eucWatch - Standalone band/watch

@enaon! My bangle2.js from Gordon's kickstarter just got delivered and is charged. The About screen says it's powered by Espruino version 2v10.219.

I sort of assumed that means I don't have to go through the reflashing Espruino, but now I'm not certain because:

• I can pair with the watch from a Moto G7 Play (Android 10) and a Pixel6 (Android 12). Only 1 was connected at a time, the other was powered off during the install to prevent multiple device connections.
  • With the Play, I was able to install 31/31 apps... sort of. I got the green banner that said the apps were installed followed by a red banner "Install failed: undefined"
  • So I tapped the "Disconnect" button, the watch stays on a Bangle.js splash screen (not the animated one that transitions to the tutorial app).
  • Long press rebooting the watch comes back to the Bangle.js splash screen with the addition of "Checking storage..." and "Storage ok."
  • But it's stuck there and no amount of rebooting the watch gets it past the splash screen (since all standard apps were erased, this isn't much of a surprise)

Multiple tries ended up with one of the install attempts failing part way through, this was sufficient so that the next reboot of the watch discovered the storage was corrupted and it reinstalled itself and is now working as a Bangle.

I'm guessing it'd be worth while not doing anything more until you get yours... the shipments to EU are stuck in a snafu with customs from what I read. Good luck with the customs problem, I hope it's easy to resolve.

Thanks for your work on this!

Edited by Tawpie

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

@enaon! My bangle2.js from Gordon's kickstarter just got delivered and is charged. The About screen says it's powered by Espruino version 2v10.219.

I sort of assumed that means I don't have to go through the reflashing Espruino, but now I'm not certain because:

• I can pair with the watch from a Moto G7 Play (Android 10) and a Pixel6 (Android 12). Only 1 was connected at a time, the other was powered off during the install to prevent multiple device connections.
  • With the Play, I was able to install 31/31 apps... sort of. I got the green banner that said the apps were installed followed by a red banner "Install failed: undefined"
  • So I tapped the "Disconnect" button, the watch stays on a Bangle.js splash screen (not the animated one that transitions to the tutorial app).
  • Long press rebooting the watch comes back to the Bangle.js splash screen with the addition of "Checking storage..." and "Storage ok."
  • But it's stuck there and no amount of rebooting the watch gets it past the splash screen (since all standard apps were erased, this isn't much of a surprise)

Multiple tries ended up with one of the install attempts failing part way through, this was sufficient so that the next reboot of the watch discovered the storage was corrupted and it reinstalled itself and is now working as a Bangle.

I'm guessing it'd be worth while not doing anything more until you get yours... the shipments to EU are stuck in a snafu with customs from what I read. Good luck with the customs problem, I hope it's easy to resolve.

Thanks for your work on this!

Don't try using the eucWatch loader with the bangle.js 2 (sma q3) watch yet. 

When I get mine I will port the project for this hardware, and also port parts of the project so as they can be used with the official Bangle.js app loader, along with other banlgejs apps. 

this will be ready by Christmas time I guess, for now you can play with the official Bangle.js loader.

• Like 3

I got a p22b1 a few days ago and went through the steps of uploading eucwatch to it.

The proccess was super easy and worked first time. amazing job enaon

Does anyone know if gadget bridge is still supported? I was trying to connect to it but the watch could not be seen from the app. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, eucDan said:

Does anyone know if gadget bridge is still supported? I was trying to connect to it but the watch could not be seen from the app. 

hi, yes GB is still working fine, follow this link to make it connect for the first time

https://github.com/enaon/eucWatch/issues/6

Also, Inmotion V5/V8/V10 are now working fine, TPMS (tire pressure) sensor integration is also ready, maybe do an update from the loader. 

Edited by enaon

18 hours ago, enaon said:

hi, yes GB is still working fine, follow this link to make it connect for the first time

https://github.com/enaon/eucWatch/issues/6

Also, Inmotion V5/V8/V10 are now working fine, TPMS (tire pressure) sensor integration is also ready, maybe do an update from the loader

Thanks, I tried the Dev mode but GB didn't find it. I'll try changing the watch name when I get to my laptop

8 hours ago, eucDan said:

Thanks, I tried the Dev mode but GB didn't find it. I'll try changing the watch name when I get to my laptop

It will find it on the dev mode, just give it more time, maybe disable/enable the BT on the phone before, but mostly give it time, up to a minute sometimes. 

Edited by enaon

2 hours ago, Mauricio said:

Hi, latest update is crashing in my P22, touchscreen stops working  after a while, any ideas?

wheel type?

If you are on older firmware please upgrade, touch lost is a mem issue, it will be gone by following this:
https://github.com/enaon/eucWatch/wiki/Firmware

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, enaon said:

wheel type?

If you are on older firmware please upgrade, touch lost is a mem issue, it will be gone by following this:
https://github.com/enaon/eucWatch/wiki/Firmware

Veteran Sherman, I will upgrade later, thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, enaon said:

thanks, It could be that I missed something, but most portably it is the mem. Please report if all is ok after you upgrade. 

Firmware upgraded, apps erased and re installed, but issue persists. At first start works properly, I am able to do some settings, and pair my Sherman; but after disconnect, touch screen turns irresponsive at all

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mauricio said:

Firmware upgraded, apps erased and re installed, but issue persists. At first start works properly, I am able to do some settings, and pair my Sherman; but after disconnect, touch screen turns irresponsive at all

thank you,

if you use telegram, can you please enter the "euc.gr eucWatch testing" group, so that I can run a debug on your watch since you can reproduce it, it will be easier to find the problem this way. 

of we can do it from the pm system here if you like. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

But I'm reluctant to recommend it to friends until a simple UI manual is available... else I'll be on the hook for endless questions :)

The watch works great but the user interface isn't at all obvious. Rather than adding extra functionality all the time, it would be nice if it could just be made simpler.

5 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Can the watch be commanded to shut down, for longer-term storage between rides?

I worried about this but the watch keeps it's charge for about a month so it's a non issue. 

A picture is worth a thousand words... @enaon for your next update, how about showing a picture of every mode and menu, with markups showing a 5-word explanation of the function of each button? Similar to your format below:

On 6/10/2021 at 8:54 AM, enaon said:

2.jpg.f956c3d1ee54dcc4aff6fb86db017843.jpg

p.s. the "Photos" section of your frontpage is broken

6 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Rather than adding extra functionality all the time, it would be nice if it could just be made simpler.

I think that's what the "simple" speedometer mode is for- it works :)
The trick is to avoid temptation to leave the simple screen and poke around...

4 hours ago, enaon said:

the Magic and the Rock, the next gen watches

Hmm, are they better? Slight concern about bulk...

AM-JKLUClz-q3oB1R6i2fkLPEGnhI1jUtRfXd6iieTSw7H1rVEl4V0AFHOBVttZd-_UUzhhXyUxRoxuFDK0lHMflduIpqOOkO287AfD7F2Ap4JyGCGTiDG9tlbDXuF3NwuKAP8p41hmV6J-Ekqyb_M0gfaFt9A=w531-h201-no?authuser=0

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

A picture is worth a thousand words... @enaon for your next update, how about showing a picture of every mode and menu, with markups showing a 5-word explanation of the function of each button? Similar to your format below:

I agree. :)

on the one you have the watch on your hand, I can see that the accel type is set at bma421. Was that done automatically, or did you manually change it to bma421?

I am not sure a p22 exists with the bma421, but if was auto recognized and works, it is good news I think.

If you manually selected it, check that "hand up to wake"/"hand down to sleep" is working when connected to the euc, if not, change it back to the sc7a20.

AM-JKLVPnW0Eh3xwKM3mRooBgmTZMKO478Cix52I

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

Love this watch! I just ordered elastic wristbands to wear the watch over winter gloves.

I notice the EUCwatch turns off the Sherman headlamp whilst lit when reconnecting.

DarknessBot will say 99% charged, whilst EUCWatch says 91% at 99.35 Volts on my Sherman.  A small concern. 

Turning off the alerts, vibration, appears to extend battery life on the P8.

Small suggestions for watch:

• It would be nice to be able to turn the side LEDs off/on. On my Nik+, I sometimes accidentally turn the LEDs on and then have to fiddle forever to turn the damn things off again. It would also be really nice if it remembered your chosen LED setting when it did turn them back on.
  • The simple display shows the speed fine but it would be nice if I could also see the battery% (or max amps or temp) at a glance. A background bar graph would be good for me. There might already be something showing this but I'm getting old and I can't read tiny numbers at the best of times, but especially when I'm riding a unicycle through traffic.
  • It would be better if there was a standard way to indicate that something can be altered (by pressing it) or there's another screen that can be swiped to. I only recently discovered how to change the speed from kph to mph though oddly the max speed seemed to stay in kph.
  • You definitely need to make the whole interface simpler. Some things like the torch/insect repellent/text editor just aren't really required on an EUC watch ;) 

How do people attach the watch to their wrist guard here? I have the rubber strap of the watch going through my guard but it means having to wiggle my hand past the rubber strap every time I put the guard on. Is there an easy way of attaching the watch to the outside of the guard?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GothamMike said:

I notice the EUCwatch turns off the Sherman headlamp whilst lit when reconnecting.

Hi,  the watch reverts the lights to the state of the switch on the menu upon connection. Try turning the lights on from the watch for them to stick. The battery empty/full limits can be set from dash options now, maybe try calibrating, but they will not be the same as DB, I am doing linear conversion to 0-100%

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

• enaon changed the title to eucWatch - Standalone band/watch