hole in the rim, making sure it was all the way in. Work the tire into place, checked the tube wasn't pinched anywhere, then inflated. Tire line was too low in some places, too high around the valve area. Deflated a little, worked it, found the tube was slightly pinched around the valve. Hard to get your fingers in so I ended up dipping my finger in a soapy water mix and rubbing it around the edges of the tire and even on the tube in the areas where the tire didn't want to slide over it. Took my several attempts of inflating (up to 50 PSI), deflating, reworking, applying more soap, pushing down, making sure the valve was all the way in, etc. until it finally seated properly. Tire spins true, no wobbles at low or higher speeds, no bumpiness, so I hope all is good, I really don't feel like having to disassemble the entire wheel again to change another tube. Man is that tedious...

• Like 1

eWheels offered this up - 

2.) Deflate the tire to a low PSI (15-18, or so), riding it for a dozen yards, and reinflating.

3.) A customer came up with this method which he said solved it better than any other:

Lower the pressure to just a few pounds (enough to keep the tube puffy).
Go around the tire bead and make sure it is free of the rim and that the tube is not pinched. This will allow you to easily move the tire and tube in or out on the rim as necessary.
With the wheel laying on its side, place a straight edge (a carpenter's square works well) on the floor perpendicular to the tread. Place the straight edge in slight contact with the highest spot on the tread. Look between the tread and the straight edge for high or low spots as you rotate the wheel.
Pull or push the tire and tube to center as best as possible(as you rotate the tire, make the gap between the straight edge and tread have as little variance as possible).
Inflate.

image.png
image.png

cleardot.gif

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

Loving the roll bar. The general public hates me, but the lighting solution on my Sherman blows away the V11 headlight (no disrespect, I love both wheels... but I like the Sherman a bit more). 

https://ibb.co/c6Z1xfw - This is with 3 additional front lights

https://ibb.co/xs2KkDw - Quick set up with one additional light

https://ibb.co/L99sw17 - One light set up showing use of second bracket as a "kick-stand" for leaning the wheel against walls, poles, cars, etc. 

https://ibb.co/LkjXKHZ - Closer look at bracket/stand. I do not know what dripped down the side of the dryer lol.

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 2

I guess I need to work on my Sherman etiquette lol - 

1. Had a woman (runner) curse me out multiple times in a business park because she thought I was security (red flashers). 

2. Unintentionally have pulled over 2 cars (red flashers).

3. Cursed out by a drunk guy on a pitch dark path concerning the brightness of my headlight. 

4. Chased through a trailer park at 25MPH by some jackass in a car who wanted to know what I was riding (the last time I slowed down for an interested car I broke my arm and lost the Summer of 2019).

5. Ran into a log and bailed off of the front of the wheel while my neighbors were watching. Not etiquette, just me being an idiot.

Amazingly, I have been met with nothing but happy and intrigue when riding. Perhaps you should quit putting those flashing lights on? I know it wont solve all the issues, but it seems to be continually creating some. If people dont see that bright ass headlight, Im thinking that the flashers wont be noticed. I know people tend to see flashing and color lights a little more, but flashing color seems a bad solution. Perhaps you can install a simple strobing light that isnt colored? Being bright enough to see and NOT pissing people off, is definitely a struggle. Have you adjusted your lighting height and spread to be no higher than a car trunk during accelleration? Nothing pisses people off more, than a bright light in their mirrors. A person standing is ata  much higher eye level than when seated in a car. Properly adjusted, you shouldnt be blinding pedestrians either.  I've adjusted so many headlights and believe it or not, theres laws and specs about it in my area. If nothing else, perhaps you're riding in the wrong part of town? Or, you just happen to be surrounded by assholes, and this is not only likely, but probably a given.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

401 miles. 

I think it is time to reflect.

The Sherman is currently my favorite wheel, but it has its shortcomings that you adapt to once you get some miles in. For example, I do not notice the pedal dipping anymore. It seemed very extreme at first, but once you come to expect it in certain situations there is no discomfort. Low pedals have been a challenge as well, more so when I first started riding the wheel, but I had a Monster so it was easy to adapt. Still adapting to the turning radius. 

Onto the good things. Once again, the Sherman is my favorite wheel right now. I have actually beat the hell out of the thing over the last couple of weeks and it has not flinched. Got caught in a big downpour 3 miles from my house and sped home with no issue. I have crashed 3 times (ran 2 of them out) with little damage to the wheel, roll bar works like a charm (and it easy to color in battle scars with a black marker). The knobby tire destroyed all of the muddy areas around my house. Performance is unreal. I would not say that this wheel is torquey, but it gets going fast very quickly. Once you hit 17-20MPH it really picks up, granted I cap it around 28-30MPH. Not interested in pushing this wheel near its limits, but it is nice to have the ability if need be. The roll bar has allowed me to configure multiple lighting solutions which makes me feel much safer after dark on the Sherman as compared to my other wheels. 

The weight of this wheel has been a blessing for me as well. It feels like a legit vehicle when you are cruising around. It is nice to be able to roll over obstacles that bounce my lighter wheels. When the Sherman does bounce it is kind of like getting punched in the stomach if you do not see it coming.

The Sherman handled my more extreme off road spot well, with some considerations. I usually go to Cane Creek Regional Park early in the AMs with my MSP. When I took the Sherman out I skipped the steep climbs, but it handled everything else very well. I am sure the short bursts of climbing I am referring to won't kill the wheel, but it was expensive LOL.

Let's see if I figure out how to turn this wheel by 1000 miles.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Or, you just happen to be surrounded by assholes, and this is not only likely, but probably a given.

Correct. The people who I run into with complaints usually have a lot more going on than my obnoxious wheel, but I am the perfect punching bag for whatever rage they are feeling. At the end of the day I checked with local law enforcement and they basically gave the thumbs up on the flashers (on & off road) as a safety device. Truth be told, they told me to look into a replacement, but still use it.

On the way home from picking up some last minute gifts for my wife I decided to ride down a walking/biking path near my house that I normally use on my wheel which was pitch dark. I come up on two people walking their dogs with no flashlight, reflectors, light clothing, etc. I stop 100ft away and pull off of the trail to yield (light pointed away from them). As they pass comments about the lights. Not my problem after dark. I want random weirdos on the paths to see me,  same with cars. 

I need to ignore ignorance. 

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Correct. The people who I run into with complaints usually have a lot more going on than my obnoxious wheel, but I am the perfect punching bag for whatever rage they are feeling. At the end of the day I checked with local law enforcement and they basically gave the thumbs up on the flashers (on & off road) as a safety device. Truth be told, they told me to look into a replacement, but still use it.

On the way home from picking up some last minute gifts for my wife I decided to ride down a walking/biking path near my house that I normally use on my wheel which was pitch dark. I come up on two people walking their dogs with no flashlight, reflectors, light clothing, etc. I stop 100ft away and pull off of the trail to yield. As they pass comments about the lights. Not my problem after dark. I want random weirdos on the paths to see me,  same with cars. 

I need to ignore ignorance. 

Well, if the leo says its a go, and you are being met with this type of bullshit... you obviouly can't win so f**k 'em. Either you give up your right to ride and slink into a hole, or you ride the hell on and they can just kiss your ass. Maybe snag some form of personal protection devices for the just in case. I mean hell, if you're surrounded by insanity, perhaps its best to prepare for what you can't avoid. Armor and helmets dont just protect you from the ground ya know!  At any rate. Just keep rolling and if they want to chat, they can talk to you when you are not piloting a vehicle.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Maybe snag some form of personal protection devices for the just in case. I mean hell, if you're surrounded by insanity, perhaps its best to prepare for what you can't avoid.

After the guy chased me through the trailer park my wife suggested a helmet camera. I asked for a baton instead LOL. Really though, a good run is better than a bad stand any day.

17 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

After the guy chased me through the trailer park my wife suggested a helmet camera. I asked for a baton instead LOL. Really though, a good run is better than a bad stand any day.

I guess its area and person dependant. Having tools available and electing NOT to use them, is better than needing tools you neglected to bring. You need a camera to share epic footage anyhow. HAVING to run a camera for safety reasons can be a total pita tho. I do know that I get a little nervous when Im out at 1am on a $3k machine with no phone and darkness that envelopes everything. Escaping is just one tool in my bag, and yes, its probably the best choice when possible. A gopro mounts fine behind the stock headlight tho, and its pretty slick, but you just cant crash with it unless youve gopro insurance and a spare. Hard object in pockets can be troublesome for the ole ribs or other at times. Damn, its always compromises aint it? How about a gopro on a nightstick as a selfie stick? Youll only lose footage when you 'use' the stick, and perhaps thats a good thing!

Edited by ShanesPlanet