Paragliders, paramotors, parachutes..anyone?

It's good to see you up in the air but I'm guessing VFR doesn't apply in your part of the world ;) It's a scary thing if the fog thickens (or you just hit a thick patch) and you can't see the ground anymore. An altimeter and bubble compass might help but there's a reason they have VFR rules :) That field looks much better to use for take offs and landings than your previous field.

Edited by mike_bike_kite
  • Like 1

VFR does apply. We thought the fogwas much higher. My first flight was only 1.5minutes into the climb and went whiteout... Trial by fire baby, nearly shit myself. I just kept thinking.... climb baby, climb! Then I realized that if i got ABOVE the fog, I'd still not be able to see the LZ. You would have laughed your ass off watching me guess at which way to go. I was just BARELY trying to turn. I had to guess if i was climbing or dropping. About as soon as i lost visuals, it came back and I was pretty near the field. After skipping the bottom of the frame on power lines on landing, I was pretty worn out. The 'instructor' was worried shitless when he lost sight. He said he could at least HEAR me and thats always a good  sign.  Im prepping for my next flight everyday.. fun stuff!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

You know that flight into IFR conditions is one of the major killers in general aviation!

While getting my IFR license I got disoriented pretty fast after flying into IFR conditions and that is with instrument that show you your orientation!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please be careful! The sport has been growing and is under a lot of scrutiny already. Every accident leads to the possibility of more regulation. Make sure to learn how to read the weather, and where and when it is legal and not legal to fly. I recommend getting your hands on the PPG Bible. Its for sale on Amazon.

As for the  high tension lines, they won't hurt you unless you touch something grounded at the same time. I've seen a few scary videos of people hanging from power lines. They'd get zapped when they swung too close the pole.

Here's a video of one of my favorite flights:

Edited by Scott Dorand
  • Like 1

@Scott Dorand noted and thanks. Power lines can get you if you manage to pull one into another as well :)  So far I'm in learn phase and have had 4 flights. Regulation is not far off, theres already talk of changing the licensing for 'sport pilot' or something? Don't quote me, but my instructor mentioned that they were widening the reach of the lowest licensing. This indicates to me that they will be more than likely doing away with far 103 and experimental aircraft regs soon.  I just speculate, but like everything else (including eucs), legislation will come. I think its to make money AND instill a sense of false security in life in general. You know, once it regulated, itll be much safer, just like cars and how they dont harm anyone anymore.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I still remember the first time I got air.  The only reason I sold my rig and stopped flying was that it would take me an entire day to go out and fly for an hour or so.  Plus, I really wanted a motorcycle at the time and made the trade.  Now that I think about it I would love to take it up again, but that would be too many hobbies.  I have to limit myself or I can lose control really quick.  Used to fly with a bunch of guys, they used to have a group, PAPPG.  Probably still around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have people doing that in our small town. I suppose one of the attractions is our town is right in the middle of a cluster of airports and has open air space. So on weekends sometimes we see 3 or 4 up there.

I think about doing that...or jumping out of plane....it takes me about  0.0010 seconds to decide to pass on that. I hate being on airplanes, so I can't imagine one of those.

More power to ya though.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 9:50 AM, Mr A.A said:

Found this Interesting Electric paramotor a while ago, have been following the developments since.

Yeah, if I ever get back into it, I would go electric.  I used to hate mixing gas and deal with that small engine.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:51 AM, Albatross said:

I still remember the first time I got air.  The only reason I sold my rig and stopped flying was that it would take me an entire day to go out and fly for an hour or so.  Plus, I really wanted a motorcycle at the time and made the trade.  Now that I think about it I would love to take it up again, but that would be too many hobbies.  I have to limit myself or I can lose control really quick.  Used to fly with a bunch of guys, they used to have a group, PAPPG.  Probably still around.

Too many hobbies? Blasphemy. You only get one time around per life, fill it with joy and don't look back. Loose control? I call that living life fuller than expected :)

14 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

We have people doing that in our small town. I suppose one of the attractions is our town is right in the middle of a cluster of airports and has open air space. So on weekends sometimes we see 3 or 4 up there.

I think about doing that...or jumping out of plane....it takes me about  0.0010 seconds to decide to pass on that. I hate being on airplanes, so I can't imagine one of those.

More power to ya though.

I HATE planes and heights. I get air sick too. My first time skydiving I was so sick and scared, I did NOT want to jump. The realization that if i didnt jump, I'd have to sit here longer until he lands this hunk of aluminum shit, was enough for me to take that step into the abyss. Ive been hooked ever since. Now I fly a paramotor and I AM the pilot. Still scares the shit out of me and makes me ill. However, its warranted, as I know the asshole who's in charge and hes an idiot.

Im waiting on battery tech. Eventually we'll have better batteries for euc's and planes and motorcycles. Until then, its either compromises of range/weight or these dumb ass 2 -stroke gas guzzlers.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

@ShanesPlanet Understandable. I also, as a small child used to HATE rollercoasters. When I was about 8 years old I remember going to 6-flags. Everyone was raising their hands so I did, on the first big drop. I remember floating up and hititng my knees on the bar, thinking if that wasn't there, I would have been a gonner. But, as an adult....I LOVE roller coasters. There is always the thrill of going on your first ride on a new coaster, and once you do it...you want more.

I think I will limit my flying to drones for now though (see other thread here) :).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2020 at 11:58 AM, Circuitmage said:

@ShanesPlanet Understandable. I also, as a small child used to HATE rollercoasters. When I was about 8 years old I remember going to 6-flags. Everyone was raising their hands so I did, on the first big drop. I remember floating up and hititng my knees on the bar, thinking if that wasn't there, I would have been a gonner. But, as an adult....I LOVE roller coasters. There is always the thrill of going on your first ride on a new coaster, and once you do it...you want more.

I think I will limit my flying to drones for now though (see other thread here) :).

You are missing out. I mean hell, you can't tell me this didnt look like more fun for the weekend than any one man should be able to have! What you didnt see in the vid is the sherman blasting down the street at 40mph with a dork in blue jeans and a smoke.  Ironic is... the plane wore me out, my little baby mten wore him out. SOld my 190cc thor and stepped down to an atom 80cc. I miss the power but not the weight. I can already tell that I'll be stepping back up to a 185cc if I can get any stronger and keep figuring more out each season. No replacement for displacement I guess. It is nice being so quiet people on the ground cant hear me aloft.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I put together a rig a few years back that ended up way too heavy for back pack app. Never got it off the ground. Took a couple of glide flights on a small hill nearby. Very exciting. Still dream about it. Nice vid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

I put together a rig a few years back that ended up way too heavy for back pack app. Never got it off the ground. Took a couple of glide flights on a small hill nearby. Very exciting. Still dream about it. Nice vid.

Yeah, its amazing how heavy they get so quickly. Mines still too heavy for me, but they dont make em much lighter. I'm a little underpowered now too, so I can see me adding more weight in engine eventually. Why not have another go at it? Same basic stuff, just now they have a little bit lighter options. Legislation is coming and we aint getting any younger!

:eff02be2d7:  Holy crap, is that a smoking emoji? Well I'll be! Now we just need one with a smoke and shades on. B)

Hooray! I got the balls to go to my 'local' airport and try to fly uninstructed. Success all around. Still getting a little 'airsick', but not near as overwhelmingly scary as the first half dozen or so times. Not my best landing, but who doesnt enjoy a little sitting in the grass now and then?

• Like 3

Nice flight! Perhaps time to invest in a cheap air sock? I know what you mean about take offs, they always scared me. I felt OK with backward launches but forward launches always had me sweating. Your forward launch was better than mine ever was. Your landings look a little "unplanned" though ;) 

I always wanted a quieter paramotor, I loved it when gliding around in the air but I could easily see take offs or low flights really annoying people. Problem was 4 stroke motors weighed more and had less power. Going for a larger diameter prop might of worked but then it's easier to break the prop on landing etc. I also wondered whether these things might allow me to fly for longer - most of my flights were for 2 or 3 hours but the 4 stroke promised 5 hour flights. In the end I  just bought ear plugs.

Do you ever adjust the trims on your wing?

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Hooray! I got the balls to go to my 'local' airport and try to fly uninstructed

Awesome! Going solo the first time can be a bit unsettling. Curious. Even though it’s a small airport there are planes and helicopters landing. Do paragliders need a radio to report their location or landing intentions so other pilots in the vicinity are aware? 

Edited by Rehab1

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Awesome! Going solo the first time can be a bit unsettling. Curious. Even though it’s a small airport there are planes and helicopters landing. Do paragliders need a radio to report their location or landing intentions so other pilots in the vicinity are aware? 

I'm not licensed to operate an airband radio. Paramotoring requires NO licensing. I have a radio that can LISTEN on airband but not send. I also have an airband radio, but legally i am not allowed to TX on it. My airport closes at 5:30pm, so there's no tower to report to after that time. I'd imagine a radio won't help as much as one would hope, especially since the helicopter pilot is 'used to paramotors', but doesnt care to keep from flying above them during landings.  I also see small planes flying opposite the traffic pattern. So its pretty much a free for all. Luckily the paramotor is such a tough plane that isnt succeptible to rotor or dangerous aruond copters in any way.:laughbounce2: Still safer than an euc on the street or simply living in NYC.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

9 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Nice flight! Perhaps time to invest in a cheap air sock? I know what you mean about take offs, they always scared me. I felt OK with backward launches but forward launches always had me sweating. Your forward launch was better than mine ever was. Your landings look a little "unplanned" though ;) 

I always wanted a quieter paramotor, I loved it when gliding around in the air but I could easily see take offs or low flights really annoying people. Problem was 4 stroke motors weighed more and had less power. Going for a larger diameter prop might of worked but then it's easier to break the prop on landing etc. I also wondered whether these things might allow me to fly for longer - most of my flights were for 2 or 3 hours but the 4 stroke promised 5 hour flights. In the end I  just bought ear plugs.

Do you ever adjust the trims on your wing?

I have an airsock, so does the airport. I simply couldnt see them from so far away. My wife is so funny, she left the sock hanging off the truck as she drove the taxi lane to come get me. I rather learn to feel the direction when I can. I blame the chopper for the landing. I still need to learn the glide path obviously. I was going to fly low the runway and land closer to the hangers, but that damn chopper was coming for my ass. I think my tank holds enough for 4 hrs, but i turn green within about 30 minutes anyhow.:barf: In the mountains, I was told that if I need reverse launch, DONT FLY! You suckers in open land and near the beaches got it easy. The tiny motor is great for my 130lb ass (89kg including reserve and fuel). However, I do miss the climb rate of my old thor 190. I WISH i could have a 4 stroke, but way too heavy. 2 strokes are a joke of an engine in compare to a smooth reliable 4 stroker, no doubt. Im running the largest prop my cage allows fwiw. Im already a member of the 'busted prop club' as I rolled my trike in slow motion and ate one. Its being repaired as we speak.

I LOVE my helmet. it blocks noise a lot. it also has bluetooth with radio interrupt and I can have both my ham and aviation radio hooked in with seperate ptt buttons. I would ride helmet free (prolly will), but having noise protection and radio, tips the scales to being worth the hasstle.

My wing doesnt have trimmers, its an old schol Gin Atlas. It does have speed bar hookups, but I havent gotten to using that yet. I'll need a new wing in a season or two. Mine checked out great, but i am under its certified loading. Its a good wing tho, hard to mess it up. I can pull brakes to my ass and almost take wraps before it gets angry with me. Good quality for a chute when the pilot likes to flare too damn early.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

I haven't flown my paramotor for years and I'm not all that sure I will fly it again. However I was in the French Alps and watching the paragliders flying around the mountains and I couldn't help myself. I signed up for a course and will hopefully have a shot this July. Today I got my wing out the garage and inspected it for mice then went to my local park to practice some ground handling. It was quite funny flying the damn thing from the top of the hill with a circus setting up it's tent down below. I think people assumed I was part of the circus. It didn't help that I initially arrived on the EUC to check the wind out. I had some funny chats with people.

• Like 1